don't click here

The Sonic 3D Beta topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    IFAIK, nobody had thoroughly searched the S2 final ROM for beta remenants (or anything else, for that matter) until the S2 beta showed up. This beta cart could provide the catalyst for examining the final.

2. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Believe it or not, but I do have a Sonic 3d final disassembly lying around (a private one, for private purposes) and I even wrote a decompressor for 95% of the stuff in Sonic 3d. But I scrapped hacking Sonic 3d due to the fact that it's 4MB and it's 'full'. Meaning that I'd either have to make a better R1 compressor than Sega's (doubtful, the compression is a fucking bitch) or store shit uncompressed (which is not possible, since the Megadrive ROM boundaries). So yea.

Btw the SCD stuff I ordered were sent last week through airmail so I should recieve it this or next week. So prepare for a dump :P

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If you wanted to hack S3D, the best thing would probably be to get rid of the FMV sequence. I imagine it takes up a large percentage of the ROM, and it's not really an integral part of the game.

4. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

So... what's the latest with the prototype? When will the dumping commense, and afterwards, will the hunt for new beta material be on full force?

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The last 2928 bytes are free, check them. If you compress all the uncompressed graphics and make Sonic 3D to load the graphics and decompress them in real-time, you'll win a lot of space, believe me. Even if the decompression isn't big, most of the in-game graphics are uncompressed, and a bit in an image turns into a lot if you think.

6. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I'm probably going to be very wrong on this, but since its a ROM file, can't you jack it up to about any size you want, or is the game just coded to not allow you to expand past 4 mb? I'm well aware that 4 mb is the Genesis cartridge limit, but if there was no limit on the size it could be so long as it was kept on a computer, it wouldn't matter, would it?

7. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    You could make a ROM larger than 4MB if you wanted. The Mortal Kombat Trilogy hack is over 6MB. However, it wouldn't work on most emulators or on a real Megadrive, and would probably be frowned upon.

8. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    I'm surprised this topic didn't got a pin.

9. Nicholas Onimura

Nicholas Onimura

Lurker Member
    Though I'm probably late on this comment, Nice find! :thumbsup: I can't wait for this to be dumped.

I'm also one of the few people to like 3D Blast. (I also liked Spinball and Sonic R, though by saying that, over half the board will hate me.)

-Nick O.

10. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Or you could use the SSF2 banking method and expand it up to a theoretical maximum of 32MB (64 512KB pages). It may not work on emulators currently if their support for this banking is limited to SSF2, but it would provide impetus for the support to be generalized. It would also run on hardware if one figured out the PCB wiring necessary to support the larger amount of data. The only banking restriction is that bank 0 ($000000-$0FFFFF) is alwasy locked as bank 0, due to the 68k vectors being in the first $100 bytes. All other banks can be moved around as one likes.

11. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    ....MK Trilogy hack?

This I might wanna play...

Where can I grab it?

12. we get teh beta plz?

13. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Don't worry about that. They still put up with me, and the others who play Shadow the Hedgehog—often—and enjoy it.

The few. The proud. The ShtH fans.

14. Fiore

Fiore

Everybody's Super Sonic Racing! Member
    Hmm, this is quite the interesting find. I do hope to see the ROM dumped sometime soon so we can get more in-depth looks at this; there's probably more down in the ROM itself that's not in normal play, which I'd very much like to see.

By the way Squintz; Shadow the Hedgehog? My cousin is obsessed with that game... then again, she's a big fan of anything Shadow or Manic. I'm more of a Sonic Riders person myself; Sonic Riders is like Sonic R, but with air boards and a storyline.

15. LocalH

LocalH

Well, it's the E3 demo, so I'd almost guarantee there would be something that was cut from the final.

16. Fiore

Fiore

My thoughts exactly, however I highly doubt we'll find anything as big as Hidden Palace Zone or Wood Zone, but still there's most likely to be some interesting little tidbits hidden deep within the blossoming layers of the game's deeper contents.

17. LocalH

LocalH

IMO, finding lost objects is just as big as finding lost levels.

18. Fiore

Fiore

Yes, you do bring up a very excellent point there. Lost objects of any kind would be a very excellent find; perhaps unused tiles or sprites.

And I just realized I used up three entire posts in the same topic in one night... I need to be more careful.

19. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    So... what's up with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.