The "Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles" Quest for Music Composer Research

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by T.Q., Nov 18, 2019.

1. KMetalmind

KMetalmind

Many game contracts of that time separated PCs from consoles, so S3&K not having licensed music actually make sense. Another fact is that Sega only released S3&K and CD on PC, but not 1 or 2, which had Dreams Come True licensed music too.

Anyway, it's either MJ dying and having to deal with the heirs or Brad Buxed and/or other musician acknowledging their work was being reused. What's interesting is the reason why beta/PC music isn't used instead. Is it for the fan backlash? Is it that Sega would prove that they knew they couldn't use the music and they did it previously? Or is there any other trouble?

2. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    There's no way to know if MJ's estate truly got hip to the Sonic 3 thing, unless someone wants to ask John Branca somehow. But a lawsuit over the OST was apparently in progress a few years ago, so something's up. The thing is that I'm not sure if Brad was a part of that suit. Bobby Brooks got super defensive when asked about the OST, but Brad has talked about it pretty freely since MJ died, so I dunno.

Also, and this is just me spitballing, but there might even be rights issues with the beta music, and it wouldn't be the first time something done in house by Sega had licensing issues. Sonic CD's 2011 remake almost didn't get the US soundtrack because of hangups with Spencer Nielsen, I believe. It's either that, or they don't actually have the actual beta music anymore, other than what was programmed into the prototypes.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Such a shame that they didn't, by the way. Would have been quite interesting to have Nakamura-less releases of them, with alternate tracks from the "Sega Sound Team".

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That means he learned something after being screwed for credit by MJ for Stranger In Moscow. It’s freaking ICZ. I mean, he probably thought that Hard Times would never see the light of day. There are so many unrealized songs by various artists. Some still sneak out or are redone. For example, Lady Gaga’s “Telephone” written for Britney Spears which leaked well after she rejected it and Gaga did it herself.

It’s a shame how they couldn’t foresee re-releases for future platforms. Back then, there were no such expectations.