don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Oh, that part. Well, I still think it's a bit ambiguous, non-conclusive. Blaze saying "A blue hedgehog...?!" and "Iblis Trigger, a blue hedgehog... is it really true? I need to find Silver fast." might indicate that she knows the blue hedgehog is Sonic, but I can see these lines being interpreted as if she doesn't know him and is just thinking about it.

Perhaps this could be considered a headcanon, since the writers' intention was to make Blaze already know Sonic, but almost anything about this game becomes a headcanon. If there is a possibility of interpreting these lines as non-conclusive (which is actually my opinion), that is enough for the plot to make some sense.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Yeah, ultimately I think headcanon is necessary for 06 (and let’s be honest, a lot of the games) to really work at all. And in that sense it’s really up to each person on what they want to believe, so despite all the nitpicking I’ve done, I guess it’s not really correct to say someone’s interpretation of the facts is outright wrong.

3. One of these days, someone we've never met before will suddenly appear in here out of the shadows and have a perfect, solved timeline and we'll all finally agree on something lol

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Part of this entire thing is trying to make things as cohesive as possible, and I think making concessions is going to have to come in, and at some point if Sonic Team isn't afraid to ignore certain very specific details, you might as well make a few exceptions as well. Blaze not knowing Sonic, intended or not, is the most plausible way to keep as much of what happens *mattering* in some way without making otherwise major changes like completely ignoring Blaze's existence in the story altogether (what I chose to do for a good while)
    Also on an entirely different subject and to avoid a wall of text:
    It kind of makes me happy that people actually let the marketing words of "This is the world of the games" for Chronicles go since that world is clearly new and born from the minds of fans of the series during the late 2000s who all have different favorite parts of the series and most of it is borrowed from non-canon multimedia stuff because they probably don't have as many resources to refer to and, as cool as the world they created is, it isn't really part of the games at its heart despite its cameo in Mario and Sonic 2010. I wish otherwise could be true but it was never meant to be.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

But I'm right here!
    #01- CLASSIC ERA TIMELINE 2021.png
    #02- ADVENTURE ERA TIMELINE 2021.png
    #03- MODERN ERA TIMELINE 2021.png

6. On the one hand, this all actually makes complete sense based on all of my knowledge of the franchise- good job-

On the other hand...

If this timeline you've made is the be all, end all answer to the franchise's troubles, why are you still in here arguing about key details lol? :D

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Because there is always something that I don't know, or didn't remember, or am not quite sure, and I end up changing it. The last change was to place Sonic Rivals 2 before Sonic and the Secret Rings, because of the two Ifrit monsters.

8. _Sidle

_Sidle

Honestly pretty amazing that '06/Rush/Rivals is the only truly enormous headache involving important characters/backstory in 30 years of content.
    It's mostly come down to picking and arranging a few pieces how you see fit:
    • CD and Advance 1+2's placement
    • many sequels of 3K (Chaotix/4E1+2/Mania)
    • where to place Riders+ZG+Free
    • ever-so-slightly different events in ColoursDS and Generations3DS
    • bothering to include/where to place the Game Gear games, R, Fighters, Pocket Adventure, Pinball Party, Chronicles, mobile games, TSR
    Seeing a number of logical and satisfying placements stick around across many lists, across many more pages, is always fun to see take form:
    • SegaSonic before 1
    • Shadow before Battle (+ Advance 3)
    • Unleashed before Black Knight

9. Maybe I should use your timeline @raphael_fc and attempt to work the game gear games into it...? I've always wanted to try my hand at that :p

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Good luck!

In my first attempt to create this timeline I actually tried to fit the Game Gear titles after Generations (because Tails finally went to Green Hill after the end of the game). But people here shown me that Knuckles is a stranger to Sonic in Sonic Triple Trouble. And that just fucked up everything.

Of course we can always ignore some details in order to make a coherent timeline, and that would be one of them. But I decided to consider the 8-bit titles a separate universe.

11. Wait really? I thought Knuckles just got tricked again like Adventure and Advance 2? If you can show me the evidence for triple trouble being a first encounter, I'll take a look o.o

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Here

13. I don't get it. Nothing in there implies that's knuckles's first time meeting Sonic. :/

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

"At that moment, while the two were running around and gathering information on the Emeralds, a stranger was suddenly blocking their way."

It could be a mistranslation, but Windii's translations are always very accurate.
    It could be a misunderstanding, like Sonic and Tails were expecting to see only Eggman, and when they see someone in their way, it's a stranger not because they don't know him, but because they didn't expect him.

But to me it's way simpler to think that Knuckles is a stranger because they don't know who he is.

15. Just cause it's easier doesn't mean it right :p

And I can only read "stranger" like "mysterious figure". Imagine like they see someone standing in the shadows and they're like "oh, who is this stranger?" (I read that in a very forced, choppy manner lol) and the "stranger" steps out and is revealed to be Knuckles the echidna, who has once again been tricked by eggman (couldn't we reasonably assume that Eggman pulls a Sonic X here and tells Knuckles that the current state of things was due to Sonic interfering with Eggman's machinery or something? It wouldn't be out of character for anyone).

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's not, I had it checked.

I feel it would. Sonic Advance 2 was out of character to me: he was only 'tricked' in Sonic Adventure by way of Robotnik misinforming him, but he wasn't working outright with Robotnik. I wouldn't see Knuckles willingly hop into one of his machines post-Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but hey, Sonic Advance 2 happened.

It sometimes seems like people are operating under the assumption Knuckles keeps getting tricked in every game. It's happened twice in the mainlines, one of which he actually started looking into before doing anything and only reacted rashly when he saw evidence, and twice in portables, one of which might be the same trickery as a mainline.

17. _Sidle

_Sidle

I'd go with 3K -> TT, solely based on the ending:
    upload_2021-6-30_5-16-36.png
    It makes a lot more sense for Eggman to think of capturing Knuckles here, if he's aware of him being the sole reason Sonic got out of that hole in Hidden Palace and onto the Death Egg in the nick of time. Don't want tougher-than-leather over here causing trouble at the eleventh hour again, so let's make absolutely sure he doesn't.
    upload_2021-6-30_5-21-44.png

This line in the Triple Trouble translation caught my eye:
    "Knuckle stood in their way with no sense or reason as to why."
    The pressing issues when Knux and Eggman first met were the emerald's disappearance and the possible dragon egg crashing down on his home, so if they were putting the DeathEgg relaunch on hold and doing TT first, he HAS urgent reason/sense to oppose Sonic for the emeralds, not none whatsoever as described.

18. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Strictly speaking, I don't think the promotional materials is an insurmountable obstacle. Since Rush came out first, and the events of 06 aren't necessarily known to the marketing department before release (especially with a game that had a messy development), it makes sense to build your blurbs based on what you have. They're out-of-universe material, maybe just copypasted from Rush's documents in the case of the original Japanese script leak. Definitely not a smoking gun for timeline analysis.

19. I'm lost. What part of my message is this referring to?
    Only in Advance 2 has Knuckles ever apparently joined robotnik for any reason. In Sonic 3, and Sonic Adventure, he was just carrying out his duties as guardian, and in triple trouble he (supposedly) isn't even sure why he feels the need to stop sonic from collecting the emeralds (not even his own, mind you) aside from possibly just a hunch that something else is going on behind the scenes.
    You're also forgetting pocket adventure, where Knuckles threw fists with Sonic before yeeting him out of the palace. That's not even counting aaallll the other Sonic media where knuckles has been too gullible for his own good. It's just part of his character. Living alone for all of his life has made him prone to believing the first things he hears. :p
    Plus, we get that cute handshake scene, almost as though Sonic is forgiving Knuckles for getting duped a second time.

20. Pengi

Pengi

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Triple_Trouble/Manuals

Regarding Sonic 2006's "blue hedgehog", this is something that's come up a few times over the years. The Japanese word for blue, aoi, can also mean inexperienced/naive. Blaze calls Silver aoi a few times during the game. So it's a double meaning of either blue hedgehog (Sonic) or naive hedgehog (Silver). Someone who knows Japanese could probably explain it better, but it seems to check out.