don't click here

The Sixth Annual Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    they're all one trophy again =P It's just whatever music sounds nifty with the level ~.^ lol

Oh.. and there's another trophy. Stuck it at the end of the first post. This will also now start effecting final judging.. can't believe I didn't have this before o_o

2. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    Ambil has been added on as a judge

3. Flygon

Flygon

Nice.

Grats Ambil.

4. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Haw.

I'm proud of partaking into the decision of this contest. This is my opportunity to show my rating methods are valid, despite what some people say. But first off, this is a contest not for me being the 1337 rom evaluat0r, but YOUR chance to show your skills.

Note that I will probably not know the (screen) name of many creators of hack. This should be an advantage, in order to be a fairer judge. So, better refrain from posting comments like this...
    ...because you may find surprises in the final results.

Now I would like to post something as a judge: my own requirements for a hack to be reviewed by me. You don't have to post them here, better send them to me as a PM or in the IRC channel.

REQUIREMENTS:

= Level select cheat
    = Debug mode cheat
    = Super Sonic cheat (if applicable)

= IMPORTANT: A name for your ROM file that isn't "s1built.bin" or "s2built.bin". You don't know how annoyed I am of having to change the name of every single ROM file I download. So from now on, if you want to enter a hack, GIVE IT A MOTHERFUCKING NAME before sending it, please.

Don't count them.

and any other that comes into my mind in the next weeks, so stay tuned.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Actually, disregard that comment, because Megamix won't be entered in the next contest. Sorry.

And it's not because you're judging—though, to be frank, I don't really trust you judging anyway, so I guess it's for that and for other reasons I'm not going to disclose. We'll likely enter in the next contest.

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed those requirements—so Megamix wouldn't qualify anyway, because I'm not giving out the cheats. Oh well!

6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    What if one doesn't exist?

7. Ambil

Ambil

Hah, Cinossu told me the same. If you deleted the debug mode, just tell me it has no debug cheat.

MASSIVE EDIT: First, One could always poke the RAM in a emulator or load a savestate of a level select cheat, if applicable. (E.g. in Megamix after you complete the game with a character). LOL I'm a pirate.

Second, about the debug mode cheat: It's still an O RLY situation, because if you aren't "giving out the codes" you can always say you deleted your debug mode in your hack. I consider the debug mode cheat is the less important for me in order to rate the levels of a game.

Third, it's not for being you or any other person (I should be as unbiased as possible), but I will not care, as long as it's for this contest, about what you or anybody else thinks about me as a judge, or popular opinions about hacks entered. That's up to Julia, not to me. I'll just do my work and that's it.

And finally, it's not me, but Julia, the one who has the final say in the prizes, same as she has the power to choose someone more for the job or get rid of me for requesting all this stuff just to play a game.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Something like level select is a must for a competition like this, especially when you have multiple hacks to get through, or when they are incomplete and it's impossible to pass certain sections.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I wonder; if I had only actually completed one zone of my hack (And the rest an unfinished mess), would it still be a good idea to enter? ;)

10. Ambil

Ambil

There are prizes for individual levels, explained in the first post. Your zone can be a candidate for them if you enter an unfinished version of your hack.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Another question, then. I want to enter, but I also want to keep my hack private until it's in a state that others can see (GHZ, LZ and SLZ are all messes of unfinished tiles). Are the contest entries available publicly after being judged, or can they remain private?

12. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Hopefully it'll be like the last time, and allow entries remaining private on request. There are things in S1EE I don't want to completely reveal to everyone right now..

13. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    All entries are considered private. Anyone that wants it done otherwise can release their hack in their hack's individual topic if there is one.

Honestly, level select and debug (if they exist) can easily be worked around in a savestate. If I REALLY think I need something like that, I could easily go through and do it myself without asking for codes. What makes a hack good or not has nothing to do with its codes and they should only be used as a work around if there is a BAD flaw in the game. Flaws like that generally will get you docked a bunch anyway =P

I chose Ambil myself, because I agree with his judging system. Honestly, I don't agree with many of his personal viewpoints at all. That doesn't mean he's not capable of doing what I asked him to do, however. I trust him to judge the hacks just as fairly as I feel that I judge them.

EDIT: and you don't need to change the filename. I don't care about pet peeves. Also, I will NOT have anyone being biased no matter WHAT they say. I don't care if Tweaker said that he was going to win. He has that right. It doesn't change how good or bad a hack is and, honestly, Tweaker has a right to be cocky. Megamix is a fucking awesome hack and rates up there with past contest winners like Esrael's Sonic 2 Delta. I'll change the filenames for Ambil if it bothers him so much. That's no big deal to me, but the hackers are the ones that did the work and I'm not going to make people jump through fucking hoops to enter a contest.

14. Well, I've never made a hack before, perhaps I'll go for the 1337!!! Trophy :P

15. Ambil

Ambil

This has been taken into consideration and thus removed from my requirements.

16. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    Whatever works for you!

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Hmm, so, I don't believe for a second I'll finish my brand new game by the deadline, but... if I did, would it be eligible, as it is technically a Sonic hack due to being a copy of SATSEE with everything but the sound driver and SST code removed? :P

18. I can probably make an extremely bad hack ^^.

19. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    As long as it's Sonic related, any hack is eligible.

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Oh wow, I wasn't even serious, and it's allowed XD Well, it's all good, I guess I will enter it if I get far enough with it by the deadline then :3