don't click here

The letter boxes, and why they are good?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LOst, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You have seen them before, but you never really think about them, except when you're running through a past level of Quartz Quadrant, Sonic CD.

This is from Sonic Jam:
    [​IMG]

It looks different if you compare it to a screen shot from an emulator like Gens or Xega. This border you see around the main screen is called a letter box. A letter box is not part of the main screen, but it's the area where nothing is drawn. Gens have this area, but it's black all the time. On the real hardware the letter box gets the color of palette index 0. On the Sega license screen on Sonic 1, this color in white, so the whole screen goes white except for the Sega logo.

Now, an emulators job is to emulate the real thing, so I had to add it into my Gens version. And it makes a difference while playing a level like Chemical Plant, when you go into the water.

Look at the screen shots and enjoy the real thing:
    [​IMG]

Better love letter boxes :D

2. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Very nice. Just wondering, but are you planning on releaseing this version (with the new GUI) anytime soon? It sounds really cool.

3. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    In a week or so. I'm planningon adding so much things right now, like active object modulation.

And I can't wait too long. I must tell Stef what I'm doing with his master work. I must have a good version before I can give it out. I only have free time during weekends, so...

4. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    :blink: Who's stef? :blink:

I remember a guy named stef off an RPG I play;]

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    A good programmer, and when I say good, I mean it.

He helped me to win $100 back in 2002, thanks to his programming skills :D

Good times *smiles*

6. yes that would be really cool...geeze ur so smart

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    O.O

Then you should see me in real life. I'm the biggest looser (J/K)

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.