don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    But seriously, which Mobius is this one? Pre-Genesis Archie, SatAM, Underground or, perhaps, the true Sonic canon, Sonic the Comic?

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It's the brand new canon. There was this planet called Mobius millions of years ago, land of anthropomorphic animals and ruled by echidnas and hedgehogs, and birthplace of the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald, and due to misuse of the Chaos Control the lands of Mobius were transported and merged into planet Earth.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So wait now the canon legit includes a planet mobius?

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Legitimately, I wouldn't jump the gun and say so. It is just a random crossover for the moment.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

April fools :ruby:

But the images are legit

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So Sonic the Comic?

7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    My computer doesn't display half of the images posted in this forum, so I have no idea what pictures you're talking about. And I have no idea on how to solve it either. :flunked:

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Which Pictures, I'll put them in my DeviantArt Sta.sh and link them in?

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm not worried about the particular pictures, only about the general issue. But I meant these ones:

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    the images being reffered to are in the spoiler on the last post of the last page, you're not missing anything.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

13:54 - 20:14
    (it's a long answer, I suggest you listen to all of it)

- You know one thing that's kinda been bugging me? Is Sonic 4 considered a Modern game? Since elements from it are present in "Chao Races and Badnik Bases," that means that Sonic 4 happens in the modern continuity. But if Sonic 4 happens in the modern continuity, how come it references events from the classic continuity? Does it also exist in the classic continuity, at least in the pre-Generations continuity? Also, is "Classic Sonic" split up into a split timeline like "no generations" and "generations?" Where does Sonic 4 fit, exactly?

- (...) My understanding is Sonic 4 is part of modern timeline, and Classic Sonic is its own divergent timeline. And it makes the most sense that the split happens at Generations, when the timeline is first mucked with, if not at Forces / Mania when it gets messed with further. But there's a Classic Sonic timeline, and there's a Modern Sonic timeline, and where that split happens and where everything fits is not a publicly known thing yet. (...)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Is that acknowledging that there is an idea of cohesion somewhere in all this?

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Well, he himself is not sure of when the timeline split happens, though he thinks Generations is the best answer. Generations and Forces are the two games which put both Sonics at the same spacetime. It makes sense if the split happened due to one of these games, but it doesn't look like it's settled.

14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Not sure why "Sonic 4 referencing events from the classic continuity" would be cause for confusion. 1, CD, 2, and 3K at the very least would obviously have happened in both continuities, with the Time Eater going back in time and creating a split after 3K.

In the original timeline, where the Time Eater had not caused a split, it's easy enough to imagine Pocket Adventure and Sonic 4 happening between 3K and SA1. In the new timeline, created by the Time Eater altering the past, Mania happened, which will likely lead to different conflicts from Pocket Adventure, Sonic 4, and SA1.

If the out-of-universe intent behind splitting the timeline is to have a "safe" way to make new games using only the "classic" versions of the characters, then it's unlikely that in-universe that timeline would ever move as far forward in time as to have Sonic 'grow into' his post-SA1 design change, assuming that's how they're treating the design differences (as Generations implies).

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I think my main question right now is whether the other games from the classic era took place before or after the timeline split. Because it's pretty clear that Sonic 1, CD, 2, and 3K took place in both, but the rest is confusing. For example, Sonic R is canon, but canon where? Is it unique to the classic era? Exclusive to the modern era (not likely)? Does it belong to both timelines?

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    In this interview Iizuka says the following:
    Iizuka: Mighty is a part of the Classic world and the Classic group of characters, and some of the Chaotix did get interpreted for the Modern vision of the games. However, Mighty still exists in the Classic world, so maybe we'll see him in the future in some Classic iteration.

Sonic I think that probably means the classic games post-Sonic & Knuckles only exist in the Classic timeline.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Yeah but that was before this new canon they are creating via Tails Tube or something. In 2017 the two-worlds were more alive than ever.
    They can perfectly say now that all the characters from the classic dimension do exist in the modern dimension, they just didn't appear.

And Mighty also appeared in SegaSonic, which is now canon and was released before 3K, but we don't know if it's exclusive to classic dimension or both.

18. Pengi

Pengi

According to the "introduction manual", Sonic Mania is the next story after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Mighty and Ray's profiles in the Mania Plus art book reference the events of the SegaSonic arcade game having happened, which would have to be some time before Sonic 2 (which leads into S3&K and is followed by Mania).

If Mighty exists in the Classic Sonic dimension, but does not exist in the Modern Sonic dimension, then we're looking at alternate universes with any number of differences, rather than alternate timelines that were literally identical until one change.

So it's like how the Ghostbusters movies, cartoon and comics are all separate entities, even though the original Ghostbusters movie story "happened" in all of them. Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are completely separate universes, but Modern Sonic also had adventures that were near-identical to the events of Sonic 1, CD, 2 and 3&K.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Personally I like the idea of SegaSonic taking place before Sonic 1, but I think it's really flexible in terms of timeline placement since Sonic's known to go off adventuring on his own anyway.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Still absolutely hate this timeline split and will actively argue against it every opportunity presented. Fite me SEGA.