don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    If I recall, they're Penders' niece and nephew? Some family relation, I believe.

2. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Wow, Sonic on a hoverboard, I'm surprised Ken didn't try to sue Sega over Sonic Riders, and what does Armageddon have to do with hoverboards? Even the title is overblown and reeks of bad fanfic lol

Pennnnderrrrrs! *shakes fist*

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's..... there's no way this can be real. As in, something pitched to Sega. Seriously. With the thought it could be funded.

Tell me it's fake, guys. Guys?

4. I'm with Overlord on this one. Please... for crying out loud....please tell me this isn't real. PLEASE!!!

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Are you seriously doubting Panders would pitch this?

It's real. and I reconise those kids. But why weren't they actually using a Genesis in Sonic Live when it looks like they are here?

6. I wasn't doubting the fact that Penders would make this...as this is the kinda shit he would do..but I was hoping that this was all fake. Now to commence placing him deeper in the shit hole than he already is in.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
  8. Tylinos

Tylinos

It was found on Ken's own site along with a related powerpoint presentation. Unfortunately, it looks like they've been since removed by Ken, but some people tried them out a few days ago when they were first linked and confirmed they're legit.

9. After years of speculation on why Sega rejected Ben/Ken's movie comes clear. Holy shit what a trainwreck. Well, my boxset is officially worthless. Worst thing of all, I NEVER requested to have it autographed. It came in the mail like this when the DVDs were first released.

[​IMG]

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So how old is that if Sonic has GREEN EYES? :v:

11. Holy fuck at that pitch. I mean what in the fuck. I honestly don't know Ben Hurst's pitch would have been better. Well, actually, yes I know it would have been better because he was at least a TV writer and not Ken Penders. Subsequently, the security guard at work who is in his 70s would be able to make a better Sonic pitch because he is not Ken Penders

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I spoke with Penders on Sunday at Miami Supercon.

It did not end well. For the record, I found it hilarious that he was placed almost directly across the Freedom Planet booth, which was getting extremely healthy attention all show, and most of the time his booth was...

[​IMG]

He is the Virgil of the Sonic Community, for you wrestling fans out there. Give this hack no attention.

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It's good to know his booth isn't detracting from Freedom Planet's one bit. :v: (I saw pics of their booth on their Facebook page, and it made me want to get a SNES USB adapter to play the game with.) I feel bad that your conversation with him didn't end well, Gene, I was hoping he'd be eager to give his side of the story in all this.

On a random note, it's good to see that the unflattering photo of him from a Sonic news site months ago was simply unflattering. :specialed: He looks like a normal guy in that pic. Not a freak a lot of us were freaking out over.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    To keep a long story short, it was mostly some Mobius 25 Years Later inconsistencies DavidTL brought up when I was pooling for some questions. Admittedly, I wasn't looking for a serious interview like I gave the Freedom Planet guys (post coming soon, once I transcribe it) but being told I was wasting time when clearly there's no on else to occupy the time aside from a few children, strange old men, and some really idiotic fans that somehow like his work unironically (really, I feel it's safe to say the pictures on his twitter is roughly equal to actual number of guests he got across all four days)... yeah, he deserves all the crap he gets and then some. None of those were a factor while I was there.

I offer no impartialness to him. Hope this crashes and burns hard. His wife, who I assume was with him sometimes at the booth, seems very nice though.

15. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think it's safe to say all of us here have the same hope. I'm expecting it to either crash and burn, or crash and burn while suffering eternal infamy, when the most terrible strips are scanned and spread around Tumblr. (Can't wait to see that post, by the way.) Figured she would seem nice. From personal experience, it sounds like lots of deucewagon dudes get nicer wives than they deserved.

16. The best that can be said, from what I gather, is that this series will probably serve as excellent demotivational poster material.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    His booth looks like the bad part of Deviantart set up shop. So pathetic that this guy who thinks he's top shit can't move past his precious enchiladas. And what is he doing with a copy of Sonic Archives?

18. Retroman

Retroman

Reminiscing about the good-ol' days back when he was giving bad art dialogue and a story.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Well, it's what most people know him for. His whole table front featured Sonic Archives and other Archie stuff he worked on so people could buy it and sign it.

The problem is, any story he touched was mostly pretty bad. For those that went on the nightly ride on 4chan not too long ago, his main involvement areas include the Knuckles arc, the Sonic Live comic (which you can see was almost pitched as a movie but thankfully killed), and what is now commonly called "The Dark Ages", or not too long after EndGame to issue 160 (where he was finally booted the hell out of there and Flynn was given the job of cleaning up his diarrhea from the story.)

While I'm not a fan of how the comic is going CURRENTLY (the fish people idea is kind of dumb), I'll still take Flynn's take on the comic. Full disclosure: I'm more interested in the Mega Man comic, especially with the X Series arc going on right now. Bonus points for name-dropping the Chronos Institute. Takes something to acknowledge Mega Man II was a thing.

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

I wouldn't say any story he ever touched after Endgame sucked. As messy as a lot of the backstory he wrote may have got, I was mostly fine with the first 20 issues of the Knuckles comic, and the Father's Day story in 25YL was pretty passable. Green Knuckles and most of 25YL were shit, but a lot of the actual "Dark Ages" of the comic were written by Karl Bollers.

That's nothing. We've already had two cameos from [inlinespoiler]Quint via time travel, complete with his silly pogo-jackhammer[/inlinespoiler].

It really is a fun series. Anyone who hasn't given it a shot yet should check it out.