don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I just found something in SA2: bomb-spawning enemies that meet certain conditions (I'm not entirely sure what those conditions are) have a random 5% chance of spawning a ring instead of a bomb. I don't know if any enemies in the game meet the requirements, but it can be hacked to make enemies always produce rings.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic X-Treme did get released!

http://www.amazon.com/X-treme-Personal-Cassette-Featuring-Hedgehog/dp/B0085XOUSC

3. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Just remembered one of the UK magazines, when doing a feature on the soon-to-be-released Sega Saturn, printed a mockup of what a 3D Sonic game might look like. If I remember correctly it was just Sonic collecting some rings in Green Hill Zone, with a loop in the background and Robotnik flying overhead.

Most likely it was created by the magazine, but trying to track it down (might have been Gamesmaster).

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The Sonic R prototypes are... inconvenient to deal with so this might be covered there but some Sonic R prototype footage.

A few things I noticed
    - All the AI players rocket off of the starting line - AI knuckles doesn't seem to have a standing animation.
    - Sunset in Resort Island
    - Old character icons
    - AI Knuckles' rotation on the loop seems... dodgy (you can barely make it out)
    - Characters almost seem... balanced. There are situations where AI-controlled Amy is shown to be the race leader - I don't think I've ever seen that in the fifteen years since the game's launch. Usually the characters always finish in a specific order based on raw speed - it's one of the reasons I don't like the game.
    - Difficult to see, but the item... things and Sonic coins don't rotate
    - Dodgy lighting on Sonic? Sometimes he has a purple tint, as if the sunset Resort Island's lighting is being used on the daytime version.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    ^ Somewhat off-topic, but wow does that battle HUD for Panzer Dragoon Saga look different. Everything appears to be in the correct place, but the bar itself is more of a generic shape than the one used in the final product.

Also using Duke Nukem 3D music for Quake, lol

6. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ges8jf3KW7Q

I don't think I have ever been more angry at an otherwise positive review for a game I like before. It is his negative points that rub me the wrong way. It is like someone looking at a car, moving the steering wheel back and forth a few seconds and then tells everyone he knows that it doesn't run, even though all he had to do was look at the key in the ignition. He then condemns the radio without turning it on, just because it has that old fashioned needle that you need to find music station yourself as in previous cars before it.

You can make ANY game seem bad if you leave out information like this, either by ignorance or purposely. Like this guy.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry if this comes up as impolite, but how does an infuriating fan review qualify for this topic?

Also, you don't like it but you're giving it more views. =|

8. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    It is
    1: Sonic related
    2: Isn't worth making a new thread over

That said, it is again still an ultimately positive review. I just have to nitpick his flawed negative points is all.

9. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The only flawed negative points I would have is the special stage one, as he says that he hasn't even played them before.

The others are just matters of opinion, but who honestly can say that they can't remember Sunset Park Zone Act 3 music?

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hey kids have some prototype Sonic 2 footage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQsSOOugvcw
    0:40 - 1:58

I couldn't see much of a difference outside of the old title screen and Chemical Plant loops. Maybe you can? The Master System version turns up around the 37 minute mark (placeholder music?) and the Game Gear version of Sonic 1 at about 54 minutes.

It was Shinobi III that caught my eye with its title screen... but then I don't really know the development history of that one so it might be well known

this is "La Sega Video N°2", a promotional video from France. N°1 exists but it's generally less interesting.

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL

He also goes on and on about how Tails is useless, because "he plays exactly like sonic" without talking about how Tails can you know...FLY.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Holy shit, that Shinobi III footage is the real highlight of that video. I might be the most finalised known version before the game was completely revamped.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe that particular Special Stage ever has a trail of single rings like that.

14. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    They are missing the trail of rings to the side of them to make it a zig-zag trail of rings.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The... other Spanish Sonic 2 promotional video. Kinda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-_-QgY7KY
    (13:41) also a few seconds of footage towards the end

SWS2B/S2B spent its days talking about a different one. This one doesn't spend as much time with the game, but same sort of deal - rounded loops in Chemical Plant, Tails has Sonic's life icon in two player mode... and Tails can't fly it seems (and does he lose rings on behalf of Sonic - I can't tell).

This is why you missed it:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    on the left is "Lo Nunca Visto de Sega Presentando Sonic the Hedgehog 2", which as been documented for years

on the right is "Lo Nunca Visto de Sega Presentando Mega-CD", which is the video I've posted above. Same magazine, similar covers, totally different cassettes

as a bonus you get a bit of Ninja Gaiden, which was cancelled before release

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I made a small but somewhat surprising Sonic R discovery earlier today.

This is the version of "Back In Time" I'm familiar with:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAeBXh25NiQ[/video]

...and here's another version of "Back In Time".
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jles_BMgynE[/video]

Now, here's what I noticed: the first video, the one I'm familiar with, has a little woodwind of some sort play a little ditty in between the verses. The second video does not. Why's that? I'd guess it was a difference between the lyrical/non-lyrical versions, but that's clearly not the case, since they both have TJ Davis singing in them. Was there a difference between these tracks in the Saturn/PC releases I wasn't previously aware of?

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You know what? Sonic R had the best VG soundtrack of all time. Of all time.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That is really weird. Of course I had one of the PC copies that lacked the CD audio (so I just burnt CD-R copies that had the audio appended to it).

Not sure why they'd have cut out the flute line. I doubt it's a licensing issue, I mean, they used it in Jungle Joyride and all...

19. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Huh, that's really interesting. I just checked on my (admittedly PAL) Saturn and 1998 PC copies and both of them have the thing. I wonder which version doesn't?

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Huh, that's really odd. Maybe it's in the Gems Collection version?