don't click here

The Silver Topic!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tenniru, Apr 6, 2009.

Would you buy it?

1. Immediately.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once it's in the bargain bin.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, Silver sucks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    So you've got Silver. I can't deny that as a character, he lacks plenty (then again, most of them do). However, one thing sticks out about him. Thinking back to playing Sonic 2006, I found Sonic and Shadow tedious, harrowing, and at points unplayable. (I still can't get past the Mach Speed section of Kingdom Valley, and Shadow's crippled homing attack has kept me from getting out of Flame Core.) One thing, though, made it worth the money I spent; Silver. Although the physics were still creepily unstable, with Silver the act of manipulating the weird bizarro-world became much more fun. Stupid gimmicks could be creatively bypassed by the hover boots or the "riding a box around" trick. You could pick stuff up and smash things with them; boxes, robots, anything. You could pick up so many barrels that the game would break. Enemies that drove you mad as other characters were now playthings.

I think Silver was the high point of Sonic 2006, and I find it sad that he never got his own game, designed better, to exploit this new, interesting style of gameplay Sega had found. If Silver The Hedgehog came out, made by the Unleashed developers, I'd get it in an instant.

Would you?

2. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    I don't know if you can call gameplay style entirely new... I mean, his telekinetic abilities are at least a little reminiscent of those of Sonic's Magic Gloves in SA2/SA2:B. But for the most part, yeah, he is rather original.

I never really got why people, when they first saw what he looked like, thought he looked really bizarre and stupid, what with his very different set of spikes from either Sonic or Shadow. What did they expect Sonic Team was going to do, make another Sonic who has silver fur and gold eyes instead and only one of his spike sticks out in a different direction? Did they really expect Sonic Team to not be creative at all? I for one actually instantly thought he looked cool and interesting, and didn't think he looked dumb but different. I think his is one of the cooler character art designs. And as I said earlier, his gameplay is one of the more original and noteworthy ones.

He's not one of my favorite characters, but he's still rather cool.

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The proportions of Silver's spikes are a variety of kind of weird.

And I don't think any thread about Silver would be complete without these pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silver is kind of a strange character. I think he's really lame the way they made him, I seriously think they need to reinvent him. I like the idea, but if they were to do that, I'd wish they do it as it's own universe, not attached to or adding any additional baggage to the established Sonic universe.

I think they need to reevaluate Silver's powers. Whenever I get the ability to use telekinesis in a game, it always feels really weak and kind of useless on it's own. Eh, I can't really elaborate on this very well right now. Way too late.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    As soon as I started playing Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, I knew that Silver's gameplay should be close to it. For anyone that hasn't played it, when you pick things up with the Force, you have total control of the object, can move it around until you decide to throw it or let go of it. You can't pick up as many objects as in Sonic 06, but it is far more slick. Combine that with some good platforming and make him a bit faster and you have Silver's perfect gameplay.

Telekinesis in Sonic is an interesting concept that I feel wasn't implemented very well in Sonic 06. I don't think there is any problem in more hedgehogs in the series, but each one needs to be totally unique and stand out. Or just stop now, while the balance is pretty good.

5. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Silver was actually a pretty decent character. Just couldn't stand his voice. His voice is completely different to his "Bad ass" look. =P

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I agree with Ollie. The voice absolutly killed the character, but his look was awesome.

As for the Force Unleashed thing, imagine if he retained his powers AND a sword.

8. xcliber

xcliber

Giving him a sword? You might as well call him Trunks. (Oh wait...)

Since he's not particularly fast, I could soooooo see silver in a Half-Life 2 style puzzle game where his only weapon is the gravity gun, or in this case, psychic powers. :v:
    I think this concept would be cool in an entirely "over the shoulder" shooter perspective like Resident Evil or Dead Space.

9. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I might buy a game with silver. First of all, I have never played sonic 360 (lucky me :P) and I don't know silver's abilities but I heard he can float and pick up things from a long distance. Take the fact that Aquaslash is also making a hack with silver, so why would I buy if I can just download that? If that game will be made by sega, in 3d, no. I would to see for once a 2d sonic game released to the sega mega drive/genesis by sega themselves after the year of 2000. And the first game I will play will be sonic 4, and the game starring tails, and this.

10. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Original my behind. He was just a character version of HL2's Manipulator, a tool to show off the Havok physics. As with everything Sonic Team handles, it's badly implemented.

Silver is not only a ripoff of Trunks, but also uses an old staple of scifi, Everyone Has This Cool Power in The Future (except for Blaze; wonder if she's treated like a handicapped person in the '06verse). He doesn't seem to add much interesting to the series' already mutilated mythos (Do I have to mention Iblis Trigger? Eggman Nega and Blaze are from the future IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW HAHAHAHA no). Since he's time-displaced, he doesn't add much in the character interaction department. Every plot he's in will have to involve time-travelling in some way.

His design is merely passable. When I look at him, I think there's something missing, some kind of "ring". Even Shadow, despite his fanchar face and lame powers, has a certain theme around his appearance that makes him feel like part of the cast to me. Silver looks like something I'd see at SoaH City's roleplay boards.

Still, I'd get a Silver game if it was good. Why not? I doubt it would happen, though.

11. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    I like Silver, but I'm afraid he's getting the Shadow treatment, in that, despite being from the future, he's appearing in everything. Not that there's anything wrong with it, he's fully in control of it, and being in the future, he should be able to appear whenever he feels like...

Silver: "Hey guys, I'm back! Wow, how ironic, I came while you needed one more character for Rock Band!"
    Sonic: "Ugh"

:v:

Indeed, I could see myself playing a Silver game, as long as all the bugs are worked out and such. As mentioned prior, I could see the game being like that from Force Unleashed, but with Stormtroopers replaced with badniks and such of course. :(

http://francisthemenace.deviantart.com/art...res-P-109789590

I would so buy this game.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Little known fact:
    The reason Silver was called and redesigned as such, along with the game he first appeared in being called Sonic the Hedgehog, is because SEGA originally intended for three games to be released and put on shelves side by side

And now, who comes next? Easy

3) Silver the Hedgehog _

Of course, with the failure and complaints of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, that idea has most likely been canned, and Sonic Unleashed came out.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I didn't forget them, I left them out because they're pretty lame, though I'm curious if the second one was drawn by the Sonic Channel guy.

14. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    And his eyes look like something from the Hypno-Toad... :v:

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I always thought the second one looked quite awesome to be honest. Although, I guess his eyes and fur wouldn't match the other hedgehog's basic designs.

16. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Personally, I'd like to see lots and lots of clever puzzles. I think silver would be best suited to a puzzle-platformer, where you'd, for example, have to find a way to hit a large iron ball into the hatch keeping water out of a chasm, which you could cross by swimming, using your psychokinesis.

17. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I think a stand-alone Silver game would need puzzles and "throwing things at people"--when the camera wasn't being a prick, Silver's combat in '06 was actually pretty fun. I think, though, that Silver needs some specified abilities rather than the context-sensitive RT moves in '06.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I'd be all over this, obviously. Especially if it was rendered with the hedgehog engine. That might be worth a jizzing of the pants.

19. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Silver is the character who helped me overcome my fear of Telepaths after seeing the end of Psychonauts.

God bless his soul.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I'd buy something like this - or at least put it on a wishlist. I really like Silver as a character, personally, and aside some additional backstory to him, I personally'd be rather confident his gameplay would be fun to me. : D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.