don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I enjoyed listening to this

Man I think I'm the only person who likes Sonic 4's music. I don't mind the instruments being played, but I love almost every melody. I'm constantly conflicted as to which is my favorite song in the game.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I hate Sonic 4's music with a passion aside from Mad Gear. Other than that, Jun Senoue shouldn't have been allowed to touch the game and should've stuck to his guitar playing in other games. Still a good cover though.

As for SEGA taking down stuff, they've got rather lazy as some leaked gameplay footage that is weeks old still exists.

3. Thank you. I'm not sure if they will take it down but I don't care. I really like the Sonic 4 OST, The melodies are a little streamlined but I feel it still pays tribute to the old games.

4. serpx

serpx

I don't hate the music at all, I just feel that the music could strive to be more memorable. I do enjoy the theme song, and the first act of the first level as well. It's all subjective to the listener, I mean, not all of the classic Sonic songs were gold in my opinion.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Well, that's two of us. =P

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the music could be a lot better if they just mixed up the instruments more. Like Tweaker's Sonic CD esq remix. Or hell just actually using Genesis instruments instead of trying to imitate them.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I agree. I hate the majority of Sonic 3's soundtrack, save Hydrocity Zone and Ice Cap Zone. I merely tolerate Angel Island Zone, but I hate the rest. By contrast, I love most of Sonic & Knuckles' soundtrack.

For me, however, I have to listen to music for a while to decide if I like it or not. The classic sonic games I've heard for decades, but these new songs take time. I find myself whistling Splash Hill Zone act 1 sometimes without thinking.

8. [​IMG]

You're talking about this, right?

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I agree with you about Sonic 3. The music was made for a very specific time with it's Jackson-style. Though in addition to the songs you mentioned, I actually really liked Angel Island's theme, especially Act II. Though I actually liked the PC version of Launch Base's music better than the original.

I can't stand the instrumentation for 4. There are some good tunes in there like + - Mad Gear   but I can't stand the boss themes. They sound too circus-y for my taste. Sonic CD's style would have done much better.

And that video made a part of me die. The dead stop on a hill went to show how lazy this game is. Plus there was still some wall walking in there as well. I really do hope this was the E3 build, because these physics are disgusting and lazy. So I will transfer my hope to episode 2 now.

Words cannot express how pathetic that is for Dimps to have let by. To think they were going to ship this crap.

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh I see now.

That's just bad. Fan-game quality. :psyduck:

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That's enough about the screenshot.

Yes, clipping sucks.

No, I don't need to see 3 pages of people stating this.

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

The worst part is we can't even dismiss flaws like this as just part of the leaked beta build because they're showing this crap in public. You would think the game would be farther along than this by the time a public demo could be made that wouldn't have the same glaring flaws as the build in the leaks. Not even I can be optimistic for the game for long, and I'm usually very patient about these things. If the "current" build has all of these huge fixes, why not take events such as Comic-Con as an opportunity to show them? Unless Dimps really has nothing to show.

13. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Well, I for one am of the opinion that they spent their extra dev time dicking around on Steam. =P

Yeah, that video was pretty disappointing to me. It looked like nothing changed, as far as I could tell. Still the same exact stuff we saw in the E3 demo. :/

Y'know, if Dimps doesn't plan on doing anything more with this game, why not just ship it out to the console companies now? Sure hope they're still working on it. A lot of these issues don't even seem like they'd take that long to fix.

14. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Has anyone done a level design check versus what existed in the beta? I'm curious if anything has changed...

I'd really say it's at the point where the Dimps team is working on Episode 2, with a guy or two actually working on refining Episode 1. The engine guy has probably moved on after making the engine and tools too. I'm betting it's too late to overhaul any engine aspects, so don't expect this to ever get any better than it is.

15. dsrb

dsrb

> says "momentum-based gameplay" as Sonic is walking almost vertically up a wall, then for some reason changes to uncurl/falling animation, then walks up it again
    > "we've listened to the fans and what they've said" as Sonic begins a chain of boosters that force rolling, springs, and uncurling off ramps
    > DUST TRAILS
    > 2:18 ridiculous moonwalk
    > "Sonic interacts with the environment" Endless mechanical springs, boosters, and omg innovation zipliens aren't really environmental; I'd consider that to be the use of trees, waterfalls, etc.
    > 4:00 WTF is this fail? Stop 'air dashing' and the diagonal spring will take you up onto the rightmost platform...(took 'em long enough to realise)
    > "music is good/classic" STFU; using an old drum sample and Hoover synths doesn't make it either.
    And I'll assume this isn't one of the "new build" that in which "we've already implemented faster acceleration and better animations."

I mean, I don't like the endless pages of complaining either, and we've already established that this guy is full of hot air, but it's just insulting now.

16. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Balough has a terrific line of bullshit. If I ever were to make a game in the future for a big company, hypothetically, Ken Balough would be my PR guy. That video was amazing.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Heh, I think right now he's avoiding going into recognising the problems and what's being changed because he's been told to. But the fact that the title screen is now animated makes me rather happy.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    He's mentioned that earlier too and I'm quite curious as to what that looks like

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

You know, something just popped into my mind. Not to bring up a music discussion, but any chance this game could receive proper custom soundtrack support? I know every 360 title has custom soundtrack options and a lot of Sega's PS3 games do as well, but I want a proper one, like the one found in Wipeout HD. Wipeout HD lets you set music to tracks like playlists, and they'll loop and fade out correctly.

Adding this option to Sonic 4 would literally solve every single music complaint. People who don't like the instruments could simply put on their own remixes.

20. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I strongly second this notion.

Not only would this give people who hate the Sonic 4 soundtrack a chance to completely replace it with their own choice of music, but in general, custom soundtracks would be a nice addition in customisation. :)

I personally really like the Sonic 4 soundtrack. Still, I'd love to be able to replace the Sonic 4 music with some Sonic 3 music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.