don't click here

The Putt & Putter (Game Gear) megathread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by nineko, Mar 6, 2011.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    So I made level maps for the Game Gear version of Putt & Putter and I uploaded them to smspower here. I might upload them on this wiki as well. I tried to post them here but I hit the limit of 30 images per post (there are 36 maps).

Furthermore, I tried to look into the rom to see if I could find the level data (I want to make a level editor). I couldn't find the level data (yet), but I could find some passwords stored as plain text. They aren't level passwords, but general purpose cheat codes. This made me want to crack the password formula (which stores the number of balls left other than the game mode and the level number), and in less than one hour I succeeded. The thread on smspower where I documented all of this is here, complete with a password generator I wrote in like 15 minutes:
    [​IMG]

If any of these informations can be of interest for Sega Retro just let me know.

2. RACCAR

RACCAR

Dragon Team Member
    Madrid Spain
    Spiderhog, Sonic Ages, and Sonic Paradise
    Impressive, good job.

I love Putt & Putter, is a pretty unknown game , but very fun. Also, it's graphics reminds me of Green Hill.

I've played at Master System version, mostly, which is different from this Game Gear version.

I've recently made a reproduction of the Mega Drive version, from japanese Meganet service. Also made a Sonic Eraser reproduction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Love Putt & Putter, first game gear game I owned.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Wow, I've never heard of this.
    I reminds me of "Special Tee Shot" on the SFC B.S. service, which was awesome and so is this.

There is a surprising lack of YouTube videos on it as well.

5. nineko

nineko

italy
    Good idea, maybe I will upload a complete walkthrough in the next days. Too bad that I don't have much free time now that I have a job...

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I ported nineko's password generator to Qt4/C++ and Win32/C.

Linux version: (Qt4/C++)
    [​IMG]

Win32 version: (Win32/C)
    [​IMG]

I may do a Mac native version later.

Downloads:

This program is licensed under the GNU GPL v2.

EDIT: Derp, I accidentally commented out the IsDialogMessage() call in the Win32 version, which broke tabbing between widgets. Version 1.0.1 for Win32 fixes this. (The Qt4 version wasn't changed, so I didn't compile 1.0.1 for Linux.)

7. nineko

nineko

italy
    Nice work :D

I remember you mentioned that my original source code should be available because of the license you used, here it is.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    You didn't release the VB5 version under the GPL, so technically you don't need to do that, but okay. :)

Anyways, I have some fixes for screen centering in the Qt4 version in my local repository, but I won't do another release until I write the Mac native version.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, not really. If you took his code and modified it then yes, but he made it from scratch so technically they're completely different programs according to the license. Eh, not like it hurts, somebody may want to look into the VB version anyways.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  11. nineko

nineko

italy
    That's interesting. Leftovers are even more awesome when they are on an entirely different console.