don't click here

The first Sonic "fangame" ever created?

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by GWells, Mar 2, 2011.

1. GWells

GWells

Download page at back2roots.org
    NOTE: back2roots.org is a legal site despite it looking otherwise.

This is a so called "scene game" for the Amiga from 1992... the very interesting fact is that it does feature Sonic the Hedgehog, potentially making it the first "fangame" to be ever released, much before than Sonic Boom which is considered the first Sonic fangame among most circles.

You need some version of UAE (WinUAE, etc.) and Amiga Kickstart 1.3 to run it. It is not a real game, but you can move Sonic around a bit. On the other hand, it starts with the usual Sega logo and sound and near the Sega logo there is Sonic dancing.

It is meant as a demo, but still, for 1992, it is pretty early and impressive!

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

Is it this demo?

The title screen and the thumbnail look near identical so I'm assuming it is.

3. I heard that Sega also gave publishing rights to some company to release this game on the Amiga, so this might be a very early prototype of it.

Just a food for thought.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Come on people!

Sonic Boom is considered the first fangame to hit the internet, and went on to inspire tons of Clickteam-based Sonic fangames, a tradition that still exists to this day. There could be any number of games released in between.

And there's other questions such as "do you consider pirate releases such as Somari a "fan game"?" It's a game clearly built by fans, the only difference is it was sold illegally.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Someone remix that music. It's kind of catchy

6. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Ah, but the subject was "The first Sonic "fangame" ever created?"" - wouldn't that render your point moot?

7. Perfect Chaos Zero

Perfect Chaos Zero

Notoriously Inebriated Oldbie
    One might question if this even qualifies as a technical game. There's no real goal, way to lose, win, nor are there really any definitive rules or structure to it, so one could say it is not a game if you were to go by the Chris Crawford definition. That said, by strictly basic dictionary definition, ala "1. an amusement or pastime", this Sonic Amiga thing may qualify as a game. Frankly, if you ask me, I'd say it's debatable. Because of the context in which this was included on the discs, a supplement to the included art collection, I suppose I lean towards considering this sort of thing a piece of eye candy, but I certainly can't say I can definitively disagree with someone calling it a game.

8. I'm impressed by the graphics in that Amiga game. The backgrounds look kinda swanky.

9. I think the music from that video could make a good "Act 2" of Green Hill Zone, Sonic 3 style.

10. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Well, I think it could certainly qualify for earliest known Sonic fangame.

11. The sounds/instruments and how Sonic moves make me think it's a mod for Superfrog. Is it a mod of Superfrog?

12. DJ Yoshiman

DJ Yoshiman

Canada, eh?
    Music Website, Mario fangame (What is This Thing)
    Remix a remix?

With the exception that the remix is loosely based off of the original.

13. f2bnp

f2bnp

You know you might be right about this, it certainly reminds me of Superfrog too.
    Speaking of Amiga though, what happened to this: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28Amiga%29
    Anybody know anything more about it? With US Gold behind it, it was guaranteed to be utter shit, but it is interesting nonetheless.

14. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I quite agree sir. I'm half tempted to rip it off actually.