don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

There's no way anyone could seriously think that makes it EASIER to pronounce, plus I can't recall anyone ever having issues pronouncing echidna. Sounds more like to me he's desperately trying to find a way of making his army of Originalfanaracter The Echidna be not tied to Sega IP while at the same time not casting aside the only thing that makes his small group of Archie-comic-followers actually interested in his project.

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I know we were asking the guy to be more original, but... Echyd'nya?

If your problem is pronunciation, how is that going to help? This has to be trolling. There's no way he seriously thinks that would work better.
    [/quote]

Sounds like he took a page from Freedom Planet with the alien bit, but didn't take it all the way. Otherwise he could have called them something else, almost anything else, since they look nothing like echidnas. I did that cheesy wordplay stuff too when I was 14, but I learned from it and moved on.

3. Retroman

Retroman

Echyd'nya nya doo doo lara su. Herp derp.

I can imagine a remix of Echyd'nya with nyan cat.

"So, are these Echidnas Ken?"
    "No. It's pronounced "Eeeeeeeechyd'nyah"

It's like in the Anchorman, when Ron Burgundy says 'San Deaaaaagooo'

...If you need me, I'll be in the corner

4. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I'm gonna borrow a Linkara joke here: Because poor literacy is... a dumb excuse to try and distance yourself from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise/universe even though everyone fucking knows that's where and how all this began in the first place. :psyduck:

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Some bros on /v/ have been doing nightly dumps of the comics and are currently in the 60s right now, with some of Knuckles' arc.

Fucking hell, this guy should just stop writing. NO ONE likes the stories but are more compelled to see just how bad the train went off the rails... and we're still only at 68.

What a gigantic hack.

Also, enjoy this little nugget, showing he's been planning this garbage since 1998.

Attached Files:

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Dear lord! Seriously?! fucking seriously?!?!

I had a real bad day today and this shit just made me laugh it all off, god damn Penders if anything you should be a fucking comedian! I'm fucking tearing now its soo damn funny.

7. Falk

Falk

Holy shit the text on those books hahahahaha

If I didn't know better I would have sworn this was originally in another language and hobbyist translators are responsible for essentially pasting text over it, perspective be damned.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Were cutting ties with our past because of you fucker!!

God I hate that man.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Last week: "The Lara-Su Chronicles embraces its history."

This week: Lara-Su's an alien now.

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Penders is an idiot with no talent or originality, and he presents himself to the public in a foolish way by showing these horrible ideas that nobody likes. I find it amusing.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I find it ironic that he spent years and unprecedented amounts of cash to obtain the rights to do what he wants with the characters, then just completely alters everything about them to the point that they are unrecognizable. What was the point? To get royalties from Archie for using the characters that they obviously would not continue to use in such a situation?

So basically, Archie's not using the characters, Penders is not using the characters, a butt-load of cash was wasted, and, most grievously of all, Sega's relationship with Archie was hit with irreparable damage leading to Flynn getting his hands tied and being forced to abandon the entirety of his future story plans.

All so Penders owned the characters no one actually will use, technically. Penders acted selfishly for what in the end amounts to nothing. It overshadows the hilarity of the terrible decisions he's making. It's pathetic. Few creatives have ever lost more of my respect than Ken Penders.

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    You know, if they are from space, why even call them Echyd'nya?

Here's an Thought, why not call them something entirely original and say "Because they look similar, they are mistaken for Mobius Echinas" He's worked on startrek right, it'd be the same as a Trill being mistaken for Human, or a Vulcan with a headband. But no, lets call them Echyd'nya, that'll distance him from the problem.

The more I hear, them more I want to have an actually discussion with this guy, just to try and grasp his thought processes.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This fucking situation.

[​IMG]

14. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

So by his logic, can Archie just have a character related to Knuckles called Lyra-Z'uu, and be done with it? :P

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Oh god, I'd love if Ian did it in an Off-Panel or something, just to take the piss.

16. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't they remind you of characters Ken claimed ?

17. Tylinos

Tylinos

No, not really. There's one who looks vaguely like Hershey, but that's it. There's also one who looks vaguely like Woody Woodpecker.

18. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    The black and white female in the first one reminds me a lot of Geoffrey.
    I wouldn't be surprised if, at the time of his creation, they took references from SatAM background characters (and we know Archie had them, most appeared in the comics) or even recycled one.

19. I can't speak for Archie or SEGA because I don't work for either and even if I did I'm not an executive, but I got very close ties with people at Archie and I'll tell you that their partnership with SEGA is stronger than ever and this is just a bump in the road. I don't have any juicy inside dirt or anything, but basically before this whole mess with Penders started Sega were telling Archie they wanted to take the comics closer to the games and try to make the stories more about the core video game characters rather than the archie characters. They know and understand that the Archie characters are fan favorites and they're a big selling point, but they also want to keep in mind that this is a comic meant to support the brand and they want that brand image to stay consistent across the board. The plan was to finish up whatever stories were already in progress and tie up loose ends then quietly transition to a more game-like comic, while still acknwoledging the history of the comics and involving those characters, but focusing on settings/characters/situations that exist in the games. I don't know any specifics, but I know this is why Sega has been asking them not to use characters from AoStH, Underground, and the OVA. It's more of a "let's not reintroduce older characters that'll be hard to phase out later". But really, the Penders incident didn't have much of an effect on the relationship between Archie and SEGA.

Again, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I don't know all the facts, and I can't speak for either company, but this is what I was told.

20. Retroman

Retroman

:rolleyes:
    Archie is weak. Why not use his characters and let him suffer?

These lawsuits are a waste of time. Just give him money, and tell him to bugger off.