don't click here

The Ideal Sonic Game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    I didnt mean permanently#, just for I timel imit like in the old games but I want it to look like the sonic boost :P

Also Spindash added to my list! I cant believe I forgot that :O

2. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
  4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I think it could too, but there have to be quite a few features added that set it apart from LittleBigPlanet and give it that unique Sonic flavor.

It should also be possible for paths to branch off in different directions. For example, a path heading north can split into two, one going northwest, and the other going northeast. The way Sonic goes depends on the "lane" he's in when he hits the fork.

5. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    In theory it looks like Unleashed's 2D sections with a slightly raised camera position to allow Z-axis movement.

6. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
  7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Switching lanes like that is kind of annoying in LBP, can you imagine how much a hassle it would become at Sonic speeds? I'd rather just have full 3D movement.

8. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Maybe if they slowed Sonic down and based everything around pinball mechanics and momentum it wouldn't be so problematic. At the speed Sonic goes today, yes, it definitely would backfire.

9. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
  10. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Okay, Here's my ideal Sonic Game. The game would have to focus more on speed and less on the graphics. (excluding Unleashed.) It wouldn't have very shitty gimmicks like we all love and hate at the same time. No, this would be a sonic game where you'd just go through the level head-on crushing Badniks and dodging traps along the way. The main problem with Sonic Team is that they take too many chances. For one thing, the set a Deadline. That is something you shouldn't do. Look at Blizzard Entertainment for example, they set deadlines but often dodge them if they feel the game isn't ready. Nowadays with Sonic Team, you've got bugs galore in the games. It sounds like the debugging team takes more Coffee breaks than doing actual work or Sonic Team is just very sloppy. It may also have something to do with the fact that Sonic Team yearns for the 16-bit era again and they slip into day dreams on a regular basis. (I'm just joking about that last one.) Hell, I don't know!

but getting back on subject another ideal thing would be to fire the fucking gay 4 Kids Voice actors and actually get in some good voice acting personnel to make up for the lack of good speaking lines. Comparing Jason Griffiths' Sonic Rush voice to his Sonic and the Black Knight voice, I'd say Griffiths has got worse at making Sonic actually sound like the Sonic Heroes Ryan Drummond voice. In Sonic Rush it was nearly right on the money which was a little odd I thought. Another thing that pisses me off about the 4 Kids voice actors is the fact that they are greedy, cocky, and show off on a regular basis by playing multiple characters at a time. It would be alright but it is done way too much by anime voice actors which kind of pisses me off for some reason. Plus Griffiths makes Shadow Sound emo. Shadow isn't EMO. Not anymore at least. He lost his "Emoness" in Shadow the Hedgehog, (as shitty of a game it was at least there are fewer jokes about Shadow slashing his wrist. Now, however you have jokes about him being Black and having guns.)

One Redeeming quality of all the shitty 3D Sonic games (even Sonic 06') has been the music. It gives us something to enjoy. One thing is certain that Crush 40 sure hasn't lost their touch as is also the same case with many of the other composers involved. I'm happy that they continued to work for Sonic Team over the years.

I could have Spied on Sonic Team if I was a bit older and had a College degree, but now they've merged with Sonic Team of Japan yet again so so much for that Idea. I wanted to put a whoopy coushin in one of the Sonic Team member's chairs as a joke too. Oh well so much for that idea...... :colbert:

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Meh Pure 2D is the way to go

[​IMG]
    Like this.

12. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  13. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    Not at all, you just need a smart control mechanic to make it easier: the ability to lock into a lane. Suppose you spindash, and you're worried that minute movements of your thumb will cause you to fly off in the wrong direction? Have a button you can hold down while you're moving to stay locked in that 2D plane. If you travel diagonally into a wall, it automatically corrects you so that you're moving forward, while keeping your momentum.

The 3D movement would lend itself to boss battles, alternate paths and hidden emeralds.

14. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Wait a second. We have Sonic drift now. It CAN work, Unleashed is just a bigger version of this in some ways.

EDIT: Actually thinking about, it's very loosely the same thing. Disregard what I said, but I think now with the Sonic Drift it's very possible. It could probably work just as well even if Sonic was slowed down.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It's called Quick-Step.

16. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I got the two confused. My mistake.

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    People were throwing around "Little Big Planet", where it happens automatically to allow for platforms above one another (among other things). This system messes up if you aren't careful, and can get pretty annoying. And the quick step fails hilariously often, and when it works, it's a pretty crappy mechanic, it's one notch off a QTE.

I still fail to see why there are people on this forum who don't think a Sonic game can work in 3D.

18. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Sonic Team. There's your answer.

19. corneliab

corneliab

If by "hilariously often" you mean "when you can't play worth a darn", then sure.

I mean, seriously? If you're screwing up the quick step so often to the point in which you're actually complaining about it, I can't help but question your competence. It's a reliable mechanic that serves its purpose well. Hardly crappy.

Kinda like jumping. And sliding. And homing attack. And rolling. And peel out. And spindash. And certain level gimmicks. And pretty much anything that requires some sort of button command.

Oh the horror.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.