don't click here

The Sonic Adventure 2 that almost was...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by BlazeHedgehog, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Been awake almost 24 hours straight, here, so forgive any spelling errors or a lack of coherence on my part. Infact, I'm so far gone that posting this thread may actually be a bad idea!

Okay, so, there's something that's been bothering me for a really, really long time. Information I've vehemently clutched to as long as I can, and tried to make sure has never died. I hav basically burned this information in to my brain. Looking now, this information does appear to be in the Wiki, even using text I know that I personally wrote - except that I didn't write it for the Retro Wiki; it was likely pasted there from somewhere else I had written it.

The information pertains to an early, apparently very different version of Sonic Adventure 2. All of my sources on the matter came from Sonic HQ's news archives of the time, and the first incarnation of TSSZNews.

WHAT I REMEMBER

1. An employee of either Electronics Boutique, Babbages, or Gamestop visited some sort of retailers conference, where he viewed and later described several pieces of Sonic Adventure 2 concept art. Among them were Good/Evil Chao, a character he called "Nails the Bat", several pieces of concept art for "Dark Sonic" showcasing everything from full-body scars to a missing eye and missing appendages, an angelic-like girl, a troll-like creature with a big nose, and a monster made up of thousands of eyeballs.
    2. A magazine was given a preview of Sonic Adventure 2 where they described a branching storyline system, where at several points in the plot the player would be offered a choice in what they wanted to do. The given example was Sonic trapped in a submarine; the player was given the option to attempt piloting the sub to safety or to pop the hatch and take their chances in the water. This magazine also stated that "Chao would play a larger role in the game."
    3. That Sonic, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman were originally the only playable characters until outcry regarding the status of Tails and Amy Rose forced them to go back and rework the game a little bit.
    4. Early versions of Sonic Adventure 2 featured Adventure Fields like the original Sonic Adventure.

What I would like to do with this thread is discuss the plausibility of the above while at the same time seeking out the original sources of this information and attempting to verify it beyond "Blaze remembers it". Considering anybody could submit news to SonicHQ's news system, the validity of that should come in to question, too.

My statements on the matter are thus:

#1. is most definitely true. This was when the news broke about their being good/evil Chao, and "Nails the Bat" was obviously either a name this employee made up for Rouge or it was actually going to be her name at one point. I distinctly remember this guy describing that "Dark Sonic" and "Nails the Bat" were going to be evil versions of Sonic and Tails.

I've always been sort of skeptical about #2, considering I never remember any specific credible source being behind the information besides "some magazine somewhere that I've never heard of and can't remember the name." What gets me, though, is that a vaguely similar branching storyline system eventually turned up in Shadow the Hedgehog, a game which revisits a lot of Sonic Adventure 2's ideas in some way.

#3 is based strictly on the initial batch of screenshots and media featuring Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman exclusively. I distinctly remember a lot of hullabaloo regarding the existence of Tails in Sonic Adventure 2, and members of Sega and Sonic Team were questioned at multiple trade shows. I remember a SonicHQ news headline stating that Sonic Team was going back and adding more "familiar faces" to Sonic Adventure 2, including Tails. Later interviews with Sonic Team regarding games like Sonic 2006 seemingly referenced this event, touching on receiving lots of fan-mail if "a favorite character does not make an appearance".

On a personal note, I think the idea of S/K/E as playable characters works remarkably well, because Sonic represents good, Eggman represents bad, and Knuckles is painted as a wild card that can be on either side at any given time. He is, after all, Sonic's "friendly nemesis".

#4. comes off of a hazy memory that Sonic Adventure 2 was originally slated for release in February of 2001, but was delayed, with the mention of Adventure Fields being among the reasons for delay. Out of everything I've posted here, this is the least likely to be true.

WHAT WE KNOW

Early trailers for Sonic Adventure 2 were kind of dark, and prominently featured creepy music and a generally unsettling atmosphere.

The first teaser for the game even outright says the world "Evil", even though the final version of the game uses the much more kid-friendly "Dark" term.

And let's not forget the game's own logo.

[​IMG]

When we first see the game, this is the logo we are shown. The themes of light vs. dark, good vs. evil were always at play, right from the beginning. We have a logo that is literally divided in half, with white hedgehog spikes and black hedgehog spikes, with a gray outline. Every element, every shade of this logo was designed a very specific way to convey a very specific message. Sonic Team certainly made a big deal about their designed logo:

[​IMG]

Frankly, I've always felt the new logo was a bit garish.

WHAT THIS MEANS

Rumor content suggests a pretty big shift in the game's projected game design. Differences between official early material and the finished game only slightly hint at a pretty big shift in the game's projected game design. Was Sonic Adventure 2 and even darker, more serious game than what we got? Were Shadow, Rouge, and Tails originally intended to be playable from the start (maybe exclusively in multiplayer)? What about a branching storyline? Could levels like White Jungle and Green Forest have originally been both for Sonic, split up via a plot choice?

That's what I would like to discuss, to get to the bottom of this, and figure out if the information I've been holding on to mentally has been worth holding on to for this long. The last thing I'd like to be responsible for is wide-spread misinformation just because I think a few ideas "sounded cool".

2. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    I recall the justification you have for #4; it was definitely mentioned in either GamesMaster, an Electronics Boutique buyer's guide, or Official Dreamcast Magazine, in the UK.

#1 seems stupefyingly unbelievable, until you remember what they tried years later. If you're absolutely certain of the employee's story, then believe it, but I'm justifiably unconvinced.

Those trailers alone dispelled doubts about #3, but #2 doesn't seem to have a logical means of truly believing it unless someone produces the magazine in question.

This thread is probably going to be bursting with conjecture, but thankfully it's about something from the past, rather than something still upcoming (you know of what I speak). Those trailers are pretty amazing, and should the rumours you've provided turn out to be true, then discovering significant information about this very different, very early version of the game could be on-par with the impact that the dumps of Sonic X-Treme had.

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    This is hardly the only evidence we have for this. For one, we have the early trailers, the very same you posted, which only show Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman. Furthermore, it doesn't take a genius to realise the three additional characters are carbon clones of the original three, which supports their late addition to the game (too late to design three new gameplay styles from scratch, as was present in the original Sonic Adventure).

I honestly believe that the lack of a playable Tails and possibly Shadow were the cause behind the shift in the game's design, and Rouge might have very well been a brand new character created solely for the purpose of ensuring a nemesis for Knuckles. Funny to think that after hearing complaints about Tails' appearance in the game, they shoehorned him into a mech, which only generated MORE complaints.

This is another piece of evidence which supports the claim that the game was originally only half the size. Have you never noticed how a great deal of the stages are copies of eachother? Green Forest and White Jungle, Egg Quarters and Death Chamber, Sand Ocean and Hidden Base, and the list goes on. Granted, early media clearly showed both Knuckles in Pumpkin Hill and Sonic in Sky Rail, but I have to wonder how many "copy" stages they introduced in order to encompass the newcoming characters.

You may have noticed I don't refer to this as a possibility, but a downright certainty. All arrows point to it, and nothing seems to suggest otherwise.

Everything else is up in the air. I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a branching storyline, because as you said, it was later reused for Shadow the Hedgehog, but there's really nothing to prove that and/or Adventure Fields ever existed in the game, apart from being in the prequel. "Nails the Bat" just sounds stupid and is probably fake.

4. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    I could definitely see #3 being plausible, especially for Tails. If you notice Tails's levels, the reasoning for most all of them is something along the lines of "I'll go see if it's safe," which wold hint that his levels have no purpose in the plot.

So did "Silver the Hedgehog," but look what we got. :v:

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I remember a lot of what you said there from long ago, before I was a regular to places like sfghq or other sonic news websites, the submarine choice I remember reading about in I believe the official DCUK magazine and some friends also spoke about it, we were both DCUK readers.

Adventure fields is new to me but a long time ago I did wonder, some of the cut scene areas look like they could have been used for mini hubs such as the area where shadow, eggman and rouge plan their attack on prison island, the streets where sonic and friends all talk before tails drives off and the desert area outside the pyramids, all 3 of those areas are next to the main stage areas, but it could just be me taking a wild pot shot.

I don't know where to find any hard proof and I do not own any DCUK magazines any more.

6. I recall hearing somewhere that Rouge's original name was Nails, but I don't remember where I got that information or how long ago. I just know it sounds familiar.

7. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    The S/K/E thing looks very plausible; Shadow would work great as the main antagonist. Making a set of clones for S/K/E was a bit odd I guess.

What's with Knuckles' garb in the second video?

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This is pretty interesting. I also remember that Nails rumour, and also, that shadow's name was going to be Terios the Tenrec. I wish I could remember more from those times.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Official Dreamcast Magazine. I forget which issue, it was probably the one that ran their first look at SA2. I remember reading these details quite vividly.

Probably still have the magazine somewhere... Getting it would be a major bitch, though.

10. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Holy shit, that makes a lot of fucking sense. I always wondered why the hell Tails was in a mech all of the sudden. I never knew this. Wow. So that's why the gameplay in SA2 was repetitive. We were just playing re-skinned versions of each character all along, in levels that were meant to be played once, through the branching story.

It all fits, doesn't it? Man, I wonder how the story would have went if the original trio were only playable. I really wish they would have done that. SA1 sort of failed because of too many characters, and what do you know, they were actually going to try and fix that for SA2 before the fans butted in.

Sad, really. Ah well, what might have been...

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I wonder if stages that were similar to others were meant to be second Acts, if you will.

I've always enjoyed reading about SA2's development history, and it's cool this thread is here to make us really think about a few things.

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    The first thing I thought when you mentioned "Dark Sonic with missing eye or appendages" and "Monster made of eyes" was something for Pumkin Hill. Perhaps the concept art for the mangled Sonic was a generic Zombie Hedgehog enemy for the Pumpkin Hill Zone, and the Monster Made of eyes could easily replace that retarded fucking ghost boss, albeit with a different pattern.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, what Nomad said. I can't believe that in all the time I've played Sonic Adventure 2, this never occurred to me. Especially with the level copies.

I also always found it curious how Shadow, who was a pivotal part of the storyline, had so few levels dedicated to him. It was a big reason the Dark Story was such a chore to play through. If I remember right, Shadow only has four levels. I'm only really still familiar enough with the speed stages to do this, but...

City Escape to Radical Highway
    Metal Harbor
    Green Forest to White Jungle
    Pyramid Cave
    Crazy Gadget
    Final Rush to Final Chase
    Sky Rail

Yep, Sky Rail is the only one of Shadow's levels without a Hero Side analog. And we saw plenty of media in the trailers featuring Sonic in Sky Rail, which leads further credence to this theory.

14. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman have more stages than their counterparts, or at the very least more upgrades? Assumedly upgrades for Shadow, Rouge and Tails would have been more like afterthoughts compared to them if they were added in later, right?

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The only thing I know is that on March 2001 a magazine called Next Level said that there were going to be only five main characters. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles were playable, Eggman may have been playable and then was what would turn out to be called Shadow (not playable?). No mention of Rouge at all.

16. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    Thank God they decided not to go through with this one. I've always had a passionate hatred for Adventure Fields ever since the the first one. The only thing I like about the adventure fields, is the fact that it's possible to glitch certain characters in stages that they can't access by normal means. Too bad that wasn't the case with Next-Gen Sonic/Sonic 2006 or Sonic Unleashed.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    As a matter of fact, yes they do. Sonic has six upgrades, and Knuckles and Eggman have five. Shadow, Tails, and Rouge all have four.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Knuckles and Eggman both have 5 stages, and Sonic has 6, making Shadow only have 4. Tails and Rouge also only have 4 because they both get shoved into a kart for one level (hmm...), giving exclusive level-up items to Knuckles and Eggman in the form of the Air Necklace and the Protective Armor respectively, while Sonic gets two more than Shadow: the Magic Gloves and the Bounce Bracelet.

So yes, the characters who were late to join the party got the short end of the stick.

19. Mission Street to Radical Highway
    Prison Lane to Iron Gate
    Metal Harbor to Weapons Bed
    Green Forest to White Jungle
    Pumpkin Hill to Sky Rail
    Hidden Base to Sand Ocean
    Wild Canyon to Dry Lagoon (to Pyramid Cave)
    Meteor Herd to Mad Space
    Death Chamber to Egg Quarters
    Eternal Engine to Lost Colony
    Final Rush to Final Chase to Cosmic Wall
    Route 101 to Route 280

Singletons:
    City Escape
    Aquatic Mine
    Security Hall
    Crazy Gadget
    Cannon's Core
    Green Hill

20. Ninja'd, I don't care.

Though the Rouge/Tails disparity is more due to the fact that they both take Kart Racing stages instead. Only Shadow has a level drought, and only Sonic has a level surplus (and this is magnified if you consider that Shadow doesn't take part in Cannon's Core and the stage select screen considers it Sonic's level). You'll note that the sum of each gameplay type stages is about 10, with the total being about 30, similar to SA1's 11 stages among 3 characters each (or 2 for Lost World). So in terms of scope, they're pretty similar, just the implementation is different.

Regarding shared level thematics (if not outright architecture), consider SA1, where multiple characters entered the same level. It's not too hard to imagine some of the more same-y levels that cross over gameplay mechanic lines would still be in the "original" game, even perhaps under the same name or perhaps even the same areas. Speed Highway goes from Night to Day toward the end, so the lighting differences between Pumpkin Hill and Sky Rail aren't too far out, either.

On Rouge's assumed beta name, it's not that bad. Makes somewhat more sense than her current one, which could refer to a cosmetic, a famous French cabaret, or, if you reverse the name, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_Rouge,_Louisiana" target="_blank">the capital of Louisiana</a> (it's probably the first one). By contrast, "Nails the Bat" refers to her digging ability (her digging upgrade are the "Pick Nails"), fits with the nomenclature scheme of both Knuckles and Tails, and her name also sounds very similar to Tails', possibly hinting at a rivalry (which may or may not exist in their Kart Race chase sequence).

EDIT: Security Hall, the only Dark-exclusive level type, could be singled out as being relatively easy to create due to its small size and similar structure to the "Level 3" area of Iron Gate. The use of safes helped create more hiding places without having to develop a lot more level, but the time limit kept it exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.