don't click here

The "Sonic: Edge Of Darkness" Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Delta Hedgehog, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SuperBliz

SuperBliz

Over the rainbow
    Sonic: Edge Of Darkness
    Hello everyone, it's a been a while since I've made a post, but here's the trailer for Edge of Darkness at SAGE 2014, Act 2!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67LARSj7UwE[/media]

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The more I see of this, the more I get a vibe of it being the spiritual successor to Sonic XG, and that's a good thing in my eyes.

3. SuperBliz

SuperBliz

Over the rainbow
    Thank you very much ^^ However I do think it's a bit much to say that this compares to XG though haha.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean, I haven't played it yet (plan on it), but it certainly has a similar style if you ask me. Which is nice, I miss that game.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Finished playing the SAGE demo.

This is definitely one of my favorite fangames to come out as of recent. The gameplay has a really nice feel, especially the wall jumping and that 'boost' you get when you reach a certain speed when rolling down hills. Also, the amount of ways you can use the jump dash make it a very useful tool, yet it's not overpowered to the point of ruining the game. Level design's really fun and often fair, and the art is pretty neat.

Only thing I gotta say otherwise is that it doesn't seem that "Secret Level" thing works. Are you supposed to complete all the stages first to get to it? I did only get to act 2 of the third stage, so I'll probably try again soon.

Really awesome job on this! Can't wait to play more of the levels.

6. SuperBliz

SuperBliz

Over the rainbow
    Well I can say that Delta was highly inspired by Sonic XG, so that explains why the art is similar to it. I believe the last video posted for that game was over a year ago..

Thank you very much for your comments. :D

And sorry about that! Apparently I did some math wrong with the timer, so the secret level wouldn't unlock. I fixed it now on the SAGE page. (Also, the demo might lose some credibility, solely because of the secret level.)

7. Okay, I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally took some time away from my own projects to play some SAGE games and gave this one a try.

First off, the physics are very slippery. It's like Sonic accelerates far too quickly, and it quickly becomes difficult to change direction when needed. Every level felt like an ice level, and so when I got to the actual ice level, I don't know if I actually got used to the physics or if the "slippery level" mindset I automatically defaulted to allowed me to have an easier time. It would be nice if you either tweaked the initial acceleration down a bit, or just made every single level an ice area. :)

I absolutely love the feel of the Jump Dash (Not useful enough as a Homing Attack to consider it an actual attack) and the Wall Jump. You have the perfect timing for the animation and movement of Sonic grabbing and leaping off the wall, and the momentum for the action feels so natural that you pretty much know where you're going to land before you even attempt the jump. However, it did cause some problems for me. Right off the bat on the second Act of the first Zone (I'm sorry, I forget the name), I thought I'd find a secret above a bridge, so I naturally started Wall Jumping to climb up and look around. I left the screen, so my next thought was whether you thought of putting an off-screen ceiling or if I could run atop the level to skip a section. Instead, I missed the timing for the jump and fell back down the shaft. Sonic then phased through the ground and I was stuck inside the level terrain, unable to escape.

The biggest issue I had was the cheap and unfair hits that I took starting in Corrupt Canyon Zone. First off, the stone enemies that pop spikes out when you approach are unfair. They blend in with the rest of the level too well so you can't see them coming at high speed, and my Sonic & Knuckles habits kept getting me hurt because the original versions allowed you to touch the sides. The hit collision is also bugged. During the final sequence where the sand starts rising, there was one of them coming up. I jumped up and Homing Attacked it, which got me killed instantly. I figured that the hitbox for the spikes was off because I obviously hit the sides of the spikes. No matter, it's a fan-game so I can forgive a minor issue like that. The second time through, I had 6 Rings on me, did the Homing Attack again out of instinct, and instantly died again. Confused, I took a quick double check of the Ring counter as Sonic fell off the screen, and saw that I died even though I was still packing Rings. My guess is that the changing hitbox due to the spikes popping out at that instant somehow "crushed" Sonic. That might need to be looked at.

Also, like I said, I took some cheap hits. The earlier issue I can forgive as a bug, but having the Metropolis smashers pop out of the ground that quickly when they're impossible to see when fully lowered is just not fair. I admit, I was running through and would have possibly gotten hurt even if I could see them, but I honestly kept getting completely blindsided IWBTG style thoughout each one of those segments to the point where I was tiptoeing through half the level, terrified of when the next smasher was going to come up. Can you please make them at least visible?

The Boss battle for Corrupt Canyon is really fun in theory, but is far too random in practice in its current state. Right now, it's a complete crapshoot on when the correct block rises up in a position where you can actually get to it. What would fix this would be to either have each stomp the Boss makes not only pop the blocks in the air, but causes the location of the next block to protrude slightly from the ground so we can line ourselves up, or have the correct block always rise on the side the boss is facing, so that there's a chance we can actually reach it. The battle took far longer than it needed because I was getting a constant string of impossible-to-reach blocks.

The ice level was AMAZING, for how far I got into it. I love how you jump so much higher underwater, and the slowed movement speed while underwater helped me deal with the issues I had been having with the physics. It was so much fun to use the Wall Jump to soar flying through the water. It was the most fun I had ever had with an underwater segment. However, grabbing bubbles when the drowning music isn't active yet doesn't seem to replenish your air timer. I grabbed a bubble and the drowning music still started literally half a second later. Of course, my forward momentum in mid-air carried me away from the bubble, so by the time the glitch sunk in mentally, I was already in a mad panic to get back there.

I had to quit at the snowboarding segment. I noticed that I was on an auto-scrolling area, and instinctively turned to the left so that I would have as much time as possible to react to jumps and obstacles. I was then instantly crushed when the rolling snowball appeared. I'd recommend not letting the player go to the left until AFTER the snowball has appeared. I didn't even have a chance! It was a more unfair death than the crushers in the previous Zone, and I had to give up since it cost me my last life!