don't click here

The Quest For Missing Images (Sonic X-Treme)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by David The Lurker, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    I could see how something like this could fall under the radar, but not that long ago Chris Senn's Sonic Xtreme Compendium went offline. Well, kinda. The forums are still up, his main resume site is still there. But the server that was hosting all the material on the compendium proper seems to have gone missing.

Now, I'm not asking for the whole thing. Or most of it. I was able to sneak around and recover just about everything that was on the site, including the random material which was found in the directories that was never displayed on the proper front page. However, there is one section that seems to have disappeared almost entirely: the concept art that was under the "enemies" header. It seems these files were housed in a server associated with the "Project S" fangame that he was helping with that ultimately went nowhere, and because of that resources like archive.org prove unhelpful.

I know it might seem like it would be simple to ask the forums on that site, but the people there don't seem to have them either, since I'm not the only one who has asked. But, this is Sonic Retro. I'm sure that someone here had the foresight to save the concept images.

For reference, I am speaking of the images that are under the "enemies" header in this picture. There are a total of 29 images in that section, all of which are numbered 01.png through 29.png. I did manage to come across five of them, so the ones missing are 02 through 10, 12 through 14, 17 through 20, and 23 through 29. On a lesser note, I'm also missing the small .gif icons associated with images 25 through 29, but that is of less importance. What's most important is those concept images, because...hey, it's Sonic X-Treme. It was the biggest "zomg mystery" of the Sonic Universe after the Hidden Palace Zone of Sonic 2.

2. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Considering how active and responsive Chris is with the community, you probably can just wait awhile and everything will be back up. Maybe he's just busy and hasn't noticed it went down?

3. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    I love Sonic X-treme lol and was so fascinated with it in the past. I hunted down every image, concept and video I could find. I have everything that was on Sonic X-treme forums if you want them. I just went and checked and I have all the enemy concept pictures you want along with boss concepts and level concepts if you want those as well. I'm a saveaholic so I literally have everything you can think of.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I have quite a few things archived on an external hard drive, not too sure how much of it is from the SXC but I do remember me saving quite a bit of it. If my archive folder isn't too big, I'll upload it to my web space if you like?

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    May I ask, does anyone have the level layout drawings Hirokazu Yasuhara did for Xtreme? Not the one featuring different level hub layers, but as-in actual level design he drew up. I lost them on my computer a while back and the site that had them up at one point is down.

I believe the layout was to the first two acts of a supposed rendition of Jade Gully, separated into several sections an act. It also was from isometric view and almost looked like a 3D Blast stage.

6. Tanks

Tanks

I backed up the whole site.

CRISIS AVERTED!

7. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Here you go. That's some neat stuff, actually! I hadn't even known Chris had released anything beyond the first six...and it's the coolest stuff connected to the project. Almost makes it look like a proper Sonic game!

Well...I could...but what's the fun in that? Besides, I think he's aware on some level.

As for Trunks/Ollie/SonicGenesis...oh man oh man. Whoever wants to sneak me over "the stuff," go on ahead. I do appreciate it kindly, good sirs and/or madames!

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Oh man, thank you! I've been looking for all that stuff for the past year and a half! Major kudos to you! :D

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

He must be. I remember I visited the site in the Summer and it was already like that?

10. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Sorry I wasn't on earlier to reply, later this evening I'll send all my stuff to you. :)

11. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    It would be nice to have the yasuhara folder uploaded along with the rest of the compendium files on a proper server.
    The best approach would be to merge it with the Sonic Retro wiki. Who would have the patience to manually convert Chris's site to wiki form?

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    Would you mind sending that over to me too? I was a saveaholic myself, back in the day. I'm sure I've still got piles of stuff saved on CDs somewhere.

13. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Sure! I'll send them your way tomorrow! :) I think I have all of the stuff from Chris's site if someone does decide to merge his stuff into the wiki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.