don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    so can Sonic talk about money now

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    35:18 - Why are you so insisted that rings are just a gameplay mechanic when even modern media like sonic prime showed there not just a gameplay mechanic and a real thing in universe that protect the characters just like in game. It can’t be a mandate thing otherwise SEGA would not allow the use of rings in sonic prime so why are you still so insistent they are just a gameplay mechanic?

(...) There is more that could be said but I really do worry that it's pulling the curtain back too far
    [I don't know what this expression means]. I feel like I have overstepped that line recently more than once and I really should be more mindful of that. Suffice to say, trust me on this. That one appearance in Prime is the exception, not the rule.

[I don't get what is the problem in making the rings canon]

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

Something SEGA ain't letting us know in full. At least for now, it seems.

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    "Pulling the curtain back" in this instance means "showing how things work backstage", meaning behind the scenes, the stuff we're not supposed to know, so what his podcast has turned into. The "too far" means he's aware he's probably saying too much.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s likely that there either wasn’t a hard and fast rule about rings when Prime was being made or Wildbrain just put them in anyway. This lore stuff takes time to go through the company for approvals and rejections etc, no matter how insignificant the matter is.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Even though they've already told us Rings are a power supply.

Then again, that would probably mean people would question them on why Robotnik doesn't just use those instead of Flickies for power.

7. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    that was the whole point of chaotix iirc

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
  9. Sonic fans are eating good tonight.

10. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    He clarified it's canonicity in a reply

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    This whole ordeal is silly. I'm just trying to imagine what was even going down internally such that the canon status of a nigh-irrelevant game nobody likes from almost 30 years ago was a significant topic of discussion. Like, why even make the statement when SEGA's not putting out some official timeline or anything.

12. Levi Church

Levi Church

I think SEGA will release an official timeline at some point. It seems like that is one of the main goals for the lore group to figure out internally.

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

It might be silly, but like I said in a previous post they have referenced the game on social media enough that I could see if someone asked if it was canon or not.

Couple that Tails Adventure is now canon, and Labyrinth is the companion game to that then it makes sense that conversation happened.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Tails' Skypatrol. Tails' Adventures was a prequel.

15. Linkabel

Linkabel

Ah that's right, Sky Patrol.

16. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    What does Sonic Labyrinth being canon even really imply? Just that the slow shoes were a thing? OK Ian. And what's there in Tails Skypatrol? The sinister four we haven't seen since Tails Skypatrol?

17. Levi Church

Levi Church

You know the Skypatrol characters just returned in a new comicbook last year right?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

So to recap in time for Origins Plus...

CANONICAL GAME GEAR GAMES:
    - Sonic 1
    - Sonic Triple Trouble
    - Sonic Labyrinth
    - Tails Skypatrol (???)

ASSUMED NON-CANONICAL GAME GEAR GAMES:
    - Sonic Spinball (overwritten by the 16-Bit version)
    - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (DIC Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog universe)

LIMBO (unless I've missed something, in which case please say so):
    - Sonic 2
    - Sonic Chaos
    - Sonic Blast
    - Sonic Drift
    - Sonic Drift 2
    - Tails Adventure

We gotta figure out what a hypothetical Story Mode for the Game Gear games would be!

19. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Everything and anything returns in the comics these days. "Deep cuts" and desperate throwbacks/references are incredibly popular to do these days, no matter how overbearing it gets. Sonic Frontiers made me groan even more than the mid-2000s games did with that crap.

I don't know why it matters if some super-obscure, super-irrelevant game being canon is supposed to be such a big deal. It I were Ian I'd be sick and tired of all the nagging about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The people organizing the timeline got really invested into the world they were creating with post-SGW Archie, which attempted to merge everything Sonic ever was into one world that could explore it all.
    Even before this, Archie was regularly implementing ideas from older games like Tails Adventure both as a nice "We know this exists" and to actually expand on characters and concepts that hadn't been expanded on in years.

The ultimate goal of all of this would NORMALLY be "To bring them back and create a unified world", but Sonic Team doesn't like to revisit ideas in that way basically ever, especially not since Shadow. Frontiers only kind of starts doing this but so far it's all talk. We've yet to see any real progress beyond the (ironically probably non-canon) canon correction tool they call Tailstube, because they're still figuring out what they want the new world to be like.
    Does it matter if Sonic Labyrinth is canon? Probably not. But I guess it is, even though it doesn't matter, or rather, it only matters as far as Sonic 1 "matters". (meaning, It's something that happened.)
    Does it matter that Tails Sky Patrol is canon? Only if you make it matter. Which they haven't really, since aside from the reintroduction in "classic" IDW story, none of the characters have come back and it never seems to matter to Tails.
    And I think that's where the distinction should probably be. "What happens in the story, is it different from Eggman just trying to take over a place and Sonic stopping him, are new characters presented?"
    In this way, games like Sonic 3d Blast and Sonic 4 Episode 1 don't "matter", because it's just like Sonic 1, but in a different place, but Tails Adventure/Sky Patrol, Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic 4 Episode 2 do "matter" because they introduce new characters and star ones other than Sonic, and bring back characters like Metal Sonic.
    On that note, I think something like Spinball COULD matter, if they wanted it to - let's say they make all the "Freedom Fighters" canon due to their appearances, and reframe the whole thing as rescuing them or whatever. Otherwise, it's just Sonic going to fight and defeat Eggman again.

It all boils down to having significant events, characters, or objects that will come back. And IDW is the only thing reusing stuff like that to even a fraction of its full extent (but even then they're toning it down as they realize that it's hurt them with things like us only ever seeing furry citizens on supposedly continental locations)

Anyways, that's all for my unfiltered ramble.