don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Good start so far. Keep spreading the word where you can and get it out there to people. Also remind them to play and support the s1, 2, and CD remakes if possible... as those sales are always helpful, and this is how the games deserve to be played anyway.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    If one of the core team members behind this movement can assist me with the content of the thread (via PM or otherwise) I'll happily post a thread. Also kudos on your own efforts. I think if enough of us work hard on this there's a greater chance we can make it happen. Basically the crux of my argument is that press attention and shining a light on this movement via alerting the games press is the most powerful way in which our voices will be heard. For example don't Sonic Retro have a partnership with Segabits? So it should be extremely easy to get a news post about this on there correct? Then there's Sega Nerds, Sonic Stadium and so on; a wealth of sites that'd be interested in covering this with their own sets of readership. The more eyes that see this the greater the probability that someone from Sega will take notice.

Here's a good example. Circa around 2003 or so I started a Shenmue III petition. I was due to go on a trip to Israel just before uploading the petition where I had an Internet black-out for about two weeks. Just before I left I got one news post posted on a site I worked for as a favour. Before I left on that trip to Israel the petition had around 500 signatures. When I returned the petition had 70 thousand. What happened was that almost every known site in the universe had picked up on that first news post; posted their own news articles about it and it became a major news item across the sphere of the games press. The petition got so much press attention and so many signatures that Yu Suzuki even fucking acknowledged it. And that was a petition started by a then seventeen year old on a whim.

The point I'm making is that press attention can be powerful. It essentially shines a beam of light in the sky and then the company is forced to respond.

3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Here's a generic post you can use:

In the past few years, Sega released remastered versions of Sonic CD, Sonic 1 & Sonic 2. These were developed by Taxman and Stealth who included awesome bonus features such as new modes and levels.

The duo now have a prototype of a remastered Sonic 3, which also has exciting new features!

Support our campaign to get Sega to release it:

http://www.sonic3remastered.com/

On the website, you can sign a petition with one click. You even print & post a letter to the specific Sega exec who can make this project a reality.

Mini FAQ
    a) Do these petitions ever work?
    Sega has been very responsive in the past. For example, they ported console only titles to the PC and released several Japanese only titles to the west as a result of petitions.
    Plus, it only takes a minute to participate, so you've got nothing to lose.

b) Wont the Michael Jackson estate block the game?
    We don't know the exact the legal situation and Steam still has Sonic 3 for sale. However, if it's a problem, we ask Sega to use new music (perhaps from the PC version of Sonic & Knuckles collection).

c) Mobile games suck!
    We hope that Sega will release this on all platforms. But, a mobile release is better than nothing. Don't forget, you can play mobile games with physical controls and on a PC. Check the website FAQ for a full guide!

4. winterhell

winterhell

HD graphics? For what I know the closest we ever got in that regard was a fan game demo with Emerald Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone in 2012. Please explain.

I haven't played the 'remastered' versions. What do they have to offer over say, Sonic 3 Complete, besides widescreen support, achievements(rolling my eyes) and smoother special stages?

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yes, maybe it's better to remove the HD term as it means different things to different people.

Here are the new features past games had:
    -New characters with new routes: Play as Knuckles, Tails, Sonic & Tails and Knuckles & Tails*. Certain stages have new areas for them. You can also play as Super versions of all characters.
    -New special stages: Both Sonic 1 & 2 have an extra special stage
    -New levels: Sonic 2 had Hidden Palace Zone
    -New Power-ups: Use the Sonic 3 power-ups*
    -Enhanced Debug mode including lost beta objects
    -New 2P mode: Play new range of Sonic 2 stages in online 2P mode
    -Support for Wiimote, PS3 controllers and other bluetooth controllers
    -Sharper graphics: It's the original sprites, but they look gorgeous on retina displays. Animations have been enhanced
    -Remastered music: It's the original music, but 'resampled' (I think, I'm not sure on the technicalities), so it sounds a touch sharper
    -Time attack and boss modes
    -Save mode with level select

*Requires cheat menu

Some of the features such as widescreen mode, extra characters and Sonic 3 power-ups really help to give the classic games a fresh new feel. It's almost like playing them for the first time (almost). You can feel the love Taxman and Stealth have put in the titles.

For Sonic 3, Taxman and Stealth are planning all of the above, plus "Blue Spheres 2", new story scenes and full sized versions of the 2P levels. Check the website for more:
    http://www.sonic3remastered.com/
    Of course, all features are provisional and subject to change.

6. Nova

Nova

If you haven't played them, please refrain from being so negative about them.

By HD graphics, he means the resolution of the video output. Most phones these days are 720p/1080p. HD.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cG3ZWCvr38

But other than that one-off and double the amount of multiplayer stages, its more to do that the games get touched up and aren't simply just emulated shells. They feature little new touches for the older players while freshening up the games to be better received by newer players. There's inherently little wrong or to be opposed of there.

Sonic 3 Complete is a wonderful example of how much cleanup can be done to the game and still make it functional and customizable, but it will still remain restricted to what the Genesis can allow and can only be utilized through emulaton. I don't know if anyone's put it on a cart and played it on hardware, though I'd love that to be a thing. I'd commission a repro for that once the project is fully finalized.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Don't actually use this. You'll look like you just want to advertise it rather than start a discussion about it. Especially if you'll make the same thread with the same post on multiple forums.

9. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    I signed the petition, and passed it around to IRL people who would appreciate it.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    A reminder that it has been said that RL letters are more effective than just signing the online petition. I've done both so if you do the same it will make this campaign more effective

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    That's a good point, as I forgot a lot of forums have strict rules on advertising.

I guess the best thing is just to post the link and a few words as to why you personally think the campaign is a good idea.

For all who have sent the letter, please tweet the photo with #sonic3remastered or email it to [email protected] and I can put it on the site gallery. If you don't have a photo, just send your name (or a screen name) and I can use a stock image of the letter. It's not a requirement, but it's nice to have them all in one place.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I've sent mine over to you on email.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've put it on a flash cart and played it through that. It works beautifully.

14. ForgeCircuit

ForgeCircuit

I'm listening to the S&K Collection PC music right now, and the Ice Cap/Launch Base/Carnival Night tracks sound OK. Not great, but I would settle for 16-bit remixes of those tunes.

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    They sound quite a bit nicer on the Genesis, in my opinion.

16. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I've contacted the following sites. I had contacted most of them in the past, but hopefully now that there is a petition with 250+ signatures, they might be more inclined to cover it:

Sega Bits
    TouchAracde.com
    Retrocollect.com
    Sega-16.com
    Polygon
    Sega Nerds
    Den of Geek
    Sonic United
    Kotaku
    TheGhz.com

Apparently for the #SegaPcPorts campaign, fans would regular tweet at places like Polygon and Kotaku until they covered the petition. Possibly something to consider.....

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Oh wow. Awesome. Do you still want me to post that thread on NeoGAF? I've been slacking in that regard but I can post one tonight.

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Don't forget Destructoid. Their big Sonic guys may be gone, but they still covered Freedom Planet at the behest of someone from here, I believe.

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie

Yes, please do. Thanks!

I'll send them an email, thanks.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please post. Also, it might be a good a if a few people contact some of these sites.

20. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Not to discourage anyone, but to put things into perspective - even 250 truly guaranteed purchases is still a very long way off from covering development cost / just breaking even

That said, it's still pretty cool :D