don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MoI

MoI

Rex Member
    Strange glitch in Sonic 2: I was playing on the Wii's Virtual Console (I doubt this really matters) Level-selected to the Death Egg and fought Mecha Sonic. I did the usual hit-him-four-times-when-he-comes-down, then he dashed to the other side of the room where I hit him three times, and the fourth time a little late than I usually do. Mecha Sonic was 'defeated' but the screen was still locked and the fire from the jets was flipped and hanging in mid air. I haven't got a photo but sound filmier anyone?

Also, small nagget of infomation: Dr Robonik doesn't smile in S3K when the player is hit, something I kinda missed from S1/2. Supposed he was just a little more than pissed at the Death Egg incident. :P

2. Flygon

Flygon

I would say that glitch is caused by poor emulation more than anything, similar things have happened before on the mega collections.

3. In Sonic 3, if you activate level select and debug cheats, go into the level select, change the sound selection to FF, select any 2P level (Azure Lake works best) and hold down C+Start on controller 2 (and keep them held until the level starts), the level runs roughly 4 times as fast. If you select sound 80 and then do this, the level will run twice as fast. Kinda pointless, but cool all the same.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I just found a bug in Sonic 1 for the Genesis.
    If you don't have rings, "RINGS" will flash.
    If you don't have rings, and you are in the nineth minute, both "RINGS" and "TIME" will flash.
    If you are in the nineth minute, BUT you have at least one ring, "TIME" won't flash.

This happens because the flashing routine is branched when you have at least one ring, and the check for the timer isn't performed at all.
    Code (Text):
    1. Obj21_Flash:            ; XREF: Obj21_Main
    2.         tst.w   ($FFFFFE20).w; do you have any rings?
    3.         beq.s   Obj21_Flash2; if not, branch
    4.         clr.b   $1A(a0) ; make all counters yellow
    5.         jmp DisplaySprite

5. Vangar

Vangar

Does that actually happen in an untouched rom or is there a problem with the disassembly? I wouldn't know personally.

6. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, it happens also in a clean rom. I never post without double checking.

Proof.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haha, spot on! It should be fairly easy to fix, too, if you want to take up that challenge. :thumbsup:

8. nineko

nineko

italy
    Oh yes I already fixed it. I had to...

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as "Other Knowledge" but in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I have a save game for both Tails and Knuckles that allows them to access Doomsday Zone and Death Egg Zone without having to go to level select:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want a savestate just ask.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Might be an emu bug, but it happens on Genesis Plus for the wii, and kega.

On Sonic and Knuckles I was Knuckles, skidded from landing after gliding, and bumped the boss. Eggman came out of the ground instead of eggrobo.

It was on Mushroom hill.

It doesn't seem to work if I touch the ground during the screen lock. It's hard to pull off, seems like a 1/10 chance for it to work.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I've actually had that one happen to me on my Mega Drive once, so I don't think it's an emu bug. =P

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Dreamcast final/DX Preview build:
    [​IMG]

DX Final/Review build:
    [​IMG]

See that new rock formation they added? I would say they added that to fix a glitch or exploit, but I can't think of what you could possibly do over there. There might be more around DX, but it's a little hard to find them unless I had both copies of Sonic Adventure running at the same time. :\

13. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I remember reading it works if you get either 6 or 7 (can't remember) emeralds on MHZ.

14. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    An easy way of getting Eggman instead of Eggrobo in MHZ as knuckles is to die during the boss fight. The second time, Eggman will be there. (This was fixed in the S&K Collection for PC)

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Hey guys, in regarding as to why the header to Sonic Crackers is Sonic Studium...

[​IMG]

I think this was mentioned somewhere else before, and the thing itself is pretty old. This should help you guys at least a little bit I hope. :rolleyes:

EDIT: For those who didn't know, this was a removed feature from Pokemon Crystal (US) that's partially translated but got removed around translating the thing. In the Japanese version, this would've been there. The whole purpose of this thing was to connect to Pocket Monsters Stadium 3's (or in our country, Pokemon Stadium 2) special unlockable stadium called "Mobile Stadium" using the GB Mobile add on which was released in Japan for the Game Boy Color (I also found some games use GB Mobile for the GBA, and during the developement of GBA, they were planning some sort of internet connectivity via a mobile phone for the device. I'll have to look for the mag article later).

16. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
  17. nineko

nineko

italy
  18. Bozo

Bozo

I found out something in Sonic 2 Nick Arcade Proto. In one player in HTZ Act 2 (SBZ2 in the level select), the game crashes midway. Well, if you do split-screen in that level, you can bypass the part. Here's an example of how I did it. ******I ONLY USED DEBUG MODE TO GET OVER TO THE PLACE EASIER******

[​IMG]
    The normal part where the game crashes.

[​IMG]
    Tails, however, passes through the part without the game crashing. You need to jump over the next block to continue.

[​IMG]
    Tails eventually falls through a pit.

[​IMG]
    And Tails is able to trigger the next level, HTZ Act 3 (SBZ3).

Same thing goes for FZ, Tails can bypass the crashing part, but it reveals that the level can only be explored if you have debug on, make a spring or another item that propels you, and Tails can jump on it and over the loop. The level is just revealed to be a level similar to S1's FZ, but you fall into a pit after a few moments of walking.

19. Flygon

Flygon

Nice find Bozo, but a suggestion for future posts.

1. Use PNG's instead of JPG's, quality > lack of quantity.
    2. Even if it is difficult, try to take screenshots without debug, even if you do explain that you used it to get around easier you will still get the random skeptic.

Otherwise, nice find. But why does it not crash?

If you really want a thought, the game does not check the 2nd players coordinates when loading the event?

20. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yea, the game checks for Sonic's camera coordinates to load events. Tails uses different ram values so the event never loads.