don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Yeah, his art truly screams for bootleg bullshit, instead of something that should be even considered official comic titles or anything close to that.

From the looks of it, he seems to have stolen the background scenario as well. Part of it just has gradient pasted over it, and just poorly hue changed desert/clouds photos. And don't even get me on that amateur-ish motion blur and the "flying" pose, that's shit you see on flyer announcements meant for little kids, not a professional comic.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    His artwork has always been strange, but it seems like it has actively gotten worse over the years instead of better. Guess it goes to show how much the inkers and colorists did to elevate his work.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But it's not him, it's Antho-ni the M'ckie. :P

4. Retroman

Retroman

Anyone else hear Mike Tyson when reading this?

5. See? I told you.

6. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I wouldn't even be surprised if that pose is probably directly traced from a pre-existing source, like of Iron Man or something.
    [​IMG](probably not this, it would require him to draw the lower arms and hands /himself/)
    I mean I know this isn't the most demanding pose, but this is a man who's motto seems to be "how many corners can I cut?"

That page could also really stand to be 3 or 4 frames, but then again, that would require him to draw multiple frames.

7. Retroman

Retroman

They don't call him Iron Mike for nothing.

Please someone photoshop this with actual Mike Tyson lines like "I'll $@*S you till you love me, $#*@@" and such lines likes "Hey Linux Lewis, I'm coming for you Lewis", " My style is? impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious" et all

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If I were you guys I would link this to Mr. Mackie via twitter or something, use these for comparisons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    It looked traced before, but with that GIF, HOLY- No words.

If the guy cares to seriously do anything about it, (I want to assume it would be a quiet copyright style takedown.) we could be in for Penders VS The World: The Sequel.

I seriously wonder how his fan following is holding up in the midst of all this? It can't be a good time for them right now; the first page revealed of this comic, and he's already made another legal blunder.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yeah, that puts it beyond all reasonable doubt for me.

In fact, which one is the drawing again?

11. Retroman

Retroman

I smell a laaaaaaaaaawsuit :v:

12. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    Penders is gonna burn and burn hard!

Though, technically, don't we have to wait for him to actually start selling this abomination before it becomes a legal issue?

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Marvel didn't ask to use Samuel L. Jackson's likeness for Nick Fury in the Ultimate series, Jackson enjoyed it and learned about it later. Let's not be irrationally spiteful here, there is no legal minefield with doing what he's doing with this character. Not to say it's not completely lazy and uncreative in all aspects (seriously, that panel is more of a collage of existing elements than an actual comic panel), but there's little to no legal issue here. There's a reason Lindsay Lohan's lawsuit with Rockstar got thrown out.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I thought it was thrown out because it was outside the New York statute of limitations and games being classified as a work of art and therefore protected as fair use. Also, I don't recall it having been dismissed as of yet, but I don't know anything past last year regarding it. Is there anywhere saying what happened?

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    You could make a case for plagiarism (big surprise) and selling something intended for free (that specific photo of Mr. Mackie's face is meant just to ID him on imdb, and here Penders is featuring it as the focus of a page and capitalizing on it :v:)

16. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Sorry to burst your bubble everybody, but even though Mr. Penders may be using this man as a reference, at best it only bares a resemblance to the original image. For example, I could not get sued because I use an image of an owl that a photographer took, to paint my own owl in another art medium. No person can own the likeness of another living thing, such as an ethnically african man, age 20 - 35. The image can only be said to pass as a similar looking person, there is similarity but its only an approximation, a likeness. Further, in multiple other aspects the image is completely different.

I.e. Did anyone hear Mike Tyson...

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, depending on how bad the thing ends up being, I wonder if there'd be grounds for a libel case?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I hope that Sega/Archie will find some reason to counter-sue upon this release. That loser only has to slip in some way, say, referencing a story he didn't write, or using an image from an Archie comic.

I don't want the old universe back I just want that neck beard to fail.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, the new universe has proven significantly better than the old one. Literally the best thing to come from all of this. Though I wouldn't mind some of the old characters back... -glances at Shard- It's just not the same with Gemerl...

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya Shard, Flynn era Geoffrey St. John, and Mina Mongoose and the Sonic 1 band. Those are the only things from the old universe I'd like to see again (I mean I like what Flynn did with Lin-da and the Dark Legion, but we're never getting those back and there are better things with the new universe anyway).

I love how within the first like 10 issues of Flynn writing the comic he cut so much of the old universe's crap out, like with making the universe have only 7 Chaos Emeralds instead of the amount that was convinient to the story at the time, killing off random characters, and creating the Special Zone