don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Gotta love the purple one with the parrot feathers on his head.

Seeing that reminds me of this gem from the Moment of Archie Sonic Tumblr, which is a treasure trove of bad Penders (and other Archie artists') artwork.
    [​IMG]

Did anyone actually care about this stuff back when it was new?

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    To be honest, when I was a kid, I was interested in learning about the ancestors that came before Knuckles and learning about how the hell he ended up being the guardian. That's a plot element I still don't really mind and I don't blame Penders for exploring it.

He just went way, way too far with the concept, and took it in the worst possible direction.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That panel is correct, things did grow more convoluted overtime.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I kind of love Knuckles' expressions on this page. The doughy muzzle suits him. Who was that artist?

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

So...I'm guessing you read the comics where Knuckles became green or whatever and was resurrected?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yes I read those back in the day when I subscribed to the series.

It just kept getting worse and worse. Like the tumor on his brain was growing or something.

7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Penders didn't go batshit crazy until Sonic Adventure shit on everything he had set up.

I'll bet everything after that was just him giving SEGA and Archie the finger. Especially the last few issues of his run, which are debatably some of the worst in series history.

[inlinespoiler]DESTINY[/inlinespoiler]

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    How can you NOT go with Geordi La Not Knuckles?

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It's not like SEGA exactly had a set in stone continuity for the series. Hell its not like they do NOW.

Miscommunication on SEGAs part was and is the root of their franchise(s?) having no cohesion in any form, but I think Penders having a bit too much pride in what he made--a licensed comic book for a western adaptation of a japanese property--was a bit... misplaced, I spose, especially if the whole time throughout he thought himself to be officially giving life to a character that had no defined personality to begin with.

Thats probably the root of all this, resentment at the "value" of his work being effectively thrown out on a whim for someone else's ideas, yet his work still gets reprinted. Its just... i really don't think he understands the difference between writing for his own stories and writing for a licensed property.

10. Tylinos

Tylinos

Titan Tails and his over-buff DESTINY was not a Ken Penders story. That was Romy Chacon.

Ken did write the other story in that issue, however, where Evil Sonic made out with Bunnie.

11. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    [​IMG]
    This - issue 26 - was one of the few issues (#26-28) drawn by Chris Allan. I couldn't find that much about him, other than the fact that he was penciller for Archie's Sonic and Knuckles comics for a very brief time. After #29 (drawn by former SatAM animator Art Mawhinney) Penders took over, and the artwork - for non-human characters, because Penders could only really draw humans well - got much worse:

[​IMG]

...seriously, what is happening to Knuckles' "dreadlocks" in that panel?

12. Sapphire

Sapphire

It's like boo! Member
    [​IMG]

I just really wanted to make sure everyone saw this glorious tweet before this most recent news dies down.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/760961447002202112

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Unlike Hillary Clinton, I don't want to know what he talks about in his private emails.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's it. I took the bait. I had to call him out for his shit. I hope he responds. FUCK I HATE THIS MAN

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    The comics are gonna get cancelled at this rate, aren't they?

16. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Which comics? The Lara Su Chronicles? I don't think that'd be any great loss. I started a Webcomic on Monday and I feel like I've already made more progress than Ken has in the last 2-3 years.

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Nah, the Archie comics. Didn't Sega say they weren't going to renew the license if they couldn't sort their shit with Penders out?

It'd be a dream come true if the Lara Su Chronicles were canned.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Huh? you mean the current lawsuit? that isn't Penders bro, its one of his co-workers who got a bug up his butt and decided to do the same thing.

19. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I know that, it's just that it's started to feel like Penders is planning on doing something again. The guy is pretty much a confirmed attention seeker at this point.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Maybe its just me, but I kind of want to see that train-wreck fully come to fruition.