don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Or here's an even better idea. Remove the number 4 that clearly doesn't belong there. It would involve less work for Sega, the people who like the look of it still get to play it, and those of us with actual standards will still have hope of a REAL sequel by someone who knows what they're doing. That way everybody wins!

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Few physics changes? That's where the games biggest fault lie. Something like this is utterly unacceptable really.
    [​IMG]

It makes sense that changing some physics would call for a change in level design. If Sonic didn't lose all of his momentum in mid-air, he'd go flying in Bubbles all the time. So they'd have to be moved, and then the place wher eyou're supposed to land would have to be changed... it's a shame because he shouldn't stop in the first place. Oh well.

Many thanks to you Ruby, and your colleagues, for trying so hard and keeping in touch with us. You're somewhat very awesome for that. Now we'll just have to wait for the E1 release then to see what's changed in E2.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    First off if Dimps wanted to use old code to make the game off of, why didn't they just use the Sonic Advance 1 physics? I played that game the other day, and while the physics aren't totally right, it's not nearly as offensive as the Sonic Rush engine. Sonic can't duck on slopes as easily, Sonic doesn't uncurl when he goes off an edge, that whole bounce off of enemies and monitors and return to the hight you started at, and the spin dash, while not perfect, at least worked.

My main point of this post is that seriously how would changing things like unrolling off a slope, not having to hold a direction else face losing momentum, and increasing the power of the spin dash break the current level design?

4. No, thats not what I'm getting at.

We don't WANT Speed Boosters AT ALL, as they don't demonstrate momentum. Iizuka thinks they are "important". Not good.

But on the other hand, I saw this at the Sega Forum...
    So the webpage may be updated soon?! YES, you have no idea how long thats bugged me, insignificant or not. :)

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    To clarify, is this basically a sugar-coated "no" or do you really not see the value in it? Because I'd certainly be interested in hearing any changes to the soundtrack, be it minor or major. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either.

Please stop speaking for everyone. You're not this community's representative; I did not hire you and neither did anyone else.

6. dsrb

dsrb

wut

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Thanks for posting Ruby. Good to know this game is still a piece of shit. :)

8. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

And it gets worse when our only contact to SEGA comes posting. Whatever the actual quality of S4, could you guys atleast try to reply with outblurting URP GAEM SUCKS TRASH IT to a PR person that's not so powerful in that regard? Aren't we more interested in the smaller things, like when the blog/website is getting updated and such?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You most certainly are not. Any changes to the soundtrack are interesting.

10. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Welp. Ruby just confirmed Sonic the Spiderhog 4, now with added sticking to sides of loops and walls.
    I'm guessing Sonic will still jump on the moon... and rolling will remain useless... and I'll have to spam homing on Bubbles and not manually bounce... and the spin-dash will still remain almost useless.
    Trust towards SEGA extreme minus, I hate Iizuka more than I already did - and I doubt I'll be buying this "sequel" unless it's around £5.00 maximum.

Thanks SEGA & Sonic Team. It's glad to know you still care about us. ¬¬

11. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    No. Honestly, who gives a shit about those updates anymore?
    Then what the fuck was the point of delaying the game if they weren't going to do anything? I already said I wasn't going to buy or play this game, but I am seriously sick and tired of the lies. Tell SEGA this is NOT how you treat your fan base, this whole experience has been a complete and utter disaster with the most annoying controversy of drama ever.

Also, please, tell SEGA to fire Iizuka. Please.

EDIT: I also want to stress I absolutely have no grief or animosity toward you Ruby. You're an alright guy, you're just doing your job.

12. glem3

glem3

I'm sorry but, despite this most likely meaning there will be NO physics changes, isn't the main physics problem just the wall sticking? And that would be a relatively "minor" change. The physics really didn't need much work after that, the rest of the issues (stopping when letting go of the D pad and uncurling) can be considered unrelated.

Obviously it sucks that the physics aren't changing, but if they do the wall sticking wouldn't be too big of a thing to fix.

Oh, so suddenly, not changing the physics is not doing anything? New LLZ act 2, new level design, new and updated music, and new running animation isn't anything? Sorry, I almost forgot that the only thing that matters is what you care about. And don't be so rude to ruby, he's just delivering the news, he has very little say in anything.

13. Guys, if they haven't fixed the physics for Episode 1 they are surely not fixing it for Episode 2... They are not gonna make episodes of the same game play differently! Wake up! The best we can expect of Episode 2 is more original content and less rehash, but with this gameplay I don't think I even care. SEGA apparently doesn't care either, as they're simply letting DIMPS do whatever they want with their franchise.

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    This is pretty hilarious, we have a PR guy from a video game company telling people to not get excited about their game.

This reminds me of the time this guy working at a hardware store talked me out of buying a multimeter.

Loosing all momentum upon releasing the D-pad in the air, rolling having the same behavior regardless of angle, airborne momentum being translated into ground momentum in strange ways, not bouncing off enemies correctly, those kinds of things.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Ruby, I do not envy your job at all :v:

Question about the console versions of Sonic 4 (specifically the wii and PS3 versions) - will they be 100% playable without motion controls? I know the infamous mine cart stages are gone, but can you play the special stages without using tilt? As in, can I completely play the game, interacting with absolutely everything, without ever having to use tilt?

This sounds like an odd request, but there is significant meaning behind it - I have a Sega Saturn USB controller that I love to use with my PS3, and playing Sonic 4 with that baby is going to get my nostalgia juices flowing so hard. It is without a doubt the way I'll be playing Sonic 4 on my first go-through, so I need to know if there will be an option to turn off tilt completely. By the same stroke, is there any way you could map the non-tilt segments to the d-pad rather than the shoulder buttons? The sega saturn pad maps the shoulder buttons oddly (I.e. L is L1, and R is L2, Z is R1 and C is R2).

16. dsrb

dsrb

I've hardly seen any posts like that. Even those with legitimate complains generally acknowledge and appreciate RubyEclipse's efforts and limitations as a PR community rep.

Considering that a lot of users here have probably seen the entire game and thus most forthcoming ‘new’ things, and that the updates trickle out at a glacial pace and are usually minute when they finally emerge, I doubt it. Information that's as close to ‘insider knowledge’ as most users here will get is a lot more interesting than that.

17. I don't think so. Uncurling is a big issue, that prevents you from blasting through the stages in ball form (after all, Sonic should have PINBALL physics), and there are several acceleration issues you are overlooking. How Sonic behaves on slopes, how his momentum is magically lost all the time, it's all wrong.

Well, I'm glad we finally got some honesty.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    As always, thanks for the info, Ruby. I know you must get a lot of unneccesary flack, but I guess that's what happens.
    Count me as someone wanting to hear the differences in the music, as well. :)

I'm sure you could already push it out, SEGA hasn't had my remix removed at all.

19. I want to do that SO BAD.

But yes I believe the motion controls can be disabled.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    @RubyEclipse: If you could consider a drop in dashpads, the uncurling fix and the removal of wall-sticking as "minor fixes" then I'll reconsider my current thoughts on the game. Thank you for being completely honest and helping us through and through, though Ruby. :)

Also it seems we wouldn't have to get the full game to see the fixes made to Sonic 4, because there would be a free demo to play of it in the Xbox Marketplace / whereever.. correct? Or would it just be the ho-hum E3 build?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.