don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I don't even have the words for this anymore. It just keeps getting worse every time this topic gets updated with something new.

Ahaha, seriously? That's crazy - but I'd believe it. Nothing really surprises me anymore when it comes to this complete and utter farce.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I think I've hit Ken Penders burnout. Nothing shocks me anymore and I doubt anything will unless this thing actually launches.

3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I'm laughing more at everyone's reactions to this than I am at the "image" itself. Nothing this guy does surprises me anymore, but it's still entertaining to watch this trainwreck.

4. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I suppose it's time to update the topic description.

I wonder to what extent this trend will continue... It's easy justify everything with "Alien stuff"...

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    His love of dodge & burn is derived from alien camouflage systems. His clipart backgrounds stem from an alien "environmental familiarity engine".

Naturally.

6. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    This is what kills me the most. I'm a fairly amateur artist myself, and I still make lots of mistakes. Seeing Penders, who's been doing this crap for approximately as long as I've been alive continue making the same kind of mistakes I overcame less then a year ago....

I just wanna scream "Did you even take color theory!? Do you even know what saturation means!?"

7. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    OH LOOK, THERE'S MORE.

[​IMG]

Classic Penders terribad artwork. I think he's actually getting worse.

Oh, and a certain someone's tail isn't even shaded properly. And that's not even the worst of the countless obvious problems with this disaster. Including possible plagarism, because I'm pretty sure that Knuckles art is directly copied from an Archie comic, and likely not art he even drew previously.

8. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Raise your hand if you thought the part of the chair in between the guy's legs was something else

also the characters look like they were cropped off a white background and pasted in, white pixels and all

EDIT: He posted a French translation as well... for whatever reason. Apparently it's riddled with typos even though he claims 'a Parisian' translated it for him.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Wow, an actual page. More than I expected to see in a long, long time.

Yes, that is from an Archie comic, but that actually is Penders artwork. Still questionable in terms of legal use, but at least it's his artwork, depending on if he did all aspects of it. I imagine he did the pencils and inks, but I don't remember from that particular issue if he did the coloring.

EDIT: Quick google search. No, he did not do the coloring for that panel, that was done by a guy named Jason Jensen. In that regard, he is in fact stealing artwork, technically, unless he paid him.

10. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Well, that explains why the Knuckles picture is the only part of the page that's nicely coloured/shaded...

I've just noticed it even has the original Knuckles hat, as opposed to the Not-Knuckles one with the different symbols on it. Isn't that in itself is some kind of plagarism because, y'know, that hat design is originally from the Sonic OVA?

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I know that this first page is bad in the visual department (as stated above). But I've already noticed an inconsistency in the writing.

When "Ensign Brownie" makes her presence known, she says, "I'm looking for Commander St. John.", implying she doesn't know who he is.
    Then, after he says something, she says, "I was given this-- --and told it was for your eyes only".

Uh, no. Nowhere is it made clear that he confirms himself as Commander St. John. She just assumes based on what is said to her. It doesn't make any sense any already stinks of bad writing.

And yes, I did have to double take on the chair he's sitting in. There's so many other art inconsistencies and shoddy work, and this is just the first page. I don't even know what to say.

12. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    Nice copy paste jobbo on Geoff's head there. Looks like he lifted it from one of the old comics and redrew the eyes for whatever reason. Just look a the line thickness and lack of a neck.

13. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

Wow. Even with all the heaps of shading he's pouring onto this mess, it still looks flat.

The holograms are super obstructive, and they kill any visual interest in the character's faces. St.John doesn't look at all like he's leaning over the edge of a chair. He looks like he's in some sort of harness, because Penders has no clue how to do depth or foreshortening. Of course, given his overall lack of perspective in his other pieces....

And those eyes! Those soul-sucking eyes! And look at the tail of the dog! He didn't even bother to shade it! These are first-timer mistakes, Penders! First-timer!

14. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I think I found the radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL6oQdNzLg

After having a pretty off week, I really needed the hysterical laughter Ken's shenanigans provided me with. :v:

15. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Oh lawd that be some bad word balloon ordering. Also, LOL at him using a picture of future Knuckles directly from the comic.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

I was convinced it was a scanlation. Balloons go left-to-right in English, Ken.

17. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Oh wow, reading that page makes my head hurt. There is just so much wrong with it, I don't even know where to start. The dialogue is very terrible, the word placing in the bubbles is bad, the bubble placement is bad, the coloring is bad, character designs are bad, that logo for 'the storm' is terrible, and whats that green thing between the skunk's leg?

1/10, would not purchase.

Does Ken make money back out of this stuff?

18. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

He must have created a machine that can transform mockery into money. It's the only explanation.

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

The only thing I can think of is maybe he got some settlement money from the court case, though with how much I imagine he spent on legal expenses, I have a hard time believing he broke even.

Maybe he has some alternative incomes...? I haven't heard of him working on any other official titles in years, and I doubt publishers would touch him with a 10-foot pole after the insanity that was the legal battle.

20. Nova

Nova

DODGE AND BURN

MORE LIKE

CRASH AND BURN

HA HA