The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=475190:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475190">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can't we? They even said the latest build they've shown at E3 almost didn't feature any changes at all, so we still haven't seen a thing that was fixed due to feedback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because they had only a few weeks before E3. They can't really do much in that time, considering they also had a lot of other projects they needed to prepare for E3.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->...Dimps? The only other project they've shown at E3 was Sonic Colors for DS.

2. Hanyou

Hanyou

<!--quoteo(post=475190:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475190">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475154:date=Jul 4 2010, 04:05 PM:name=Solid SOAP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solid SOAP @ Jul 4 2010, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475154">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game itself to me looks sloppy and lazy in comparison to other retro revivals such as Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins, but it doesn't look bad, it just looks sloppy. I think that when it comes out it will be a fun little game that will be more remeniscent of the classic games than any Sonic game since Sonic 3, but it won't be the "true" Sonic 4 as most fans imagined it (ie; 16-bit graphics, better music, physics truer to the originals, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that can be mostly attributed to th fact that Nintendo has a LOT more resources than SEGA could even dream of. I'm sure you've all seen the "Nintendo DS, it Prints money" GIF.
    That and they have an entire section of their company; Retro Studio's dedicated to the production of nostalgic games. SEGA publishes games and has a few different branches of Sonic Team.
    They have nowhere near the cash Nintendo have. If Donkey Kong Country looked as "sloppy" as Sonic 4, I would be dissappointed because Nintendo are capable of doing better.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A lack of funds can't be an excuse for terrible level design. The fact is, in a lot of these games the teams have got the fundamentals wrong. Also, Sonic Team always seems to have more than enough resources to make a good graphics engine—youd think they could direct some of this funding to better design overall.

Mario Galaxy is a great-looking game with great music and atmosphere, but when it comes down to gameplay, which is most important, no amount of money can account for the level of creativity and quality level design they've managed. Same with NSMBW. As for DKCR, yes, it looks fantastic, because they've kept with the classic design and actually taken the time to analyze what works. We'll see how it pans out in the final game, but Retro and Nintendo have a good track record, where Dimps and Sonic Team don't.

As for dimps, I really hated the Sonic Rush games. I have high expectations for Sonic 4 because I refuse to temper them just to give the team the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. However, they do need to fix the physics; there is simply no excuse for rampant boost pads or monotonous levels that play themselves. How much time have they spent actually taking apart the levels in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 and Knuckles to learn what made those games so great? From the previews, it seems like they've spent very little time doing so, which is why it's reasonable to expect that DKCR will soar where StH4 will flounder.

3. <!--quoteo(post=475200:date=Jul 4 2010, 06:46 PM:name=ICEknight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICEknight @ Jul 4 2010, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475190:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475190">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can't we? They even said the latest build they've shown at E3 almost didn't feature any changes at all, so we still haven't seen a thing that was fixed due to feedback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because they had only a few weeks before E3. They can't really do much in that time, considering they also had a lot of other projects they needed to prepare for E3.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->...Dimps? The only other project they've shown at E3 was Sonic Colors for DS.
    I was refering to SEGA.
    SEGA were presenting the game at E3. They probably had to prepare a Demo build with the first Zone for E3, whilst Dimps were still working on the actual game itself.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lack of funds can't be an excuse for terrible level design. The fact is, in a lot of these games the teams have got the fundamentals wrong. Also, Sonic Team always seems to have more than enough resources to make a good graphics engine—youd think they could direct some of this funding to better design overall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It isn't, but the level design is actually good. The flaws are specifically to do with the physics engine and badnik/booster placement. This things are what are being changed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mario Galaxy is a great-looking game with great music and atmosphere, but when it comes down to gameplay, which is most important, no amount of money can account for the level of creativity and quality level design they've managed. Same with NSMBW. As for DKCR, yes, it looks fantastic, because they've kept with the classic design and actually taken the time to analyze what works. We'll see how it pans out in the final game, but Retro and Nintendo have a good track record, where Dimps and Sonic Team don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats Shigeru Miyamoto for you. He's been with the franchises sinse they were born. Unlike most senior game developers, he has a direct hand in the production fo said games, so its bound to be creative, he's had many years of experience and an awesome imagination. That, and he's probably a good leader and project co-ordinator.

Sonic's management has been shifting with project leaders leaving. Dimps probably were given a seet of parameters in terms of level themes, prior to production which would limit them. Maybe in later levels they would show more creativity. I still think that Music Plant is one of the best Sonic levels I've played. Sonic Team, I think are more creative, as seen with what was shown of Sonic Colours. Its a damn shame that they aren't really that involved with Sonic 4, it could have been pretty interesting to see what they could have come up with.

4. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I missed all the funny cheap photoshops that were being created during the Needlemouse mystery saga, so here's a silly Episode 2 banner I created to indicate how much I want our favourite red guy in Episode 2!

[​IMG]

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=475190:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 4 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475190">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's because they had only a few weeks before E3. They can't really do much in that time, considering they also had a lot of other projects they needed to prepare for E3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This is a definite possibility. It's possible the E3 demo was assembled relatively quickly after the delay the decided on. That said, this is more speculation than grounded fact—for example, if the release date was in July, it's possible they still would have shown the game at E3 whether it was delayed or not to get it some more publicity in the gaming media before it came out.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

O'Doyle rules! Member
    GA
    <!--quoteo(post=475295:date=Jul 4 2010, 06:42 PM:name=VB.NET)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VB.NET @ Jul 4 2010, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475295">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I missed all the funny cheap photoshops that were being created during the Needlemouse mystery saga, so here's a silly Episode 2 banner I created to indicate how much I want our favourite red guy in Episode 2!

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's pretty bitchin'. You should do Jet the Hawk or some bullshit for Episode III.

EDIT: ::Brings back an old shoop'd favorite::

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, they keep tooting big changes to the game and explicitly said we wouldn't be seeing those changes in the E3 version. Not to mention that the E3 build probably wasn't a reflection of the current build at the time. If I understand correctly, devs normally whip up astable build quite some time advance for public demos. Now if S4 is at TGS and still hasn't changed by then, there's cause for concern.

That just make me think. TGS is September 16-19th this year. That's more than a year since the title was first 'announced' (sort of). Sonic games always tend to be announced much closer to their release dates these days.

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    <!--quoteo(post=475071:date=Jul 4 2010, 04:25 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 4 2010, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475071">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475035:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475035">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am feeling like SEGA is doing a good job so far.

Just my two cents :) .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then your not a true sonic fan. :specialed:

True sonic fans are supposed to bawwww at everything!

I must not be :v:

Because I actually /like/ the Sonic games.

9. <!--quoteo(post=475323:date=Jul 4 2010, 08:09 PM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Jul 4 2010, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475323">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475071:date=Jul 4 2010, 04:25 AM:name=Lanzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jul 4 2010, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475071">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475035:date=Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Jul 3 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475035">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am feeling like SEGA is doing a good job so far.

Just my two cents :) .<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then your not a true sonic fan. :specialed:

True sonic fans are supposed to bawwww at everything!

I must not be :v:

Because I actually /like/ the Sonic games.

I thought I was the only one.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Video of ScrewAttack unveiling Sonic 4 being playable at SGC:
    <!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A86KjhpN9zo&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A86KjhpN9zo&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Excuse my language, but...

Holy SHIT, those are an excitable bunch!

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They were told a furry orgy would follow.

13. Oh my.
    I didn't think the response to Sonic 4 would be that loud.

14. Hanyou

Hanyou

That is more insane than the tearful reaction to the first footage of Twilight Princess.

15. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    <!--quoteo(post=475323:date=Jul 5 2010, 02:09 AM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Jul 5 2010, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475323">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must not be :v:

Because I actually /like/ the Sonic games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    U MAD

<!--quoteo(post=475448:date=Jul 5 2010, 02:52 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 5 2010, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475448">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh my.
    I didn't think the response to Sonic 4 would be that loud.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Because retards will cheer crap, and crap is easier to make.

16. <!--quoteo(post=475456:date=Jul 5 2010, 03:31 PM:name=Frozen Nitrogen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Jul 5 2010, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475456">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=475323:date=Jul 5 2010, 02:09 AM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Jul 5 2010, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475323">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I must not be :v:

Because I actually /like/ the Sonic games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    U MAD

<!--quoteo(post=475448:date=Jul 5 2010, 02:52 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 5 2010, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475448">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh my.
    I didn't think the response to Sonic 4 would be that loud.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Because retards will cheer crap, and crap is easier to make.

Except that it isn't crap. You think its crap because you have a distinct idea of what you want Sonic 4 to be.
    These people don't, because frankly, until recently, they didn't care.
    All 2D/retro throwbacks made by anyone, is a cash-in on nostalgia.

And by the way, your statement sounds like its making the assumption that everybody who likes this game and are cheering for it, are retarded.

17. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    People are screaming because they are happy its easier to hold right and win the game! They wont have to use cheats anymore.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Hacking Contest
    It's only the same silly trailer as before.
    And if it was playable at that place, they'd still be using the unfixed demo version.

Whatever, SEGA don't want to do any real fixing at all, they might as well just release it this week anyway.

19. Machenstein

Machenstein

I'm just happy to see a Sonic game met with a cheering crowd. That hasn't happened since, what, Sonic Adventure in Japan?

20. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    <!--quoteo(post=475460:date=Jul 5 2010, 03:45 PM:name=Scartillery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scartillery @ Jul 5 2010, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=475460">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except that it isn't crap. You think its crap because you have a distinct idea of what you want Sonic 4 to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Except that it is crap. You think it isn't crap because you have an idea of what you want Sonic 4 to be, and this fits.

:recursive:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.