The "Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles" Quest for Music Composer Research

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by T.Q., Nov 18, 2019.

1. SystemsReady

SystemsReady

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing At Any Given Moment Member
    The Twin Cities
    trying to not fall asleep while writing Selenium tests
    Do we actually know that much about the PC port, like when it started? One could guess that maybe work on it started when the Genesis version did (explaining the music), but of course, there's no proof of that...

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Any work on it would post-date the Dreamcast release. The Sonic CD port was in 1996 and that was the one that laid the foundation for S&K Collection to even be feasible on Windows. It was only after that point you saw serious video games released in native Windows instead of DOS

3. S&K Collection was probably made in 1996, given that it came out in February 1997.

4. The Other RaFaél

The Other RaFaél

I'm just a guy and a man and a dude and I'm hungry Oldbie
    Detroit
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    The S&KC version is also in a lower key than the prototype version and its intro sounds like its arranged a little differently.

5. Happened to catch that Hard Times vinyl on Google alerts before it sold out, came in the mail yesterday and it's pretty snazzy. I haven't owned a record player in 5 years so I won't be listening to it, but as a $10 novelty to put on my shelf it was worth it.
    Jetzons-1sm.png
    Jetzons-2sm.png
    Jetzons-3sm.png
    As for how they were able to get away with it, its simple: they did a low production run of 250 copies, they were never going to make more than $2,500 off this. Sega would spend more to have their lawyer send a cease and desist e-mail than they could possibly hope to get in damages. Not to mention Sega would be poking a hornet's nest of legal troubles by making a fuss over it at all, considering the song was never properly licensed for use in the game. This is one of those things where the smartest thing Sega can do is ignore it.

From what I understand about the issue surrounding a re-release of Sonic 3 is that there's nobody physically standing in the way, however the online rumors and whispers around 2011 (when Hard Times was first noticed if I remember correctly) definitely could have gotten Sega's lawyers to look at the situation. We don't know for sure what the details are, but the end result is that we haven't seen Sonic 3 since the Steam release and its been noticeably skipped over for several compilations and re-release opportunities. Again, nobody's giving Sega overt trouble in public, so this is most likely all pre-emptive on their part. If Sony has any stake in it/cared about it they would've strong armed Sega into working out a deal, considering the relationship Sega has with the PlayStation division. Jackson himself is dead and I don't think his estate is going to try to prove Jackson's direct involvement in order to shake Sega for pennies, digging up contracts from 30 years ago aisn't an easy task.

This leaves the actual composers themselves, Jackson's contracted team, who are all regular people with regular lives who likely can't afford to hire entertainment lawyers to go after Sega. Most of them were likely unaware that their music actually made it into the game until fans told them, which would've been after 2011 (or after 2005 really, when the first YouTube video about the subject came out). So the cat's out of the bag, but nobody who would care enough to pursue it can afford to pursue it. This doesn't mean Sega's off the hook forever, if they did market a new release of Sonic 3 that would give the composers ample cause to find lawyers who could get them a piece of the re-release pie. The game being already available through Steam or Xbox One backwards compatibility is likely Sega trying to avoid suspicion, since it would raise questions if the game were suddenly de-listed after all this speculation.

Its like that episode of The Simpsons where the doctor explains to Mr. Burns how he has every disease possible, but they all keep themselves in check because they can't get through the door. The different legal challenges keep Sega from releasing the game while keeping the composers from being able to realistically seek damages.
    904160.jpg