don't click here

The 4th Annual Sonic "ROM Editing" Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    A challenge?
    I can very much win my own trophy.
    Lost Wood zone was only practice. Let's go for something BIG!
    Good luck... =P

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Heh, you aren't the only one :P

3. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    =P

Sonic 1: NEW STUFZ will pwn. I expect at least one trophy, kthx.

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    NO! THE 1337 TROPHY WILL BE MINE!

5. Weird Person

Weird Person

You lost two seconds reading this Member
    Who knows?
    this will not be a challenge until I find a way to change level layout.

Anyway, give your best, I have six months to find out how to change levels.

6. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    I'll also be picking up the 1337 trophy with SONIK L33T.

BEAT THAT.

7. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Sonic 1337 is immortalised as TEH 1337est EVAR.

8. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Maybe I can be somewhat helpful, I spent a bit of time loading through the savestate, and from what I've looked at the level layout seems to be split up into two parts, one where the level is stored graphically, and one section where the solidity is... Though this is from only about a half hour of looking, so it may not be right.

9. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    EDIT: Nevermind

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Well, I should get my RHS V0.90 in on-time. This is the only hack I will have. It most likely be done by May, but I don't think it will be done by 25th Oct this year. Meh...

11. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Hey, can we have a Mr. Bean trophy (For Dr. Robotnik's mean bean machine) in this contest? I need to lock myself into a trophy winning postion.

*shot for too much hope*

I'm just trying to get people to hack this game, and a trophy in a contest will sure spice it up.

12. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I'm trying to make this a challenge this year, however I will take a PuyoPuyo -- err, "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" hack.

13. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    I'm definitely going to be entering this this year. Who knows...maybe I'll get off my ass and crank out 2 or 3 levels(maybe more but that would be pushing it..) since I have about a 8 month advance warning.

14. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Three announcements:

1) LocalH is now going to be testing each and every "edit" submitted that is not over 2MB. If your "edit" fails to boot up, or has severe glitches, it will be automaticly disqualified from obtaining " LocalH's THIS DOESN'T SUCK Trophy"

Note: Anyone with the capability to run ROM's on the hardware and can run ROM's that are larger than 2MB are encouraged to become "Hardware Testing Dummies"

2) I'm a judge of this contest this time too, so if you have a beef with me, you better not enter. =P

3) The HQ for this year's contest will be at Random Sonic Net's forums. Voice has graciously allowed us to his messageboard as the HQ and it'll be a good traffic increasing method. It'll be up and ready for us to use sometime later tommorow. (It should've been up last week, but I was a lazy slob who kept forgetting to finish what I've started)

15. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well I think that counts me out of the LocalH trophy then. My hack is looking to be closer to 4MB than 2MB at the moment.

16. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Kinda unfair for those who can't test on hardware, isn't it? What the hell are they meant to do?

I only say this because in my GBA programming experience, things go wrong on the hardware for a lot of very odd reasons you wouldn't think of unless you could actually test on the hardware and see the problems =P

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    That's a problem for Sonic 2 & Knuckles.
    Anyway, I have the chance to have Genesis Plus. This emulator is very close to real hardware (much more close than Gens) even if there is again some bugs. I think a PC version even exists, but I don't know where.

From what I understand, several entries can have this new trophy. You should add several rules for this trophy, or a simple 5min pallet hack can win very easily while a several years technical hack might not win it, because of one or two small bugs here and there. Do you see what I mean?

18. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    It's just a single trophy, and it doesn't affect your standing for any of the other trophies.

Mustapha never said that ANY minor bugs would cause disqualification - just those that prevent the game from booting up or if it causes a crash at somepoint. If I can't get the game to run at all, then it's right out.

Unless someone else who can run ROMs on hardware offers to assist in judging, this award is solely for me to judge, simply because you actually have to see it running on hardware in order to judge (since that's kind of the point). And do you honestly think I'd vote for a shitty pallet hack over a good hack just because of small bugs?

19. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Okay LocalH, that make sense. Thank you for clarifying this point.
    Good luck with all these real hardware tests.

20. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I need to come up with some criteria for making an entry eligible for the hardware award, as I don't want to nominate a simple pallet hack unless it's really, really good. Any suggestions? I would think that ASM hacks should be instantly eligible, since you're mucking with the actual game logic.