don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well according to the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 manual, it took several days between the crash and when Sonic gets to Angel Island. Obviously, again, ambiguous on the exact amount of time between such things.

Considering the Death Egg blows up as it's going up again, crashes down, finally gets back into space and then a good chunk of the hull detonates, it was probably a rush job on the Death Egg repairs.

And the specifics are "The Death Egg finally crashed" and we get nothing on events between. , leaving it ambiguous. If you want to see it as Sonic the Hedgehog 3 taking place very little time after Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it's ambiguous enough for you to go with that. But it's also ambiguous enough for me to put events between the two games, because we have nothing specific about it.

You're free to find anything that says nothing happened between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    You're ignoring the direct implication made by the game. The good ending of Sonic 2 leaves Sonic with the seven chaos emeralds. Sonic 3, the very next game, starts with him still in possession of the emeralds, with the plot being centered around the aftermath of Sonic 2's ending.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That means literally nothing. The repairs being a rush job doesn't mean he did other things in between.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So what, he couldn't have lost them in the unknown amount of time between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, then reclaimed them? It' not like the Chaos Emeralds have ever disappeared between games and had to be recollected, like the entire plot of Sonic Triple Trouble also has occur. And yes, I'm aware there's only six emeralds in that game, before you start on that.

Sonic has not sat idly by between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.
    He is not on South Island or West Side Island. He is on an island far from where the Death Egg and Angel Island hit. He has been on the move. So yes, I could easily take from that there's been events between the games. Hell, I could say Triple Trouble actually leads directly into that.

The man's entire schtick is robots? Robots that are probably working 24/7 to repair it while Robotnik's off tending to things.

Quite a few things put Sonic CD between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. Even Archie comics did that, feel free to go after Ian Flynn for daring to put something between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3: he doesn't even have the excuse of the time between the game releases.

Also, what on earth is going on with this website? That's the third time this evening I've tried to post and the thing just died.

5. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    I didn't ever say that Sonic "sat idly" or that he literally didn't do anything. I said that nothing interesting happened, as in, he didn't fight Eggman several times between 2 and 3. Also, I was unaware that Angel Island was canonically right next to West Side Island and South Island, especially considering the fact that South Island is never in the same place. But it doesn't even matter, you're pulling things out of nowhere. Nobody said he was chilling on West Side Island for two weeks and never left his chair. He and Tails very well could have been traveling and doing whatever the heck they feel like doing.

That doesn't mean they fought any bad guys. That doesn't mean he lost the emeralds and then got them back. That doesn't mean that Eggman was just okay with his destroyed space station sitting around in orbit not being repaired for months before it fell through the atmosphere and crashed.

Lol at the reference to Ian Flynn, as if he's some sort of writing god who can't be criticized.

Also, yeah, something's up with the site. I've had random errors on here before, but I've gotten like, six of them already today.

6. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Oh, OK. I'm sorry, I didn't realize this whole thing was a joke. I'll stop wasting my time, then.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Neither does it preclude that they did happen. Again, these things are ambiguous: there's nothing saying it did happen, there's nothing saying they didn't.

It's not like Robotnik would be able to get to it again: he had to use a rocket launched from the Wing Fortress, so space travel isn't easy for him at this point in time. He probably had to wait for it to crash back down. Never said he was okay with it either.

I'm simply pointing out there's plenty of media that has happily added a major event between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 without issue.

8. Fadaway

Fadaway

How to fix the continuity? Time Stones. Sonic CD is the lynchpin.

9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    It doesn't matter what could have happened. You're still ignoring the very clear implication that the events of Sonic 3 follow closely those of Sonic 2.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm not. The Death Egg finally fell out of orbit. Sonic and Tails are on a random island somewhere. Time has passed since Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the only connecting element are the Chaos Emeralds, which aren't mentioned in the manual as remaining in Sonic's possession after the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Once more, ambiguity on what's going on in that regard, and Sonic Unleashed has a similar situation occur. Did Sonic retain the Chaos Emeralds from his last adventure in that regard? (Actually, I think those are the only two games where Sonic has the Chaos Emeralds from the start, he should really try and keep better track of those.) Otherwise, we have absolutely nothing to go off of to tell us how long between the events has passed.

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Placing eight games including Generations between 2 and 3 is ridiculous. You obviously don't understand what I mean by "direct implication" so I'll just leave it at that.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well if you can find anything saying the Death Egg fell within days of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, feel free to show it.

13. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    If you can find anything saying there is an extended period of time containing eight game plots between Sonic 2 and 3, feel free to show it. You still haven't given any actual reason for this to be the case.

14. Pengi

Pengi

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That ending just keeps cropping up. I don't use remakes of any games when doing things like this, they're an added filter of another person's interpretation on top of everything else. It just causes a mess.

16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    You literally tried to use Mania as a prime example to make a point about the classic timeline. You know, the game that was made by the same person.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Mania is not a remake: Mania was made under Christian Whitehead's direction, so everything put in was under one group. If they remade Mania in a few decades, I'd ignore it in favour of the original one as well.

Taxman's Sonic 2 is made by someone a couple of decades after the original team finished it, adding something using an interpretation from their own point of view which very likely does not match the original development team's concept.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

It depends. In this case, it may have had input from Sonic Team, regardless of how unreliable they've become.
    There's a bible, remember? Taxman may have been allowed to check it and apply changes in the remake according to that.
    Of course, this is all speculation. But this entire matter also borders on mere speculation and differing points of view.
    So, at the end of the day, take it as you may prefer it. Simply don't expect us to accept it or comply to it.

I can't force fans to stop trying to fit ALL games into a single continuity, but I'm free to ignore such attempts.
    In my humble opinion, pinning them all together is a huge damn hassle, not worth anyone's time.

Just for curiosity's sake... @BlackHole, why that need of yours to fit all games into one unique continuity?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Ignoring that the remake was officially endorsed by Sega.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm not. I'm not questioning your own interpretations of things, I'm merely explaining why I view it differently. Hence why the title of the Twitter thing is, and quote:

"my interpretation of the Classic Era of the Sonic the Hedgehog Timeline:"

I've said many times that things are ambiguous and can go both ways: the gap between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 has no set amount of time, only that the Death Egg finally fell, implying there was some time between events. That's it, I'm not saying everything definitely happened, just that I feel you can fit more adventures between the two events, including having Triple Trouble acting as a direct prequel to Sonic 3, if you choose to.

Majora's Mask 3D was officially endorsed by Nintendo, I still think it's a horrible remake and prefer to ignore it in favour of the original.