THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: Geoffrey cucked Sonic t. Penders, 2019

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Astolfo will never be your BF Member
    Beaverton OR
    Thinga Comic
    I think it's more a question of how much SEGA would notice if someone else were to do this. SEGA barely showed any interest in the Archie/Chronicles concepts before the lawsuits, I think people overrate how different things would be on the game side of things if they'd never happened.

This is also assuming Penders doesn't have some sort of weird legal contingency plan to get someone else to pursue a suit if people try to use "his" characters posthumously. I don't know if that's really a thing or not, but if it is, it wouldn't surprise me if he did it.

2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ah yes, Mecha Madness... loved the cover art for that special. Spaz's artwork was great too, but I don't know what the hell they were thinking having Manak do the court martial story afterwards. No offense to the guy but to go from Spaz's awesome artwork to Manak's more silly/laid-back artwork for the last part of a rather serious arc was just... :psyduck:

Also, anyone else find it odd how there were two stories about Sonic being falsely accused of crimes within a year of each other? Can we file that under Penders being unoriginal or an accidental coincidence? Or maybe he really didn't like Sonic's character that much lol.

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

Frog blast the vent core! Member
    He can try, but I seriously doubt anyone hates themselves enough to carry that torch. What is there to gain from it? Would they really go out of their way to lose time and money pursuing something likely to end in dismissal? More likely that any rightsholders (probably closest relatives or something) will promptly bury and forget it.

Also, a work doesn't enter public domain until 70 years after the last remaining author dies. Since Ken's "property" was a joint work with others at Archie, that's gonna be a good while. If it's orphaned, it would be indefinitely stuck in legal limbo, unable to be used in any official future works until it hits PD. Moot because SEGA's never touching that content again, and we'd all be dead by that time.

Also, I am not a lawyer and do not have a clue what I am talking about. My armchair is pretty comfy, however.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021