The internet lies: cheat code edition

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Bobblen

Bobblen

And to bring us back on topic, I have started the Saturn Street Fighter journey!
    Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams/Hidden content - Sega Retro
    I am sort of trusting that Akuma can be permanently unlocked as described, whereas I can cheat my way to beating Bison and getting Dan to challenge me quite easily (curiously there didn't appear to be any taunt requirement like the internet says, I just won 6 fights in a row on hardest difficulty and he showed up), getting all those super combo finishes will be a pain!

EDIT - hmm, but on a second high difficulty playthrough with the save reset, Dan didn't challenge, so maybe there is more to it. How annoying. Testing continues.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  2. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    The easiest method to fight Dan in Alpha 1 is to have the same end-of-match win quote appear five times in a row. You can influence this by holding a button after the last round was won. After the 5th time, Dan will challenge you next stage.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Bobblen

Bobblen

Thanks, and indeed, if I'd just read a well researched FAQ like this one (instead of trying to pick apart the usual confusing cheat pages), I'd have discovered that I hit the third(!) method of getting Dan, there's a random chance it happens if you fight Adon at the right time on the hardest difficulty. But yes, I need to include the code for forcing a specific win quote as well as fleshing out the various ways of getting Dan. Then that should be everything covered for that game.
    Street Fighter Alpha - Move List and Guide - Arcade Games - By Kao_Megura - GameFAQs (gamespot.com)

Out of curiosity, did you try out the CPS Changer 'ura' mode? Must admit that until I went down that internet rabbit hole, the only thing I knew about it was that it was a home version of capcom's cps1 arcade hardware. The history around it is really interesting.

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    I used to play that version of SFZ when it was first added to Callus (before even XOR-based CPS-2 emulation), and used those codes myself. That's how I remembered what they did, since I thought it was odd the 'full character select' modified the 3rd row to have 5 spaces centered, rather than 4 with the split being along the center line of the screen.

5. Bobblen

Bobblen

Road Rash CD does indeed appear to have nothing, but Road Rash 3 has three title screen codes that give you a bit of money, better bikes and skipping to level 2 or 3 which are actually real. I was sure given how weirdly specific they were that they were made up, but they all work.

Road Rash CD is a very strange version, basically Road Rash 3 graphics mixed with a CD sound track (based on the 3do version apparently, though I've never played that one) and some low quality FMVs. A classic mega cd quick and dirty port. Although thinking about it, I might quickly try the Road Rash 3 codes on it, given that it's the same engine just with fancy sound.

EDIT - 4 title screen codes, and no they do not work on the cd version, it doesn't have 2 player support at all!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List