don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Yeah, as far as I recall those were the major points. Enemies of Knuckles' ancestors who use advanced technology are thrown into a perpetual-twilight other dimension where they plan their return and revenge, growing their roman-named army and using robot soldiers, with an albino echidna being of major importance to them. A female soldier, who is also of major importance to them, defects to the other side once she knows Knuckles.

2. Hukos

Hukos

The thing that always bothered me with the Brotherhood/Dark Legion business in the comic was "Yeah, okay, it's some nice world-building to give the Floating Island some importance." But why the fuck aren't the Brotherhood helping out against Robotnik when they have some of the best technology in the world and could easily counter him?

Because that either means that the Brotherhood are a bunch of assholes who refuse to help anyone but themselves, or they're a bunch of pussies that don't want to deal with Robotnik and are content with letting him destroy their planet.

3. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

The guardians didn't care because they had their little floating island to isolate them from everything happening on the surface. They wouldn't care until they all died from the pollution and toxins that the factories were producing.

Sally did approach them once to gain their support when "Eggman" returned and they suggested nuclear warfare if I recall. She refused to go through with it because of the use of weaponry or the damage to the environment it would cause, and they dismissed her without a second thought... Yeah, think about that one for a bit and get back to me.

4. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Reading about this just makes me feel bad for Ken.

I mean, he HAS to know there's no way he comes out of this without being stuck in debt for the rest of his life, even if he were to win these characters back. Who'd wanna read about them?

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because the Brotherhood would have been another Ancient Walkers?

6. Your question can be answered with another question. Why doesn't America get involved with Country X's disputes? Why DOES America get involved with Country Y's disputes? It's all a matter of "whats in it for us?" The Brotherhood doesn't need to fight against Robotnik because they have the floating island which is itself it's own isolated country that works well on its own. When America gets involved with other country's disputes it's either for resources, keeping up alliances, or because they don't want small problems to become big problems.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    What I think it really boils down to is a family immensely steeped in tradition. They stick to their guns simply because that's what has always been asked of them. The Brotherhood is very short-sighted in this regard. I don't remember which issue it was (pretty sure it was in the 150's or 160's, though) where Knuckles and Locke actually get in an argument about this, and that's what it boiled down to. Knuckles told Locke that he had taught him to look at all sides of a situation and that the head-on way was not always the right way; he wanted to deal with Robotnik—the bigger problem-- while Locke chose to remain rooted in his traditional position—totally reactionary, entering the fray only when the Floating Island or the Master Emerald were in direct danger.

8. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I can't see a version of this where Ken "wins" in the end. Either he loses (likely), or he'll produce an indie comic that'll die after 3 issues.

....And then blame Archie, probably.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What Ken fails to realise is outside maybe a tiny handful of his forum posters no-one gives two shits about his army of Knuckles recolours. Most that do, do so entirely because of the Sonic connection. Remove that... and he has nothing.

10. Quarterman

Quarterman

That's the thing though. He was on Sonic SO long that he probably considers himself the best writer out there, and that everyone loves him. He will try to launch the recolor comic. Probably several times. Hell, I kinda sense yet more lawsuits from him as shit unravels, suing other publishers for instance when his comics fail.

11. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    No, he has something.

He has a huge legal fee that he'll never pay off.

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

I think that, at least on some level, he realizes it. But it's just that his thought is that even if he sells 5 copies, he makes a profit. But then again...

This. Even with a success in the case, he still has lawyers to pay. And since he's been using them for three years here, that's a lot to pay.

13. Quarterman

Quarterman

Unless he demands Archie pays for his attorney's fees. Which he'd never, ever get.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.kenpenders.com/

How does this fuckface keep winning?! what the serious hell?!?!

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    How do we know he "won"? All that says is the legal shenanigans are over.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    In some aspect he won, somehow an agreement was made because hes still going through with his crap fancomic. so we can't assume SEGA groundpounded him like we thought they were going to do.

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

All of the Penders Panic I'm seeing around today is just making me roll my eyes. People are acting all over the place like this means everything suddenly became horrible out of nowhere.

Ken saying it's over just means one of two things. Either there was a joint ownership agreement for the characters (unlikely, but Ken's comment about having no say over what Archie does with them makes it vaugely possible), or the settlement happened as expected and nothing's different from how it's been for the last six months, in which case there's no reason to act like anything got worse.

Since no one quoted it yet, the Ken comment about the characters:
    [quotename='Ken Penders']While Hershey and Geoffrey will appear in The Lara-Su Chronicles, any future appearances in the ACP Sonic series is a matter of internal ACP business, over which I have no say or comment on.[/quote]
    It's possible saying he has no say over it means there's joint ownership now, but it's probably just more of the usual "They can use them if they pay me, so blame them!" he's been spouting off for a while now.

Short version: Nothing got suddenly worse as far as we know. Don't panic.

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Win or lose, nothing of value is lost. If Flynn can use St. John, Hershey and the Echidnas, great, go for it. If not, he has already affirmed himself being able to tell great stories regardless of who he is given. If anything, reducing a cast is beneficial in that characters will be forced to take on many facets, allowing for deeper development of the characters.

As for Penders, I have no problem with him going on in his little world because it doesn't effect me whatsoever. There is no audience for the Lara Su Chronicles, and what he does with those characters will not effect the quality of the Archie comics.

Actually, I think that if anything, Penders sharing the fact he's continuing his plans is a good thing. That means Sega isn't antsy about keeping the license out there, meaning more likely than not, Archie will be able to continue doing their own thing. And with that, balance is reached.

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Balance is not something that should have been attained in this case.

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Well, if this means both comics can use "his" characters. all the better. But after this, his comic has to stand on it's own. and it's out there that will determine his true success of failure, unlike what I hoped with Sega (though I suppose they came to an agreement due to financial reasons.)