don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Is this why there's a decent amount of 34 of his alleycat appearing on the site in the past few days?

If so, he deserves it. If not, needs more 34!

2. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Is this the Case with Dreams Come True and the music in the first two games?

3. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    It's not what he's doing that's douchy, by itself - it's a little silly from a legal standpoint, but other people inside the comics industry and out have done far weirder (and succeeded), so there's that. The problem is how he's going about it from a personal standpoint - what makes him a douche is that he's, well, being a douche. The weird lack of respect he seems to have for his successor, his veiled tone that comes through in excerpts of his updates and writing on the subject, all of that kind of thing.

4. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    Even so, I found it shocking he had a fanbase so obsessed with these cliches. My taste I suppose, but when I pick up a work by an artist I expect to find creativity, an example being characters with interesting personalities. I guess I was asking too much from the Sonic and Knuckles books.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It seems that they might have licensed their music in that case, which would be a different matter.

6. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Question regarding that though, AOSTH [which came out in 1993] uses a theme derived from DCT's Sonic theme for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, Sonic 3 [released in 1994] used a new theme song and had used it for a long time in the game's development stages. Why didn't/hasn't DCT go after the makers of AOSTH? [sounds stupid I guess, but it has been itching me for a while]

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Interesting point! But I think it was just different enough to avoid a lawsuit, but close enough for us to still recognize at the time.

But I guess by the time 1996 rolled they had figured it out:

Same rhythm, completely different notes. They even removed "The Fly" section(s) from it.

I still miss the original theme and I am somewhat mystified that even Sonic 4 went the route of "New Game, New Theme" syndrome. I wish we had more nostalgic ear candy besides simple sound effects and the Act Clear theme that has been around since Sonic 3.

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Or.... perhaps it's got something to do "anything created with association to the Sonic The Hedgehog brand is owned and copyrighted to Sega Enterprises, Ltd. / Sega Corporation"? This is the same deal with Sonic 3's music. Just look at the copyright info here at the Japanese music database. You don't see Michael Jackson's name attached to it.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Then why did they change the theme music, and why do they need Nakamura's permission whenever they use it?

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Maybe they were sick of it?

Or maybe it's that usually sequels don't always use the same theme music over and over in later games and Sega (or Sonic for that matter) doesn't have a high-profile track record for consistency in music with some exceptions aside, for what I recall. I could really be wrong though.

From what I understand, it's a Japanese honor/respect thing. In Japan, when you use something that another composer did for certain works, even if you actually own the copyrigh...

It's kinda like in MOTHER 2 and MOTHER 3. The original composers for M2 didn't return to do M3, but the development team for M3 had asked M2's composers to use tracks from that game for M3 out of both respect, and consistency.

FUCK, I don't like it when I'm wrong. =P
    [​IMG]

11. I think you meant "Flight of the Bumblebee," but it does still have bits of "In the Hall of the Mountain King."

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps they did have to negotiate with DCT to get their license back? It took a while for them to release the DVDs, after all.

13. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    To me, the Christmas Blast theme sounds the same as the original, except with the instruments and a few notes changed up to be more Christmassy.
    (I never did like that episode, all the characters are so off-model)

14. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    That may be true, except for Princess Sally, who looks like her pose was traced right off a model sheet.

15. Ink

Ink

Homicidal Echidna Oldbie
    Archie's pissed.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    hahahahaha

Damn straight. I approve of this action by Archive, because as the title of this topic says, Ken Penders is a douche.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Assuming this isn't settled out of trial, any one of you Yorkers want to sit in on he trial and report on it?

This assumes you're interested in trials and in this case enough to get notables.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Pardon my idiocy but I don't get it. What is Archie suing Ken for? For attempting to copyright stuff that doesn't belong to him? Can that even work?

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It doesn't, which is why he's going to get squashed flatter than Frozen Roadkill. =P

I still can't believe the idiot was stupid enough to even try this in the first place...

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think you misunderstood me. I'm talking about Archie suing Ken now. Ken being the defendant means he's the one getting sued, right? I can't figure out what Archie is suing him for though.