don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah that's been covered like all over the internet already to an almost shocking degree. Didn't think Arthur would have a pull like that but I've seen article after article about it. Don't get me wrong I think that's great, just almost wish it wasn't such huge news because I'd love for that kind of thing to be more normal in the mainstream. Maybe one day.

2. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Never gonna happen but that's a long conversation in and of itself. I still don't see the point (aside from tax benefits) given half of marriages (straight or otherwise) end in divorce. I'd say the Loud House handled a gay couple better in that they are just in the background, never acknowledged and are treated as a normal part of life.

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The Loud House is for older kids than Arthur, though. Arthur is, in most ways, an educational show, and it's good for kids to learn this sort of thing when so many parents are still unwilling to teach it to them.

4. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I would sacrifice a limb just to hear Roger Craig Smith try to dub this page with a straight face, whilst trying to keep Sonic's core personality in tact.

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    If I'm being honest I noticed that artwork first before I even noticed the words. nothing says drama like making super deformed horrifying cry faces.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's just Jon Gray's style, very wacky and cartoony. He just had the misfortune of drawing out said schlock.

7. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I think this was his debut in the Archie series, too. I remember being on another Sonic forum at the time when scans from this issue popped up, and literally everyone was kissing his ass talking about how amazing his art was (did I mention he was a mod on this forum?). I didn't say anything at the time, because I was afraid of being crucified for not liking it.

Being older and a bit wiser now, I've come to appreciate his style more, but he was the wrong choice for this story. What were they thinking?

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

I just noticed the Drano cookies. Um.

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    lmao

Drano Cookies were one of the legacy memes on The GHZ, where Jonathan Gray was a staffer. It predated me joining in 2004 so I don't get it either, but still incredible that he got it canonized like this. I really wanted to collect all of (site owner) Green Gibbon!'s letters to the editor while I was reading through the comics two years ago so I could dump them on the forum and put his child self on blast- he wrote in multiple times- but I mostly lost interest interest when it became totally clear that he was never going to come out of his mystery retirement for anything, not even Mania.

That place was so much cooler than Retro. I miss those people.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Oh shit, I forgot about the whole drank cookies thing! TGHZ ruled. It was much more chill than any of the other major sites, and it introduced me to the artists of Mecha Fetus which I became a big fan of. It and Cult were my go-to Sonic message boards back when I was a teenager. I checked my post history though (I went by Plorpus III) and it seems like most of it was just me being a giant douchebag... Stuff like a post telling someone being an obnoxious weeaboo to “die in a fire desu.” Ah well.

Anyway that Jon Gray art on the previous page is indeed pretty dire, style or no. He's a cool dude and all but Jesus Christ those mouths.

11. Zingela

Zingela

IL
    If it's the same forum I'm thinking of (SonicHQ?), it helps to remember that a lot of posters there were long time friends/internet acquaintances generally just excited that Jon made it into an official publication.

There's also a ton more silly injokes hidden in that issue, haha.

12. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    I was thinking the Sonic Foundation myself. Think he was a mod there too. Probably the only one I didn't pick a fight with at some point to be honest... :p

13. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yeah it was Sonic Foundation. It is true that he was friends with many of the people on there and Sonic HQ, and I get that they were excited for his art to be in the comic. I do recall some of the in-jokes (and I think a character from the Fleetway comic was put in there too) and that's cool he had those.

Still was not the best choice for that issue lol.

14. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

If it makes anyone here feel any better, Jon Gray is ashamed of the slap and wishes he had done it differently. So, even he knows the style is bad.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Tekno the Canary, below the Chao on the last panel, second from left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Seriously, Jon Gray moderated so many Sonic sites back then it was hard to keep track. Always enjoyed his artstyle. It was something different, and for the official side of things it was always preferable to Ron Lim. Also loved the fleetway nods. Think he did a Cybernik cameo as well at some point.

Glad to have met him in person at Comic Con at a sonic panel. Entire crew was great. Met Spaz too and always loved his Sega cameos as well. Glad Jon is still working on Sonic over at IDW. Always found his work did fit best with the off panel stuff. It fit what they were going for with that. Besides the Drano Cookies, I still remember the LNR nod as well. Ugh... still remember his work more on Return to Angel Island and try to filter some of the worse stuff out of my mind.

Man, nice throwbacks to the old sonic scene of yester-year. Kinda miss the old days. So many places back then that just don't exist now or aren't any where near as big.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I won't insult your intelligence and point him out when Shortfuse is this obvious.
    [​IMG]

There's a few others kicking about as well: Pyjamas, Ebony, Porker Lewis, Metamorpha and Bob Beaky are all present as well.

Bet you didn't realise there was two Sonics in that issue, huh?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yeah, that's the one! Come to think of it I think there's a panel where she was actually addressed by name and seen more clearly.

I kinda miss those days, too. TSF was one of the first forums I went on. Good times on there but the attitudes of some users (and even some mods) were... well, kinda SJW-ish before SJWs were a thing.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Post above yours.

Anyway, any new news on the Penders front?

20. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    *cough*MaverickMMI*cough* ;)

I can't remember the exact details, but didn't Gray drawing in Fleetway characters end up pissing Sega off in some way?

I remember there being some decent artists on TSF, wonder what they're all up to now? (I know one ended up working for Cartoon Network UK and directed a music video for the Arctic Monkeys)