don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Well you do have to aim for the goomba, unless mario has a homing attack in which case you just mash the jump button twice and it takes him to the goomba for you.

It might not be alot of skill, but its a basic platformer skill that everyone should master. Except for in sonic games for some odd reason =/

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Destructoid isn't a bad site, but they have no fucking clue on what is wrong with Sonic. They think we bitch because of false reasons. Who on the forum truly gives 2 shits about the green eyes? They are the oblivious Sonic fans, watching not further than enjoying their Green Hill Zone remix. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Also, Jim Sterling enjoys the drama.

Dimps isn't a horrible developer, but that video showed exactly everything that might be wrong with the gameplay in Sonic 4. It's honest criticism, and possibly the best summary possible of the complaints that have shown up. If Dimps listens to that single video, a really awesome new development team is created.

3. dsrb

dsrb

I've never seen either of these (though I'm not even sure what you mean by the former) . . . examples?

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Jump into the air a press the jump button again. Sonic gets a shield for about a split second. You can do this in Sonic Advance too but it doesn't bounce projectiles off though.

5. dsrb

dsrb

I'm fully aware of the move itself, but not any ability to deflect projectiles, or "cause bounces into other enemies" (whatever that is).

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You can augment Sonic's bounce with the shield from a normal enemy bounce. This works nicely on those spikey enemies in Launch Base and gives a nice little added bounce (not radically different) when ricocheting off an enemy.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You can't actually deflect projectiles with Sonic's Insta-Shield; you can only protect yourself from them. I don't know why, because Tails' tails and Knuckles' knuckles both deflect projectiles.

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I'll be honest with you guys, but I do feel that Sonic 2 Dimps Edition is kind of exaggerating the whole Speed Boosters thing. I mean, the Homing Attack, fine, but I'm used to Sonic having it by now, so I'm okay with it, but practically 10 boosters per act...I dunno. Now, I could be wrong, I haven't played the hack (and I doubt I will, no offense), and I haven't played Sonic 4, so I dunno for sure, but it does feel...extreme. Unless that was the intention. I dunno (haven't looked in the hack topic since I left my comment there). Has Dimps seen it yet? I am kind of curious to hear what they have to say about that hack.

The Homing Attack isn't that much of a bad idea to me, though they probably could have used something else. I guess the thing is that Sonic usually obtains a new move after each Sonic game. Sonic 1 = Spin Jump. Sonic 2 = Spin Dash. Sonic 3 & Knuckles = Elemental Shield (Double Jump, Jump Dash, Bounce Attack). Sonic CD = Peelout. I...don't see too many new abilities Sonic could have 'sides the Homing Attack.

Though yes, naming it Sonic 4 is a bit on the bad idea side, but I still think it'll look fun. I'll play it regardless.

9. You see I always thought that the Homing attack was a device used in the 3D games to make attacking a bit easier, I cannot see its place in a 2D sonic at all unless it facilitates exploration in some way.

10. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    ...which it does.

You're all caught in a loop, you see. This particular topic cannot, and probably will not, go anywhere.

11. That game isn't even out yet, and all you saw was an unfinished beta, and you people are bitching? Wow.

12. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    >Implying this is new

Personally I try not to voice too many opinions myself, I'd rather play the game then share whatever complaints I may have. I do enjoy reading the back and forth though.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water

If you want to add exploration, why not just add a wall jump, or something like the extra A+d pad moves from Retro Remix? Better yet, they could at least relegate the Homing attack to the Yellow Shield from 3D Blast, so that it is at least a powerup.

14. serpx

serpx

After how this decade of Sonic games have been, you're surprised about this? I'm sure fans have every right at the moment to cry over something they think will detract from the experience of Sonic 4.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Pessimism might make the game better. :specialed:

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
  17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Wow, I totally did not know this. More so because I totally did not play Unleashed in regular or gimped forms. But while watching that level, it might as well have been the Tornado 2 or worse...Tornado X. Seeing the Tornado transform needlessly make me want to revoke Tails' engineering degree.

18. Assuming I didn't count wrong, Chemical Plant Act 1 has 9 boosters, and Act 2 has 12, not counting horizontal springs.

I'm pretty sure there are zones with more than that in other games.

(In the normal game, not the hack)

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Some more of you guys have had the chance to play it legitimately now at SoS. What did you make of it?

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I prefer to describe that it saps interactivity, and makes the player's control seem less important because it's like a get out of jail free card if something goes wrong and they miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.