don't click here

The Sonic Music Archive (REBOOT)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SeanieB, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

<div align='center'>THE SONIC MUSIC ARCHIVE - http://sonicarchive.org/</div>

NOTE: We need more MP3 contributions. Let me know if you have a larger MP3 collection and you can contribute.

Well, after all our stumbles, falls and various restarts, we're going to try this again.

In early 2009 I and a few others started this project, and it was really great for a while until we had a bit of a falling out, but now I have my own facilities, with hundreds of gigs of space availible and extra hard drives on hand.

We're going to try to do this whole thing again, from the top.

I already have a forum up and running at http://forum.sonicarchive.org/ for use to organize the archive project and just some general discussion.

Those of you who have contributed in the past can post here and register on our forums to earn an upgraded "Contributor" rank on the forum.

This project will surround the huge community built around music and composition here in the Sonic scene.

We'll accept user composition, and various forms of preserving original soundtracks, from MP3s, to VGMs to ADX and FLAC files

Those who provide remix albums or collections may host them on the archive for free if you just ask for the upload details, for now we're using a private FTP login just as in the beginning.

I will be distributing those login details via PM on our forum and here. I encourage you to join our forum to gain your proper recognition for being a contributor.

PM me here, or join the forum and post what you have, or post here what you've got to contribute.

There's also an IRC channel for the archive at irc://irc.lostsignalnetwork.com/sonicarchive irc.lostsignalnetwork.com #sonicarchive.

I hope with this new machine, with the hosting and bandwidth fully under our control will help this project shine and grow better than ever!

See you there!

—SeanieB

2. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Awesome! Despite the problems you had in the past, I am glad you have persevered and rebooted the idea again. :)

3. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Thanks to SonMA user "Gsoft" we got these fancy new logos, and this affiliate button, like in my sig:

<div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Feel free to add this to your sig, affiliate bars, or whatever :D

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    YES. I'm happy you're giving this another go, good for you. Supported. :D

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'm in, again. Send on the details =P

6. NickW

NickW

I still got my collection of music waiting to be uploaded.

7. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    I sent PMs to the both of you, Thanks

Also, please PM me and let me know in a list what you uploaded. Thanks

8. I've got several high-quality albums I can contribute.

9. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    PM sent.

10. Vrantheo

Vrantheo

"Find Next Beat" Member
    Recently I've been expecting some "new materials" to be added more, since a large majority of the soundtracks can be recovered from the TKA.net mirror with ease.

My current wish-list:

Yeah I know this has been mentioned before.
    —Shadow The Hedgehog OST from Evilhamwizard
    —A proper lossless rip of the 3 SatBK CDs in total

Please anyone, heed my call...

11. jmr

jmr

I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll dig out those three for you. I'm pretty sure I have some older Project Chaos demos and wips too, I'll see if there's anything worth sharing.

12. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    I believe I sent you a PM

13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Send me a PM, I'll see what you still need. :)

I do hope someone uploads more lossless soundtracks though, I'm almost there to getting a complete set of everything. :(

14. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    We certainly need a lot more FLAC soundtracks

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    k, now that I have an account, where do I upload everything? :P

Everything I have is a mixture of FLAC/APE (I'm starting to like ape for some reason, but I try to get FLAC soundtracks as much as possible). I don't feel like typing up a list of what I can upload, so I just generated a list of my soundtrack directory (note some of the soundtracks I have might not appear because they're probably in other folders within the folders listed, but I think that's everything Sonic related).

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/38216/filelist.txt

EDIT: About the Sonic Adventure OST - I got a new rip into lossless with better sound quality, proper tagging, smaller file size, with cover/booklet art scans.

16. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Upload whatever isnt there, just do /media/OST/game/format, it needs a bit of cleaning up right now but that's the best method

FLAC only, no APE, for consistency...

17. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I'm not sure where everything should be going still (official Remixes/Compilations/Mixes/ETC) so I'm just uploading everything that I think should go with the directory "FLAC".

Another thing, I'm uploading a lot, so leave someone else in charge of renaming them for consistency. It's taking too long to upload as it is. :P

Don't RENAME ANYTHING RIGHT NOW UNTIL I SAY SO - it'll disrupt the uploads that way. :(

I hope you plan on keeping this up permanently this time. If it goes down again, you better have everything backed up, because I don't wanna reupload this crap all over again.

EDIT: I almost have everything that I have in a lossless format in my queue to upload except for one that's in a weird format (TTA). Does anyone know where I can find a freeware converter to convert this to FLAC?

18. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Should I re-upload my archive of obscurity (mobile/unreleased games nobody cares about), or does someone else have those saved?

19. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Okay, I have almost everything taken care of (I converted the soundtrack I needed into FLAC and it's going to be uploaded soon). I only have one more thing on my mind.

On Tails.Kicks-Ass.Net there are some really lame Sonic Dance albums I've never heard about that are in lossless. Are you interested in those? I don't want to download them, so if you want them, could you get someone else to do it for you? :\

I do have everything that's on that page besides those Sonic Dance albums (and Club Saturn, but it doesn't look like it's available). Later on, I'll write up a list of lossless albums we still need (Most notably Club Saturn, those two Black Knight albums, I think that might be it).

20. SeanieB

SeanieB

San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
    Go ahead, I'll PM you shortly

Okay, and no, we can get that later (the dance album)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.