don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Someone else owns Mighty? I thought Sega retained ownership, as a poll conducted a year or two ago included him.

2. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    If someone does, than I'm sure he gets royalties for everything he appears in (mainly the comic). It might be the same situation with Nack.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Actually it might have been Nack; I can't find the post that said that one character's artist had left and taken that character with him but I'm pretty certain it's around here somewhere.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It's disappointing that he's sunk to such lows. As a 9-10 year old kid, I loved the Archie comics, and continued to for years. Yeah, they played out like furry soap operas, but a the time I thought it was cool how deep the stuff was, even if in reality it was pretty convoluted. Started with issue #86, but after #105 or so, I felt like they started to go downhill.

5. I think I've only read 2 of them. That one with Shadow on the cover and whichever one was included in Mega Collection (Sonic the Hedgehog Firsts I think).

Can't say I cared for either of them.

6. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I forgot his name, but he's designed some vinyl toys. Some which look remarkably similar to Nack, so far as saying the characters are weasels and wolves. For that matter, Sega might be worried about using Nack too and it might be the reason hasn't appeared in the games for a very long time. Although Sega probably own what they own. Maybe his designer doesn't get royalties and wanted to keep his character? His toys might be a way of saying, "Nyah, nyah!" to Sega.

7. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
  8. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Behold the monstrosity that is Ken Penders' SONIC LIVE!!
    Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Yep, this is his all time LOW.

9. Quarterman

Quarterman

You just HAD to bring up Sonic Live, didn't you? Christ, that was a horrid comic. Penders at his finest, ladies and gentlemen.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

So Ian has no clue about Penders' contract, if there was one at all, which was what I was really interested in. They're ten years apart, how can Ian be so sure that they are the same? The guy even admits that he's not on the loop of everything.

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I assume Ian concludes the contract's probably the same as it's the standard contract Archie makes with it's writers.

12. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    To qoute a member of 4chan:
    yep, he doesn't have a chance.

13. Yeah, you know you're a conceited fuck when your own children get a guest-piece in the comic you write for.

14. Quarterman

Quarterman

I had forgotten about that little detail. That man may very well be the most arrogant comic book writer in history. Perhaps even more so than Alan Moore.

15. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I'm certain Ken knows about all of this (Sega's ownership of everything). I know it because I heard him say it. I don't think there's anything he and his lawyer can do if the contract is just like Ian's. Imagine if it was a different contract that could favor his side of things. Think of all the writers who've worked for Archie before him and what they would've done. I really wonder what he's trying to pull. Maybe there really is a lack of work on his part, he could be unemployable by this point, and I don't know if his other series are doing too well.

Ken could probably continue his work on Sonic as a fan project and nothing more. But if he were to obtain the rights to his characters he would have to do a lot of rebooting, as Ian said. Although I have a feeling his fans would continue to follow his work, considering they didn't seem interested in the games very much.

16. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I don't have any interest in Archie and until this topic didn't even know who Ken Penders was but this whole situation just seems to be a massive shit storm for the sake of publicity, it's certainly got everyone talking about him and probably his works too. It's unlikely that this is a stunt to raise awareness, if was though it's succeeded. Also I'm sure I read somewhere that all the characters Archie creates automatically belongs to Sega, or at least Sega has a right to use them for their own purposes.

17. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I stopped reading Archie-Sonic somewhere in the 70s... And even back then I thought Ken Penders was one of the shittiest people who worked on the comic.

All I have to say to this is: LOL, desperate for cash much, Kenny?

18. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I can see the sales and interest of his shit leveling up as this spreads.

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The difference is that Alan Moore can produce good comics.

20. Quarterman

Quarterman

Yes, that matter isn't in dispute. If you think about it, it serves to make Penders look worse. Those with maximum arrogance and minimum talent are a bad sort indeed.