don't click here

The Mobius Fallacy

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mercury, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I have mentioned this before, in this thread, but I felt that it needed a little more attention.

There is currently a mistaken notion that the name Mobius, for Sonic's home planet in the Sega of America canon, originates from a mistranslation in this Yuji Naka interview. This is simply untrue, as I will demonstrate, but it's even mentioned on Wikipedia. I edited the article to remove the mistake, but the next morning my edit was undone. Mysterious. It said "unreliable source". So now Sonic Retro isn't a reliable source, and somehow Concept Mobius is? I think not.

Furthermore, the edit I made to the Sonic Retro article on the interview, was also rendered impotent. The citation link to Concept Mobius I had removed was restored. This is less egregious, because it is simply listing a second possibility for the mention of the word Mobius, and not suggesting that it is the origin of the name. Still, I feel that it is misleading, not the least because it implies Concept Mobius as an authority (the site has a more speculatory bent).

Now I will attempt to prove my case. But first I have to make it clear that there are two issues here, intertwined. The first is where the name Mobius came from. The second is the question of why Yuji Naka mentioned the word, when it is not consistent with the Japanese canon.

I am not certain of the origin of the name Mobius. Perhaps someone like Dean Sitton can better answer that question. But I can certainly demonstrate that it is not from this interview.

First, a couple quotes from Concept Mobius.

This is stated baldly as fact, not as his opinion.

Another dubious claim, stated as fact.

How does he know what inspired the level artists? Has he spoken with them? Again, this is pure opinion.

How does he know this is a misinterpretation or a mistranslation? Was he there when the interview was conducted? Does he have a taped recording, does he even speak Japanese? Where is the evidence for these claims?

Also, this is insulting the man who developed the games this person's site is dedicated to. And hey, isn't the site called Concept Mobius?

Moving on....

The name Mobius is used in this Promo Comic from 1991.

I was very young at the time, and personal anecdote is not reliable anyway, but I read this very interview when it first ran in Sega Visions, in 1992 (in fact, it was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of Yuji Naka). I feel sure I was already referring to Sonic's home as Mobius before then, perhaps because of the above comic only, or other material from SoA at the time (such as other Sega Visions articles).

Also, the Sonic Bible.

It is entirely possible that the name Mobius was given to Sonic's world by SoA due to the loops and twists in the Zones. But it was in use long before this interview, and to think that SoA would base their canon on an interview is a silly notion, anyway.

Now for why Yuji Naka said Mobius.

First, there is no proof he ever did. Many interviews with Japanese game developers are conducted through a translator, who could easily have said Mobius for the Americans' benefit. Furthermore, even if there was no translator and Yuji Naka was speaking English (which there is, to my knowledge, no evidence for), he could have used the word himself, knowing that he was speaking for an American publication. We must bear in mind that Sonic 2 was developed in Palo Alto, California, and his American colleagues perhaps used the name Mobius on a daily basis during development. It would not be hard for Yuji to employ the name himself, without believing it to be Sonic's home at the end of the day.

As for the whole "translation error" idea, that he was referring to the corkscrews in Emerald Hill, is certainly possible. But it is not probable. Read the interview. Yuji Naka is not vague or ambiguous in any way throughout. The language used is clear, informative, and precise. Furthermore, the quote itself ("...the new Mobius worlds are brighter, crisper, and much more detailed") is crystal-clear as well. To assume that somehow a reference to an object can be construed into a sentence of that nature reminds me of Bible interpretation. Read with no bias, you'd have a hard time believing that sentence in any way referred to a corkscrew in the first zone. I have a theory that, since a screenshot of the corkscrew is featured prominently on the page with the interview, a strong subconscious connexion has arisen. Check the caption of the screenshot, however, and you'll see it clearly labeled as a "corkscrew".

Bear in mind that the corkscrews in Emerald Hill bear no legitimate resemblence to a true Mobius strip, either. To claim, as Concept Mobius does, that a Mobius strip was their inspiration, is wild speculation, unwisely stated as if it were fact.

It is possible that this mention of Mobius, perhaps by Yuji Naka's own lips, since it is the only one of its kind, has become a sort of "holy book" to those who wish to establish Mobius firmly as Sonic's home planet in all regions' canon. We know better, of course - Earth is Sonic's home in Japan, and always has been - there is plenty of evidence but I won't take up more space with it here. I really wish people wouldn't distort the truth, make things up, and put words in other people's mouths to support their theories.

I would like to raise your consciousness on this issue, and finally get it resolved. If anyone else feels as strongly as I do about it, let's make sure that the citation link to Concept Mobius is either removed, or clearly labeled as only one person's un-informed, un-researched, opinion. On Wikipedia, and certainly here at Sonic Retro, which I feel is a respected source of information on Sonic.

A healthy Sonic community must challenge the current views, and overturn them when new evidence comes to light. Continuing to repeat, or support, old, unproven claims only takes our attention from new challenges and mysteries that need to be solved. How can our body of knowledge improve, how can we learn, when specious arguments are prominently displayed, un-attended by dissenting viewpoints?

In summation:

A - The corkscrews are not Mobius strips.

B - It is extremely unlikely that a mistranslation occured.

C - Sega of America did not mine an interview from the future for ideas on what to name their planet.

Wake up and smell the hedgehog, people.

(If it's not entirely clear, I'm not trying to imply that anyone here at Sonic Retro believes the "Mobius Fallacy" - I'm simply saying that if it is not combatted, the average person may start to).

So - your opinions?

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    That must be one of those faggots that think that by declaring everything unreliable source they look smart and responsible on the Wikipedia content. Especially because for many other articles I've seen Sonic Retro being used as a reliable source =P

That, and don't forget that Wikipedia still says this:
    I know it's off-topic, but you get the idea, I guess.

EDIT: I should edit that article to add "citation needed" at the end of that paragraph ;P

3. It's not too much of an issue here, but yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine. I don't mind the name being gone, but to say that eight years of western canon is due to a mistranslation... that's pretty annoying when people make that mistake.

4. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    To be fair, and also not really related to the topic at hand, the statement of that wikipedia quote may not be completely invalidated, due to poor question wording and the vagueness of Yasuhara's account.

Trusting the memory of the creator of a near 20 year old game over a trivial detail like a scrapped level name that was not likely referred to as such by the development team for much of its existence over what we've learned through deductive reasoning and tangible evidence is kindof silly. Theres a real possibility Yasuhara himself actually buys into the "Dust Hill == Desert Level" fallacy.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    As I mentioned when such a possibility was brought up in the original thread, the simple truth of the matter is this—if you cannot trust the memory of the man who conceptualized the level and practically the entirety of the first three Sonic games in pretty much every way imaginable, then there is nobody you can go to for the answer to that question. Believe it or not, but that's the best answer we will ever have to that entire debacle—period.

With that said, back on topic, please.

6. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I'll just add that Chris Senn told me that Yasuhara was very sure of what he said - exactly the opposite of what happened with Brenda Ross =P Also Yasuhara wasn't attacked by lots of e-mails at the same time. In fact, I don't even know his address :v:

Yeah =P

Actually, didn't the word Mobius already exist before Sonic? As in, there was some actual meaning behind it. Maybe it's just my memory being fail, but whatever =S

7. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    While I agree with this statement, there is actually another possibility that WOULD unquestionably solve this whole debacle. Some sort of material evidence, whether it be physical design documents or otherwise that directly refers to the Desert Zone as Dust Hill is what we require to undoubtedly solve this mystery.

Back on topic though, I never considered the possibility of this, as it's so easy to fall into misinformation. It'd make sense though, as at the time we've seen that there were quite a few documents drafting up Sonic's official canon that elements of were used in the creation of the US continuity. It's possible, as the team was all in America by this time, that Yuji was actually in on the whole continuity.

8. It's a name of a mathematician, August Möbius, most famously known for the Möbius Strip.

9. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I have virtually no experience on this subject, so correct me if I'm wrong:

When I look at disassembly code, it seems to be full of object and routine names that are in English. Where do these names come from? Are they embedded in the ROM somewhere, or does the disassembler have to rename everything themselves?

Anyway, if the object names are somehow in the ROM, then it would be interesting to look at the code for the corkscrews in Emerald Hill and see what they're called. That would help us know how they were referred to during development.

I assume Yuji programmed most of the game himself. If there were something like ObjMobiusStrip somewhere in the code, that might tip the case one way or another.

Just a long shot. Does anyone know?

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Whoever disassembles it has to rename all the labels him/herself. Unless the program was built in debug mode, but of course that isn't the case of the old Sonic games =P

EDIT: and even then, programmers normally name everything in English in their programs, mostly because the language itself is in English as well. Even if there is no real reason for. I doubt there's anything called Mobius in Sonic 1's original code, though...

11. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

"For another, Sonic has to run through more levels...many more than in ''Sonic 1''. Also, the new Mobius worlds are brighter, crisper, and much more detailed."

He's obviously talking about the levels, not the world itself, he's talking in plural. And even it wasn't added or mistranslated and he said the word there, he applied it wrong, so he probably thinks a "Mobius" is any kind of path that twists around, like corkscrews, tubes in CPZ, curves or loops, and that's what the majority of levels do in Sonic 2, so he would call them that. Only that makes sense, because he's talking about each zone, not the overworld.

He'd never use the concept as the planet either, especially how anal about things being done as we wants like he is. Calling it Earth and not Monius even though humans frolick around in SA and SA2 pretty much seals the deal as well. If they managed to squeeze Robotnik there but not Mobius, it shows exacly what they want the planet to be, Earth in an alternative dimension. it was a SOA concept, it never crossed Naka's mind to call it that so the only things to conclude is he never mentioned it, was a mistranlation or used the word wrong. SA and SA2 prove it.

12. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    More likely referring to the world as Mobius. If levels there are referred to as worlds, it sounds a bit similar to old Sci-fi shows where aliens would refer to our "Earth(ling) countries" and whatnot.

That's my interpretation, anyway

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Then why would he say world instead of worlds, if he was refering to the planet? Makes no sense to me.

14. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    In ye olden days, it was quite common to call levels in a video game, "worlds". So he's saying, "Mobius worlds", in the same way you'd say "Mushroom Kingdom worlds" if you were talking about Mario.

Remember, we have no proof Yuji even said these words. Interviews are commonly conducted via a translator, as I mentioned.

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I see.

I just don't see Naka of all people aligning himself with that. He was pretty stubborn with Earth in SA and SA2 if he really knew about it.

16. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    the april/may 1991 issue of sega visions make no mention of mobius.
    green hill and marble zone are mentioned.
    the general game principals are outlined - im saying that at the time of this publication the name mobius was not solidified. imo the decision to make the games environment "not earth" was realized by calling it mobius.

robotnik is only described as "an evil scientist" so at that time that wasnt solidified.

character data direct from the horses mouth wasnt delivered until sega visions august/september 1992 issue where yuji naka waxes poetic about history and looks to release of sonic 2.

re: that

naka: we wanted one of the characters in the game to be egg-shaped, so we created robotnik...

true they created the character but that character was called "egg man" not robotnik.

anyhoo. im looking for some older magazines now...

17. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    The Sega Visions interview does say Mobius, and the word is capitalized in the print, suggesting it is being used as a proper noun (a place rather than an object).

It's possible that it was somehow mistranslated, but it's perhaps more possible that Naka knew about the American localization and said "Mobius" because it was an American interview, or that he didn't say anything about Mobius at all and the interview itself was intentionally "localized" by the magazine editors.

But yeah, the whole notion that Sega of America based their localization on 'mistranslated Yuji Naka interviews' is rather ridiculous. I don't know who started that rumor or why, although Concept: Mobius seems to have popularized it. Either way, the Sonic Bible and the Promo Comic prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was not the case.

I gave up on the Sonic Wikipedia entry a long time ago...

18. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Here's something rather interesting:

This is from Sega Force, July 1992, talking about Sonic 2 as it was premiered at the CES that year on May 28th. From what is said about it, it sounds like the build that was shown off was the Alpha (just Emerald Hill, with Starlight's BGM), or very similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(full scan)

We can be pretty certain that this guy is referring to the corkscrew.

And this:

[​IMG]

(full scan)

Here's a bit of a new theory: Maybe, instead of the obstacle name being applied to the whole planet, it's the exact opposite. The Sega Force guy could have heard Mobius said at the show floor and tied it with the corkscrew. I know how confused things can get in the aftermath of a show like CES or E3.

Either way, what's with that sketch? If we didn't have the Alpha build, I'd almost say "lost object"...

It will interesting to see what conclusions can be drawn from this.

I remade the edit, and explained myself a little better, and it's stuck this time, thanks to Haipa Doragon at Wiki.

EDIT: What Dean points out is wise - Yuji (or the translator) said Robotnik instead of Eggman, so why not Mobius?

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sounds to me that the interview was indeed localized, so we may never know what Naka really said.

I really doubt he'd say Robotnik instead of Eggman.

20. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Well, remember, there was that Naka interview on Sonic Channel where he says Eggman's real name was always Robotnik, so it sounds like he's used to playing to the American audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.