don't click here

The Comics

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kama, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    During the years of my childhood when Sonic was a enormous craze, I was a regular subscriber to Archie's infamous Sonic series. Keep in mind that in the early 90's Sonic had next to nothing of a Storyline. (Sega didn't pay too much attention to it at this point.) Aside from what the instruction manual says (Which no 6 year old kid ever reads) All you do is run through levels killing robots and beating what I knew him at the time as "Big Fat Guy". When a comic line was started, it drew most of it's influences from the SatAM cartoon. For me as a kid it was exciting every month to see what wacky adventure Sonic and the crew would be involved in.

When the Sonic craze died down, My subscription expired and I didn't care as I was psyched about the upcoming N64. Since then I've had no direct contacts with the Comics, aside from mere mentions and thoughts. To be honest, looking back on the few stories I do remember, they're pretty cheesy. The art style was erratic, ranging from pretty good in one panel to downright hideous in the next. The Dialogue was silly and the action was more slapstick then anything else. But of course, it was the closest to an official story that Sonic fans can get at the time.

As we all know Sonic Adventure finally cemented a storyline, thus destroying beliefs that Sonic's home planet was a place called "Mobius". By this time I wondered how the writers were gonna handle it, but was too busy to even bother picking up an issue to find out.

A mere 2 weeks ago, my brother picked up 3 issues of the old series, a Death Egg mini-series. Out of amusement, I've read it and like I've mentioned above it suffers the same problems. Still I was curious over how the writers managed to squeeze all this into the Sonic Adventure storyline. With the internet in hand I've looked it up and have been presented with a complete mess of convulsion. From an Army of Metal Sonics, to Alien beings, from Eggman dying to being reborn and dying again, and alternative dimensions, That's not a quick or easy story to tell.

Though from what I've seen, the art style appears to have improve and the stories appear more "intelligent" then the older ones. Archie can also make some rather nice looking characters, my favs being Mina Mongoose and Julie-Su. Of course I'm speaking design wise, and not character wise. For all I know they can be complete douches in actual storyline.

Archie also isn't inclined to ignoring old favorites like Sega does. Both Mighty the Armadillo and Fang the Sniper played large roles in the series. I also like how that whole Chaotix crew is led by Knuckles, and not some cheesy detective agency. The art style has improved over the years and from what I've seen it ranges from Great, to Decent, to Questionable, and finally to Downright Insane.

I don't read the comic anymore and I probably never will again, but its interesting to see how Archie can keep up with Sega's absurd amount of new characters and keep writing interesting stories.

Any thoughts? Share them if you wish.

2. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    My suggestion: Ignore completly Sonic the Hedgehog 080 to 159... start to read it on issue 160, the new Writer, Ian Flynn (also know as Ian the Potto) made the thing I thought was impossible: make Sonic comic looks cool again. He's kicking all the uncessary characters the other writers *coughcoughPenderscoughcoug* added during all this time. Just Sonic's crew (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy), Freedom Fighters (Sally, Bunnie, Antoine and Rotor), Chaotix (Vector, Espio, Charmy, Saffron (Charmy's wife... who had this idea long ago on the Knuckles'series was really drunken!), Mighty, Ray and Julie-Su) and some few others like Rouge, Shadow, Eggman.

Give a chance to it on issues 160 and on, it's worth in my opnion

3. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    If it means anything, Eggman pretty much kills everybody off in issue #175... well, no, that's a lie; he puts them into "Egg Grapes". Yeah. And there's supposed to be some big rescue attempt in #176, via which the necessary characters are guaranteed to return (although who knows what the fate of the fluff characters will be). But hey, for one issue at least, Eggman actually does something drastic!

Also, if you think that's "downright insane", I'm almost afraid to ask what you consider these <a href="http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4376/ohdeargawdjebushc9.png[/IMG]two</a>... or perhaps this is more up your alley. I swear, these are artists trained by...
    [​IMG]
    I mean, it seems "DURRRRRRRRRRRRR" enough there.

Although Jon Gray is sexy.

4. Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

Tech Member
    Wait, you don't mean this guy do you?

5. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Damn...that's just...damn.

Seriously, someone was actually paid fresh American dollars to draw that crap? Tails seems to change shape in every panel in the first one and the second one is enough to make me rip out the page and burn it.

As for the third one...well I won't get into that.

6. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Yes

He did that fan-comic "Other-M" (which in my opnion is really bad). He's also have a deviantArt journal where he posts the news about the comics. Also was him who made the story where Eggman said the controls of a game is totally broken on issue 172 or 173 (dunno know. =P)

http://ian-the-potto.deviantart.com/
    EDIT: Corrected the orl. Thanks fo Shadow Hog

And those scans... man, I got really pissed off when I saw those, I tried to draw for them, but Mike Pellerito (comic's editor) said I wasn't ready yet... ¬¬

7. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It's neither; that was the Free Comic Book Day issue, which isn't part of the numbered entries.

Also it's ianpotto.deviantart.com, not "ian-the-potto.deviantart.com"...

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    What's funny is that when I saw that odd drawing with Amy and actually looked closely at it, the first thing that came to my mind is, "Where the hell has her left hand gone?"

Geez, I stopped like right before 159. I agree that around 80, when Bollers messed up some stuff and added cheesy "modern and relevant" crap to the setting and dialogue it killed it. I don't read a Sonic comic book to read about plotlines where Sonic goes to school, and the slang was pitiful. However, I loved the Naugus story arc, and, if I ever get my scripts written down for how I would shape the non-existent 3rd season (a new project I may take up after getting the SatAM box set, I would definitely adapt that).

I don't know; when I was young I was okay with having some of the dopey banter on the TV show, though it grates on me at times now; in any case, it was better than what they were doing with the comics, at least up until around issue 30, where they adopted the serious content from the show more regularly. (BTW, AoSTH was often painful to watch.) Still, these comic moments were hardly unique. Watch SWAT KATS for a similar take on the dark fantasy drama / light banter ideas seen in SatAM Sonic; it was from around the same era and actually had many of the same voice actors doing certain roles (the guy who played Robotnik, Jim Cummings, infoamous as the modern voice of Pete in the Mickey cartoons makes an appearance as the bumbling, cowardly mayor (who, like Antoine has a think foreign accent, though it seems Scottish, not French); Charlie Adler (Snively) is the burly hero and ace pilot (both odd juxtapostions indeed); Kath Soucie (Sally) and Rob Paulsen (Antoine) also have bit parts as villains). I would say that the SatAM cast almost works as a sort of now "All-star voice actor" cast. Of course, all the good shows from back then used some of these actors (also check out the cast listing for Earthworm Jim series). Man, it's too bad nobody makes shows like that anymore. All the good (I.e., non-flash animated) stuff comes from Japan, and they just lack the same atmosphere that Sonic or Swat Kats had.

Oh, and BTW, NEVER pick up a copy of Sonic X comics. They're lame, though probably intended for people under even half my age.

9. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Well, yes, we're lacking the atmosphere because video games don't make TV shows these days anymore, they make movies (be it crappy or 'decent') like:

Super Mario Bros. (1993)
    Mortal Kombat (1995 and 1997)
    Wing Commander (1999)
    Dungeons & Dragons (2000; technically based on a "pen-and-paper" RPG, but there were a few D&D video games)
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001; granted it wasn't based on any installment... but then they have been milking the Final Fantasy VII cash cow more recently in that department)
    Tomb Raider (two movies, 2001 and 2003)
    Resident Evil (two movies so far in 2002 and 2004 with a third one planned this year)
    House of the Dead (2003, Uwe Boll...)
    Alone in the Dark (2005, Uwe Boll...)
    Doom (2005)
    BloodRayne (2006; and they're actually planning another; oh, and... Uwe Boll...)
    DOA: Dead or Alive (2006)
    House of the Dead II (2006, NOT Uwe Boll)
    Silent Hill (2006)
    Hitman (2007)
    In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007, Uwe Boll)
    Postal (2007, Uwe Boll)
    The Suffering (2007 or 2008)
    Castlevania (2008)
    Dragon's Lair (rumor and financial problems)

The only fairly recent (as compared to the Mario, Zelda, and Sonic TV shows) attempts at a TV show (that weren't Japanese) based on a video game (or series of video games) was Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? (1994-1999), Donkey Kong Country (by a French company no less; 1998-2000), Mortal Kombat: Conquest (1998-1999), Sonic Underground (also French, 1998-1999), Destroy All Humans! (rumor... two years ago), and Viva Piñata. :P

The reason why we don't have that atmosphere anymore is because... it's not the early 1990s anymore. You can't capture a time like that again when there was a console war between Nintendo and Sega. Granted that some (most?) of the old cartoons based on video games did suck (some more than others).

10. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Okay, I'll be honest here. I'm really fond of the comics, always have been fond of the comics, and probably always will be. I find it interesting how they keep going with this storyline and several mini side stories. However, I DO wish that they'd had more than one silly issue with Sonic Underground references, but meh... either way. Maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for a good, long and interesting story. Always have been. But I've always loved these comics. I'm almost amazed that since Knuckles, Tails and Sally got their own 3-issue mini-serieses, Shadow or some other character hasn't. lol.

11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Yeah they're good and all that, but not canon, and I can't keep up with all the new characters and transformations that appear in the series...Chaos Knuckles?!

12. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It's been a while since they stopped that Chaos Knuckles thing.

But I have to agree, the comics are good again, especially since issue 160. The new writer has some good ideas and Tracy Yardley is a good artist, way better than Ron Lim...

13. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I read the comics whenever I can because I'm a loser like that. Although I didn't much care for the Sonic Love... Pentagon. I read one of the more recent issues(I miss like seven in between issues) and Eggman beat the ever-loving crap outta Sonic. And only the big four are back, Consisting of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy. Everyone else is either dead or captured.

That's what I like about the comics, though. They got the balls to kill someone off.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Specifically, who did they kill off? If enough of the "bad list" of originality they had was kicked, maybe I'll start reading again.
    Oh, and Issue #175 intrigues me. If anyone can scan that along with any other issue that'd help me understand the story, that'd be great.

15. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    They killed off a comic-made character. And nearly killed off like, tons of other people, but generally, Sonic, being the speedy maniac he is, gets them help in time. That Sonic... playing hero is gonna get somebody really pissed off one day at it'll all backfire. owait it did. ((Issue... Dunno, like, three back from now.))

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, off the top of my head, Mina, the "Evil" characters, Scoruge, and those stupid Knothole residents (NOT freedom fighters) are dead? Huh? I acctually kind of like Mina. Now the issue where all of them die, I would like that too.

17. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    Well a a lot of knothole residents are dead, Mina is near dead, along with the rest of the Freedom fighters(Only the first four real characters are left), Some of the evil characters are dead, and some good friend of the Freedom Fighters who was a turtle.

...Also one issue I picked up had some random Horse guy appear for like, five panels before he died.

18. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Nobody died in #175, Eggman captured them and transferred them into the Egg-Grapes, to suck their energy for his empire. But Sonic, Tails, Knuckles & Amy save them in the next issue (also release characters like Mammooth Mogul) and Nicole tricked Eggman so he accidentally sent them to the old Nanite city, now transformed into New Mobotropolis (sort of an hollographic version of Mobotropolis from SatAM) but in the last page, Eggman is coming with his Egg Fleet to attack.

Characters that recently died are the infamous Tommy Turtle (finally!) and Sir Connery (a paladin horse who appeared in an early Knuckles story)

19. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    Blast. I was actually hoping some of would have died.

Now what the hell is the Egg Grapes?

20. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    And I thought you bought the issue whre Sir Connery dies :)

[​IMG]

That's it, some kind of grapes that sucks the energy (or life, I'm not sure) of any being trapped in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.