don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this looks like a heap of shit? It doesn't look exactly like the old games, but it looks like a fun homage of the older style of Sonic moreso than the new games.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I say again: level gimmick =/= gimmick level.

The vines actually look really fun. The lock-on ziplines I'm not so sure of. Love that the speed of the ziplines changes depending on Sonic's speed, but the momentum factor is shot to hell the moment you find you can lock-on and instantly attain top speed regardless. The vines suffer a similar malady, but at least they require platformer timing.

Ruby mentioned before that it depended on the route. I can actually see making it through the lower routes of Acts 1 and 2 without homing quite easily, actually.

You say that as if this isn't the first Dimps title that's had a prominent homing attack. >_>

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I can't come up with a reply to this to justify the anger I feel right now. SEGA has some real pieces of work working for them, I swear.

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Take yourself back to the end of 1994, you've just finished Sonic 3 and Knuckles and you've had an absolute fucking BLAST! You automatically assumed that Sonic 4 will be on its way in due time, and what do you imagine it being like? Your mind goes wild, just thinking of the ways Sonic 4 will improve upon an already perfect game.

Whatever you imagined, you probably imagined something BETTER, and NOTHING like this fucking shite. You certainly didn't expect a step back in quality in almost every area.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Hmph, well, it's easy to get pissed at that line, but there are probably a lot more people out there who actually did imagine the game more or less looking like it does now. Not all of us are retro-enthusiasts of the Sonic Retro caliber, but really, that sort of line was bound to tick a lot of people off. They really should have been cognizant of that.

6. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Do you really think people imagined this back in 1995? Really? Honestly, in many ways this is the Sonic 4 I imagined. I imagined it would be like this because today Sega are a bunch of clueless, incompetent fucking monkeys.

But is this the Sonic 4 that I and many others have hoped for since Sonic 3 and Knuckles? Not even fucking close!

7. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't imagine Megaman 9 being a step back in visuals from the games after 7 either, but that didn't stop it from being a bad game.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If this game were released in 1995, I can guarantee you people here wouldn't be NEARLY as negative (if negative at all) because they wouldn't be totally fucking jaded by years of shitty Sonic games.

I mean, New Super Mario Bros. was a huge step back from SMB3 but nobody complained because nobody's sick of shitty Mario games.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I didn't like NSMB that much to be honest. Wii version was a little better, but I stopped playing it after a week. We don't like "shitty Sonic games" because they're simply not fun. Mario certainly has his ups and downs as well, he's certainly not immortal, no one is, it's just when it comes to making these games Nintendo actually gives a shit and knows what their core audience expects. They even have a handle of their own property too. SEGA is constantly reinventing the franchise because people aren't happy with it, and that's simply because they've refused to go back to the drawing board and do it all over. So we have to deal with all these small steps and half well received games thinking they're "finally getting it."

SEGA is just fucking up left and right all the time and justifying their actions with PR bullshitting to the press saying "the fans wanted more of this."

No.

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Just watched the E3 walk throughs (I've missed pretty much all of E3 because of the last few days left of college) I have to sat Splash Hill zone looks absolutely breath taking. Every little bit of art of that level has been mixed with stunning techniques of today's generation of gaming but based it on the roots of Sonic 1's Green Hill zone. I was a bit annoyed that Sonic 4 got delayed, but hey as long as they've made some cool changes I don't mind the wait at all.

Good stuff so far, can't wait to see what the other stages are like. :)

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

They used 5 light sources, pre-rendered, with noise filters. That is not stunning techniques.

12. Felik

Felik

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Well that's your opinion, there's been far worse. But yeah, I do see what you mean.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I have yet to see worse than this, I'm sorry.

[​IMG]

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can see them whenever you want...

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Is "well that's your opinion" really necessary? It's obviously his opinion by virtue of the fact that he fucking said it.

Anyway, I was just thinking how Sonic 4 will go down as the Mario Bros 2 of the Classic series. If Mario 2 is a piece of plop between 2 gorgeous slices of Mediterranean basil and tomato bread, then Sonic 4 is a piece of plop on top of a perfectly baked, fresh cherry pie.

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The point is, it looks pretty—pre-rendered noise filter bollocks be damned.

Anyway, what I meant, Jasonchrist, was that there are people in the now whose expectation of Sonic 4 is not nearly as focused or clear as our own is. Not quite as specific. These people haven't spent eons painstakingly compiling information on game development or physics engines, or spent their days trying to recreate lost glories, these people probably spend so much time playing other games that they never had time to notice the finer points of what made the classics so fun, even if they themselves rank them as gods among games and can't stand the modern ones. Some of them might not even be specific enough in their idea of classic Sonic to tell the difference between the 2D sections of Sonic Colors and the gameplay of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

So yeah, there are people who imagined it more or less along these lines.

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

This is exactly what I've been saying this entire fucking time.

19. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    People would've cared even more back in 1995. They'd just played the best Sonic game ever made (thus their expectations would've been sky high), then they play Sonic 4 to find that the game mostly plays its fucking self, there are no elemental shields, no act 1 bosses, no hidden rings, and EVERYTHING is a step back and a rehash of things that they'd already played over the past 4 years. Things that played better anyway. Sure the improved graphics would be appreciated, but the novelty would wear off by the time you finished Splash Hill.

If we're complaining about rehashed shit NOW, it would've been fucking murder back in 95!

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I get the feeling a lot of us would have come to be really divided on the Homing Attack's contribution to things even if the game were released back then. And I'm pretty sure we'd notice the physics, too, if only because controlling Sonic on the Genesis was still fresh in our minds.

...Of course, in '95 they'd've been building off the Sonic 3 engine anyway, so it wouldn't have happened in the first place, but you get the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.