don't click here

The Sonic 3, 20th Anniversary & Knuckles Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Taxman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    I was just thinking... if the MJ music is the big hurdle that Sega can't get over for remastering the games, why don't they use the Sonic and Knuckles Collection alternate songs?

Would having the games made with a few accommodations be worth it?

2. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Ok, so, you guys are getting serious now apparently. Since you've got media and persons of importance getting involved, I find this very important to say-

Pushing that the soundtrack issue is only a rumor, especially on the campaign site itself, is a very bad idea, because it's almost an absolute certainty that it's not. Word has reached me to varying degrees from multiple people on multiple occasions that there is, in fact, a legal issue regarding Sonic 3, but none of the sources have been any more specific than that. Given what we've known about the music for a very long time from publicly-speaking sources, it is extremely likely that a legal dispute regarding the music is, in fact, in-part responsible for any particular lack of action regarding Sonic 3. Note that this post from 2012 contains a quote from Cirocco Jones that mentions a lawsuit "going on or about to go on" regarding the music for Sonic 3, and directs the interviewer to Bobby Brooks, whose apparently-tellingly-defensive response is also at the bottom of the same post. For those citing release dates, note also that the last release of Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was for Steam in the previous year, 2011

That's why the preliminary and final campaign letters contains section addressing the "potential" issue regarding the music - this was at my request. If you actually want Sonic 3 to move, it will be extremely important that you make the decision-makers aware that you will accept a game with modified music if that's what it takes. If you tell them "I want Sonic 3", they read "I want Sonic 3, exactly like it was originally, no exceptions, and if it's any different I actually won't buy it". You have to explicitly tell them "I want Sonic 3, and if it means that some of the disputed content has to be changed, that's fine because the game will still be good and I will still buy it"

3. Falk

Falk

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Or, y'know, they could re-add the music as an option a la Sonic CD's JP and US Music options once whatever the legal issue is over with should they be so inclined. They don't have to, I just want the game, but a SMD and SKC Music options would be nice if it were to possibly become an option.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Did anyone make good Mega Drive renditions of the PC Sonic 3 tracks? I can't stand those altered tracks myself, but presumably being able to swtich between the two would be a much requested option. And at least using those keeps it more authentic than trying to make new ones or ditching music entirely.

Unless you can make something that almost sounds like the real thing, but clearly isn't. And isn't like a lot of Mega Drive-esque Sonic music that people compose, where it all sounds good but there's pretty much no melody at all.

6. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    So pretty much what I just said a page or two back? I thought it was important that they know users won't mind different music in this case. It's not like Yoshi's Island DS, where the entire soul was gutted from the game, not just the music.

Sonic 3 with a few different tracks here and there isn't going to bother me. It will be a fairly different beast of its own when remastered either way, because there's always going to be that one guy who complains bugs from the original aren't present. I seem to recall person doing so over the Sonic CD remake.

7. Falk

Falk

Jong Un is more likely to come out and say Obama is the best bro ever.

8. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Tiddles' Sonic 3 Complete has Genesis versions of all of the PC tracks as made by ValleyBell. Various people have done a few tracks here and there as well; for example, Sonic 2 Retro Remix, soniNeko, and Sonic 1 Remastered all have Ice Cap Act 1 PC. (I couldn't find a quick link for the Remastered version, sorry ;P)

That said, taking things straight from the fans could be a big legal gray area.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I appreciate your clarification on this. It's a damn shame issues like this come about on a product already considered a 'classic' but this isn't the first time such a thing has happened (supposedly, Earthbound/Mother 2 had similar issues). I quite like the PC versions of Carnival Night and Launch Base, personally... Ice Cap would be missed, but the PC Ice Cap song wasn't a bad song, per-say, just not as amazing as "Hard Times" was.

Still, would I buy this release? Absolutely. Bought the PC collection as a kid and loved it, want this even moreso. And there's always the originals if I must go back.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @Stealth
    Thanks for your input. I've tweaked the FAQ on the campaign site to remove the whole "Music issue is rumour" information, so hopefully it's better now.

@HEDGESMFG, Polish Pete, steveswede, Josh, Jen, TimmiT & AyyLmaoGames:
    Thanks for all your efforts! :thumbsup:

11. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    Well, considering that we want you guys to work your wonders with this game the way you did the last three, it will hopefully have some significant differences and improvements already. The S&K:C music is a small price to pay for that. Heck, I grew up with Sonic & Knuckles Collection, so that'd be more nostalgic for me, personally, anyway. (No offence to any Genesis purists, out there.)

12. Speaking of music, Tony Harnell liked my Sonic 3 tweet. Looks like our campaign is finally gaining some speed now.

13. ForgeCircuit

ForgeCircuit

Such a shame that the music is an issue. Is it just Ice Cap and Launch Base? Or is it the whole game?

14. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's been covered on cutefluffykittens, so hopefully that will bring more attention:
    http://www.cutefluffykittens.com/2015/02/07/fans-mobilize-organize-for-sonic-3-remastered/

The online petition has already gained 60 signatures, which is good going, as it's not 24 hours old yet.

15. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    The pieces of music that are most likely going to be replaced would be Ice Cap, Carnival Night, Launch Base and the Sonic 3 Credits music. Not to mention the songs already replaced in Sonic and Knuckles, Knuckles' Theme and both of the boss themes. (Which is a damn shame, because Sonic 3's mini-boss theme is one of my favorites. :()

16. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    If SEGA is having a dispute for music in Sonic 3, doesn't that mean they would pull sales of Sonic 3 or Sonic 3 & knuckles from digital shops? Also wouldn't the best solution be to ship with a modified album and allow the user to put their own custom tracks in the game? That way they can just replace the track that plays in every stage in the options menu and forget about it? Noticed they have been trying to go original as much as possible after the Crazy Taxi thing.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    So a good few hours have passed and wondering have any of you posted the letter?

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think this energy and drive from the community is pretty fantastic. All I have to add is that a thread on NeoGAF could work wonders. I know it was suggested earlier on in the thread but I checked and don't see one posted yet? I have thread posting privileges on NeoGAF as do other members here like TimmiT and CoolJerk. If you guys can generate the content you want for the thread I'd be happy to post one. Also remember that the entire sphere of the games press have their eyes on NeoGAF constantly for news, stories and so on. If a thread is posted there the games press could and probably will notice and potentially post articles that could help the cause. It's not definite but it's highly likely the thread would generate press attention. It's the only idea I can think of that would shine more light on this effort.

If you guys want a thread on there just let me know and I'll do the honours. I think it could potentially help and help a lot.

19. Do it. I would have posted it there already if I had thread privileges.

I made a post on the Sonic reddit and GAF Sonic community thread about it before. I guess I can make a new post saying it has reached the next stage.

I also tried to post about it before on the official Sega forum sonic board, but that went way less than ideal...

20. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Aren't the SEGA forums generally bad to begin with? I've heard nothing but less than favorable viewpoints about that community. I'm willing to be proven wrong, though.

Would have totally done it if I had my own car. I'd get laughed at for wanting to send a letter, in a language I can't read, to some head cheese hoping he'll green light a game remaster that nobody I know likes. My relatives couldn't hate Sonic more, and if they did, somebody would get pepper-sprayed. :v: *bricked*