The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If someone could get a video of Splash Hill Zone Act 1 from whomever is leaking them, and show me that the physics are fixed, then I would be most gracious.

Reason being I don't want to spoil any more than that.

2. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    <!--quoteo(post=444842:date=Apr 20 2010, 02:18 AM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Apr 20 2010, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444842">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just saw the new leak. The physics look like they were definitely fixed, Sonic moves about just as fast as he did in the Genesis games. The jumping has more control in the air, and the spin dash is still useless. Even though I can see they did mess around with the physics a tad, this game really doesn't do anything to impress me. It's going to be a somewhat solid game, but I'm honestly not interested in purchasing or playing it.

The 5 episode rumor is interesting, I wonder how that will play out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I didn't like Sonic 1 very much, and I'm probably not going to like Episode 1 either. I can't be bothered with things like nostalgia and I never really look for that when I play games. I just hope that once they finish this project that will hopefully help them become more organized, they will finally be able to make a modern, 3-D Sonic game that doesn't blow ass. If I have to endure a little revisiting old ideas to get to that point then I'm more than content to allow the die-hard Retro fans that have been waiting for this for years to have their little bite of heaven and eat it too.

But if they introduce something interesting in future episodes I might consider playing a demo...

3. glem3

glem3

What is it with everyone going "the physics are fixed!"? The physics haven't changed at all, just we couldn't get a clear look at them in the older leaked vids. This is still the February build guys, Sega hasn't tweaked anything yet. The guy still hasn't answered me, but I'm going to go to sleep and maybe I'll have an answer in the morning.

4. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Yeah, I wasn't about to watch all of it. I mean it was freaking 5 hours worth of footage... But I glanced around a bit. The physics did look nicer and Sonic a nicer speed, in fact, he didn't look insanely fast as many thought him. in fact he looks slow to be honest...

And above all, I did see slope detection, no standing on walls, they weren't Genesis physics but they weren't Rush either. Luckily better than Rush though. Also Sonic can turn into Super Sonic in the mine cart. Gotta' wait until the game comes out now. -3-

5. MDave

MDave

Head Ninja Member
    North Wales
    BladeBattles - Indie PC game.
    <!--quoteo(post=444847:date=Apr 20 2010, 07:36 AM:name=Volpino)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volpino @ Apr 20 2010, 07:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444847">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=444842:date=Apr 20 2010, 02:18 AM:name=OSM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OSM @ Apr 20 2010, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444842">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just saw the new leak. The physics look like they were definitely fixed, Sonic moves about just as fast as he did in the Genesis games. The jumping has more control in the air, and the spin dash is still useless. Even though I can see they did mess around with the physics a tad, this game really doesn't do anything to impress me. It's going to be a somewhat solid game, but I'm honestly not interested in purchasing or playing it.

The 5 episode rumor is interesting, I wonder how that will play out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I didn't like Sonic 1 very much, and I'm probably not going to like Episode 1 either. I can't be bothered with things like nostalgia and I never really look for that when I play games. I just hope that once they finish this project that will hopefully help them become more organized, they will finally be able to make a modern, 3-D Sonic game that doesn't blow ass. If I have to endure a little revisiting old ideas to get to that point then I'm more than content to allow the die-hard Retro fans that have been waiting for this for years to have their little bite of heaven and eat it too.

But if they introduce something interesting in future episodes I might consider playing a demo...
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The developers are Dimps, and Sonic Team have barely any involvement with Sonic 4.

So the die-hard Retro fans that have been waiting for this for years isn't going to be taking Sonic Team's precious time away from making a modern, 3-D Sonic game that doesn't blow ass.

6. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Just saw the new leak as well, just a bit of it, to see if the physics really were improved.

Jumping's tighter. I like that!

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    <!--quoteo(post=444783:date=Apr 20 2010, 04:16 AM:name=Jack Wallace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jack Wallace @ Apr 20 2010, 04:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444783">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello Everybody! Glad to be here with you!

Just a little update about the game length, a little bird told me that the last issue of the Spanish magazine "Nintendo Acción" (you know, the mag that spoiled Mario & Sonic 2 to the world) has a preview of Sonic 4, and they swear that the game will have 5 episodes. 25 stages anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not entirely a reputable source though, is it? "Peth eth eth eth eht, cincos episodos"

I am disinclined to lend much credence to the gaming magazines they get in Guatemala.

8. dsrb

dsrb

Wow, that'll go nicely alongside your comment about Africans in the Pope thread.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    If someone could PM me directions to this new footage that'd be awesome. I'd like to compare it to the leaks I already have, and possibly archive it for later comparison with the finished build.

EDIT: Disregard, I missed one of glem's earlier posts.

EDIT 2: Now you see, I've been saying the game looked worse than it actually was because the first leak was played by a monkey, right? =3

10. Neoblast

Neoblast

Well the player sure does not know how to play, but the physics seems less floaty and I like that.
    Now it looks like advance's 1 physics rather than rush's.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=444901:date=Apr 20 2010, 07:05 AM:name=Neoblast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoblast @ Apr 20 2010, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444901">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the player sure does not know how to play, but the physics seems less floaty and I like that.
    Now it looks like advance's 1 physics rather than rush's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't say for sure, but isn't this actually the same build? It doesn't look less floaty to me at all. Actually, it didn't look floaty to me in the first place, but on that point I think they look more or less the same.

EDIT: Ah, but this player still fails at tilt control. I am disappoint. Unless it's just the 360's buttons being a pain in the arse, in which case I am slightly less disappoint because I'll be getting the PS3 version...

EDIT 2: I'm trying not to watch much more of it—I really just wanted to archive this stuff—but it's kind of hard, really, with the higher-quality and all. And with a player that doesn't spam the air dash at all the wrong moments... still, I did want to see the mine cart stage, and while this player seems less haphanded with his tilt, they still seem really imprecise. Not to mention he lacks any sense of timing. If you miss that simple jump three times in a row, then you suck, no questions asked...

EDIT 3: Oh, but the tilt controls for the mine cart are a bit weird after all. It looks like your airborne control (at the very least) is affected not by the current tilt of the screen, but the current movement of the screen. As in, you'll only gain forward/backward momentum if the screen is turning in the direction you wish to go, and otherwise will not move forward or backward even if the cart's orientation happens to be less-than-horizontal. How odd. I had that mechanic figured wrong, I guess.

Alright, I'm done. Taking my hand out of the cookie jar, no more leakage for me. Carry on.

12. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Is it just me or is the final boss harder now? o_0

Loving the looks of this game! ^_^

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

<!--quoteo(post=444905:date=Apr 20 2010, 07:25 AM:name=VB.NET)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VB.NET @ Apr 20 2010, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444905">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it just me or is the final boss harder now? o_0

Loving the looks of this game! ^_^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't watched much of it, but it looks to me like this player just doesn't have the boss patterns down in general yet.

EDIT: Y'know what, fuck it, if I keep trying to archive this stuff I'm going to wind up watching all of it. So to hell with it. I'm sure this footage will still be around after the game's release in some form or other if there's anything of note, I'll just have to track it down then.

Besides, it's a bit of a pain recording streamed footage and the quality's almost as bad the first leak after going through my cheap-ass converter/recorder thingamafucker...

14. Sparks

Sparks

Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
    I love how the player jumps while on the upwards cog, he could have plowed through a difficult section in SECONDS.

Guess he needed to show us how much of a butt it'd be. :v:

15. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

<!--quoteo(post=444909:date=Apr 20 2010, 07:34 AM:name=Sparks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparks @ Apr 20 2010, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444909">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love how the player jumps while on the upwards cog, he could have plowed through a difficult section in SECONDS.

Guess he needed to show us how much of a butt it'd be. :v:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm glad he didn't, that section's actually a pretty respectable challenge when you don't already have it memorized. You either blast upward like a retard and plow into Bubbles or take it slow and contend with Slicers and Shellcrackers on the way up.

EDIT: Wait, he was Super Sonic when he reached that point? I guess he really was just showing it off. Too bad about the banana peel on the floor, though. >_>

He doesn't play like a monkey, like the other guy did, but he... doesn't exactly have a whole lot of skill, if that makes any sense. Which is to say, he's methodical, he's collected, he doesn't spam the air dash unnecessarily (which demolished all semblance of flow in previous leaks), but he's not particularly skilled. Basically, your average Joe with a controller in his hand, which is a much better representation of the gameplay than a trigger-happy guy who has shit memorized but has no real gaming talent.

They're both pretty bad at the mine cart stage, though.

Cool to see Super Sonic in motion, without the bad camerawork, too. But now I feel even guiltier, even though I didn't spoil anything. Wonderful.

Oh, and apparently you can re-play the Special Stages whenever you want and farm lives from them... kind of like Sonic 3D Blast: after you got all the Emeralds, you could still enter the Special Stage, but the Emerald would be replaced by a 1-up token.

EDIT: He Spin Dashes at the start of the Mad Gear Act 2 video (the one that's not a live streaming vid) and he rolls down an incline, but doesn't seem to pick up any speed... odd.

EDIT 2: STOP... TALKING... ABOUT... LEAK... *slaps self* ...Ugh... I have no restraint...

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is there really any point in not being able to post the link to that video everybody's discussing?

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

<!--quoteo(post=444927:date=Apr 20 2010, 09:27 AM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Apr 20 2010, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444927">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there really any point in not being able to post the link to that video everybody's discussing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because people should have to work for their spoilers and posting it on the forum itself is too obvious. :v:

EDIT: As a side note, am I the only one who really, really likes the menu theme? Why wasn't that one leaked along with the others?

(LOL the guy streaming the video took a break in the midst of getting owned by the final boss to leak a little Sonic Adventure, too... LAAAAAAAWWWWWWL...)

EDIT 2: In the midst of watching one of the videos I did download, I noticed that... apparently, in this build, becoming Super Sonic doesn't disable invincibility sparkles from appearing when you pick up invincibility while transformed. Well, that reminds me of a different glitch from the old days... if you know what I mean?

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Watching the final boss, I just gotta say that I love the animations.

19. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

<!--quoteo(post=444954:date=Apr 20 2010, 10:52 AM:name=Moonshadow Caz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moonshadow Caz @ Apr 20 2010, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=444954">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watching the final boss, I just gotta say that I love the animations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Likewise. It also looks a lot harder than people originally gave it credit for (although it was partly just the player being kind of crap at the bosses in general), although Eggman hasn't actually solved the SONIC CAN JUST RUN TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM TO AVOID ALL ATTACKS dilemma yet. Still, that sucker's gonna be a pain to perfect for the Untouchable achievement.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Misfit
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Hey guys, could somebody pm me the link up to this video leak please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.