don't click here

The Lost World Jurassic Park Trespasser beta leaked.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Glisp, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Hey, remember that one supposedly revolutionary Jurassic Park game developed for PC by Dreamworks Interactive and EA games back in 1998? It was supposed to be the first Physics based game. It was called The Lost World Jurassic Park: Trespasser. The game was worked on by Seamus Blackley and a host of other possibly familiar faces.
    The game was planned to have an advanced dinosaur AI so complex that it had feelings. The dinosaurs also did not have animations. All of their movements were done on their own because the dinosaurs "thought about it". The complex sound system known as "real-time folly" was able to play the sound of any two objects colliding with each other and vary the ptich according to the speed at which they collided.

Sadly though, due to time constraints the game was released unfinished. Most features were either broken, unpolished or abandoned completely. the game was intended to be released on the same day the Second Jurassic Park Movie came to VHS and DVD and it did so unfinished.

The game was one of the biggest let downs and is perhaps deemed as one of the worst games of all time. Had the time constraints not have been an issue and the game was finished, Trespasser may have went on to winning game of the year and becoming one of best games of all time. Sadly it was not to be.

The game was actually quite advanced for its time despite all of the issues that ultimately hurt it. Water was amazingly life like. Even creating ripples whenever and object was dropped or thrown into it. You also controlled all of the action with the character's arm.

Enough about that though. Quite recently, a beta was obtained and leaked onto the internet. It is beta build #96 and includes a long lost level known as Pine Valley. Pine Valley is to the Trespasser community what Hidden Palace zone is to us. While remnants of textures for this level made it into the final build of the game for this level, the level itself was deemed too buggy and scrapped. Quite sad too as there were quite a few interesting quirks and new features to be found.

Also the elimination of this level made the grand total of this game's T-Rex population go from 7 to 6. Despite this, in the final version hammond says that 7 were made.

You can get the beta here if you wish to do so:

http://s169935060.websitehome.co.uk/Trespasser_96.rar

For more information on Trespasser, look it up on the web somewhere.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I recall hearing about this! Ah, the game where all your character is is a pair of boobs and an arm, and you check your health by looking at said boobs.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    That's awesome, my girlfriend owns this game and she was telling me it was a damn good game. Nice find btw. ^^

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Ok, let's say hypothetically this game was finished. Most of this game's cut features don't really affect the player all that much. Had you played as a Dinosaur amongst all this, now that would be interesting.

5. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    The following are screenshots of the game using the fan made ATX patch which fixes some glitchiness, lowers the amount of sprite popping at the price of framerate, gives resolutions over 800x600, grants Raptors jumping abilities (and other dinosaurs if you really want to.) to the game and can even be programmed to use special settings for your custom Trespasser levels (and yes, almost all of them are of me butchering dead dinosaur corpses in different ways):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What are you talking about? If everything they promised was implemented like they originally intended it would have been a much better game. The game had potential to be great but the cut features and poorly implemented ones just made it terrible.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The only features I know of that were cut wholesale were the real time ecosystem and seamless aspects of the game. But the point is that playing as a dinosaur seems like a much better was to take advantage of the cut features than playing as a human could.

The real time foly engine is something I'm surprised hasn't be revisited. It seems like the kind of thing Valve would make eventually.

8. Glisp

Glisp

Bloomington, IN
    I'm very disappointed in the collision and draw distance mainly. The game was playable if you saw beyond those but due to the box system the game used objects had a tendency to get stuck inside one another. Even Anne, the main character had this issue with in game objects. When you didn't get stuck in something you usually pushed it out of the way due to the collision boxes retracting from one another. This makes stacking things such as crates difficult.

The draw distance was so terrible because the game engine had issues with displaying large numbers of polygons on screen. If too many were displayed at one time, the game would slow down and possibly even crash. Another reason why the draw distance was heavily toned down was because most computers at the time had issues running the game at good speeds in Primary Display Driver mode

The dinosaurs controlling their own movements was flawed, as often they'd contort into odd and unusual shapes sort of like the picture above. I find it actually hilarious. The dinosaur feelings were disabled in the retail version of the game because they had a habit of having abrupt modd swings causing them to display more than one emotion at a time which caused them to freeze in one spot. To fix this, the devs simply made all of the retail Dinosaur's anger and hunger to the maximum. This fixed the problem but also made the dinosaur's goals more simplistic as well as covering up the work the development team had done. However, the other feelings still exist in the game's T-script.