don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    I don't know if it has been mentionned yet, but the music Sonic whistles in Sonic Adventure 2 when near a chao ruin or whatever you call it sounds like the begining of the sound test 10 (hidden palace) of sonic 2.

2. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    None of the games show TM when played on a japanese system(or not supposed to. :P ), as there is no such thing as trademarking in Japan. :P

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWni3s0yQ4Y

At about 43 seconds the chorus starts, the first "line" sounds like part of the Green Hill Zone music.

Compare that to this at about 0:15.

It's...debatable, but that's what everyone's talking about when they carry on about Dreams of an Absolution sounding like the GHZ theme. Though I think Lee Brotherton once said it wasn't even intentional.

4. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I can hardly hear the similarity, and think if at all that's just a coincidence. Regardless, DoaA is an absolutely awesome song. <3

5. The similarity is a lot more noticeable in the instrumental version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGymtG6QG8

While I agree it's probably a coincidence, it's an awesome one.

And speaking of bizarre music similarities, in Sonic Shuffle, the music that the goddess...fairy...thing plays on the harp during the introduction sounds a little like a sped up "Walkin'" from Knuckles Chaotix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-F7lXFuHw
    Listen at 1:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW1SSb0zt_E
    For comparison

A slight resemblance, I know, but that's what I thought the first time I played Sonic Shuffle...shortly thereafter I thought the loading times were bad and that the computer cheats.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned

I just thought about it, and now I know what the resemblance is! It's referring to the second portion of the melody at the beginning of the song (where the actual melody starts, after the beginning chords). Yeah, that's definitely a coincidence... but it's hard to make the connection out of context like that. That's the only resemblance it shares with the song, and even then, there's probably a lot of songs with that exact note progression in it! Pretty hard to claim there's any outright relation, in my opinion.

As for the Walkin'/Shuffle intro relation, I seem to remember that too. I think someone made a topic about it... what, couple of years back or so? Same as the deal with the DoaA relation, but interesting nonetheless.

Gotta love overactive imaginations. =P

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just asking, shouldn't similarities in songs be posted in this thread instead?
    That would require a major bump, but...

8. Shade

Shade

Yeah, that would be me. Once again.

And the riff is TOTALLY in there. Seriously, go listen.

9. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Standard shield sound is in S3K sound test. I wonder if the code for this item is available in the game.

10. Apparently it is, Stealth's labeled the object at $18756 as Obj_Shield_S2, so I'm assuming that's it.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, that's actually pretty interesting! You think they may have planned to include the normal shield in with the others? That's what we did in Megamix, and there's not that much conflict with it—fits right in, really.

If they did plan to include it, then I wonder why they removed it? It seems to odd they'd just leave it in there... but then again, the whole Sonic 2 options menu and the original surfboarding intro are in the game, too, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. =P

12. Flygon

Flygon

I actually posted about the shield sound 2 years ago and got panned for it being obvious. :P

But yeah, I noticed it too and thought it was odd, I was just simply screamed at told that is was beta leftovers.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, I'm willing to bet they were simply too lazy to remove it...

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, that's not it. The Sonic 3 sound driver is a complete rewrite and revamp from the Sonic 2 sound driver—it works more like traditional SMPS, compared to the various differences that Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 had with stock SMPS. They wouldn't have put the sound effect in there if they didn't have full intentions of using it at some point. I believe that firmly.

15. I don't think they got very far with the idea of including it though - the code, other than the art pointer and SST changes, is identical to the one from Sonic 2, and if they had actually planned on including it along with all other shields, then at the very least its deletion routine would have code to put the instashield back in its place. Isn't it just possible they planned to include it originally but then decided on the elemental shields instead and for some reason didn't remove the code and sound effect?

16. PowerChaos

PowerChaos

Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are the same thing, except they had to be split into separate cartridges due to time and money problems. So, anything that you find regarding Sonic and Knuckles when playing Sonic 3 isn't worth of a mention, since it can be easily found by any old loser who enjoys wasting time on Gens with debug mode on. And besides, it's nothing really special.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Too bad that doesn't matter in this topic! See, in this topic, everything is worth a mention—that's the whole point.

So if I can ask you to stop being a dick to the forum members, I'd appreciate it. You don't control what gets posted in this thread.

18. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    In S1 GG, if you wait for Sonic to start the "tapping" animation and press Pause, he returns immediately to his standard pose.

Something that doesn't happen in the SMS version.

19. PowerChaos

PowerChaos

Tweaker: Being different's not being a dick. But I'll listen to you.
    In Sonic Adventure, Hot Shelter is the only level that the main characters of Sonic miss out on. Tikal is a reference to the Mayans.