don't click here

The 2013 Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Here are this year's entries so far. Remember that any incomplete entries won't be a part of the contest after the updates deadline. Partial-Private entries can also be changed to Public as well if they change their mind. Seems to be a better turnout than the last few years anyway...

1. An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack by Cinossu
    2. Egg Fleet in SADX by pablodrago
    3. Metal Sonic Hyperdrive by MKDarkon
    4. Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedeghog 2 by E-122-Psi
    5. Sonic 1 CD Remake by Bobesh8
    6. Sonic 1: The Harder Levels by The Harder Levels Project
    7. Sonic 2 Adventure Edition by MainMemory
    8. Sonic 2 Recreation - Part One by redhotsonic
    9. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle Network by Morph
    10. Sonic Adventure Generations by Dude
    11. Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project by Dario FF, Chimera and TwilightZoney
    12. Sonic Green Snake by Green Snake
    13. Sonic MBV by Selbi
    14. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Time Attack by redhotsonic
    15. Sonic the Hedgehog: Never Stop Running by Cinossu
    16. Sonic vs Camera by Green Snake
    17. Sonic Winter Adventures by vladikcomper
    18. The S Factor: Sonia and Silver by Aquaslash and Pals
    19. Sonic Generations - Adabat Adventure Pack PC by Arcieo
    20. Sonic 2 Build A Burger by SuperEgg
    21. Sonic Classic Heroes - Rise of the Chaotix by Flamewing
    22. Sonic Random Hax - LZ Demo by Electroball
    23. Sonic 1 Color Contrast by TheInvisibleSun
    24. Classic Sonic in "Sonic 4 - Episode 2" by Dario FF
    25. Mecha Harvest by GT Koopa
    26. Mr. Needlemouse by MKAmeX*
    27. Sonic 1: Sonic CD Edition by Animemaster*
    28. Sonic 2: S3 Edition by Alriightyman*
    29. Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition by D.A. Garden*
    30. Sonic 06 Melpontro Power Pack by Melpontro*

* - Partial Private Entry
    ** - Incomplete Entry (get those unnamed entries named!)

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    And here I was going to leave them a secret until public viewing. :P Ah well.

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    For the last few contests I've posted what has been submitted after the deadline is up.

The Contest Week will take place from Monday 12th August to Sunday 18th. A schedule will be posted up once it is all finalised.

4. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    I think I know the answer to this but better to ask to be sure!
    Will MegaGWolf be reviewing the partial-private entries as well? And same question goes for SomeCallMeJohnny.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Only the public entries but if anyone wants a review and has a partial private entry just ask.

6. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I find your lack of ColinC disturbing. But oh well! I can not WAIT to try out these games! Glad to see we've got a good turnout this year.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I will admit I am disappointed that the annual ColinC10 entry was nowhere to be seen but nobody can be expected to submit every year.

Also, the hacks will be available to download from August 12th as part of the Contest Week. One of the things we're going to do is have workshops where specific parts of hacking will be looked at, provided by someone who is experienced with a particular field (music and level design are two that will be happening). These would be done on IRC and visual stuff like live streaming would also occur if necessary. If anyone is interested in providing a session that isn't already being covered, send me a PM and we'll try and sort out something.

In addition, there will be time limited mini-contests that will only last a day, even less. There will be a schedule of events posted when everything is confirmed but here's a preview of what you'll be getting. There will be much more to come. Just think of it as SAGE without the Mike Pollock appearance.

9. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ok... so I'm not surprised at the lack of a ColinC10 entry... I believe last year he gave us Battle Race, and IIRC he stated that it was something that he'd already had done for a long while that he found and touched up to enter into the contest... suggesting that he hasn't been hacking too much lately (OR just nothing that is ready to submit at the current time.) Very understandable... guy had 5 killer concepts each year, in a row.

Holy shit I stand corrected... Green Snake actually put together something worth trying out.

Aside from that... Loving the turnout. ESPECIALLY loving the fact that Cinossu's newest hack is Public in the contest... that is a WIN for me.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Just a reminder that you have until this Thursday at 7AM BST to update your entries. If your entry is incomplete and is not switched to Public or Partial Private by then, your entry will not be judged.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You have 12 hours remaining to update your entry. After that, no further uploads will be permitted and any entries remaining as Incomplete will not be judged or included in the contest.

The last part is important as there are 11 entries at this time of post that have been marked as Incomplete. So change your entry to Public or Partial Private before the deadline!

Also worth noting is that all entries must be playable by the judges. There has been an entry which redirects to the Sega Screen after pressing Start on the Title Screen as a deliberate attempt to stop judges from playing the game until a further update is made, so make sure that you have a working update before the deadline.

Oh and watch this. See you next week!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgWtUiTo6BU[/youtube]

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Finished updating my entry, although do any of the judges even have Sonic 4: Episode 2 on PC? :v: In any case, I left a gameplay video linked that I recorded today.

13. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    trying to compile my update as fast as possible. It's almost done.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    My laptop cord literally burned out, but I thankfully got the right update build uploaded before it died.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Never mind about before, I just compressed the most important video, and linked to that. Everything is fine now.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    So I got my work more or less ready to submit. Unfortunately, my internet is down and will stay down for a couple days. I tried sending it by my phone, (which I am using via data plan to type this) but it just won't go through. Can I have an email address to sent it to for a last ditch effort?

Edit: Disregard. I figured out finally how to turn my phone into a portable wifi device. Work submitted.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Aaaaand, it's over. All editing is disabled, all entries are static and final, and no more changes or description, title, gallery, ROM/link or status can be made.

Good luck to all that have finalised their entries!

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The finished list for this year's contest:

1. An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack by Cinossu
    2. Egg Fleet in SADX by pablodrago
    3. Metal Sonic Hyperdrive by MKDarkon
    4. Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedeghog 2 by E-122-Psi
    5. Sonic 1 CD Remake by Bobesh8
    6. Sonic 1: The Harder Levels by The Harder Levels Project
    7. Sonic 2 Adventure Edition by MainMemory
    8. Sonic 2 Recreation - Part One by redhotsonic
    9. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle Network by Morph
    10. Sonic Adventure Generations by Dude
    11. Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project by Dario FF, Chimera and TwilightZoney
    12. Sonic Green Snake by Green Snake
    13. Sonic MBV by Selbi
    14. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Time Attack by redhotsonic
    15. Sonic the Hedgehog: Never Stop Running by Cinossu
    16. Sonic vs Camera by Green Snake
    17. Sonic Winter Adventures by vladikcomper
    18. The S Factor: Sonia and Silver by Aquaslash and Pals
    19. Sonic Generations - Adabat Adventure Pack PC by Arcieo
    20. Sonic 2 Build A Burger by SuperEgg
    21. Sonic Classic Heroes - Rise of the Chaotix by Flamewing
    22. Sonic Random Hax - LZ Demo by Electroball
    23. Sonic 1 Color Contrast by TheInvisibleSun
    24. Classic Sonic in "Sonic 4 - Episode 2" by Dario FF
    25. Mecha Harvest by GT Koopa
    26. Mr. Needlemouse by MKAmeX*
    27. Sonic 1: Sonic CD Edition by Animemaster*
    28. Sonic 2: S3 Edition by Alriightyman*
    29. Sonic 3: D.A. Garden Edition by D.A. Garden*
    30. Sonic 06 Melpontro Power Pack by Melpontro*

* - Partial Private Entry

If anyone in the Partial Private list wants a video review by MegaGWolf and SomecallmeJohnny please let me know.

19. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Hey everyone! I would've posted this yesterday, but work was stupid-busy. Real life gets in the way again. D: Entry editing finished yesterday. Unless you have a very, very good reason, this is it. All over. No changes. Nada.

There appears to also be some confusion about public viewing of entries not being enabled yet; my understanding of the schedule was that public viewing would occur at the same time as Contest Week, of which Spanner will talk more about in a news post after this. If this is in error, well, I'll amend this post and all public and partial-private entries will become viewable at the flick of a switch. :P

That said, one thing I have noticed on the forums is people posting their entries publicly already. While we obviously can't stop you, we'd all prefer if you wouldn't do this next time and left it for the actual public viewing on the site. This site becomes somewhat useless for public voting and viewing if you're all just going to post them elsewhere, after all.

Aaaand that's all for today. Another day of work for me.

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    So, about that Contest Week...

It'll be taking place from next Monday (12th August) to Sunday 18th August. You'll get a chance to download the public entries, discuss them and vote for the Community Trophies. You will need either a Sonic Retro or SSRG account to vote, if you have both, then only use one as we don't want any vote rigging to take place by people using both accounts to vote for the same thing. Everything will be on the SHC website.

The regular events taking place every day will be live streaming from MegaGWolf (from 7pm BST/2pm EST to 9pm BST/4pm EST) and SomecallmeJohnny (1am BST/9pm EST to 3am BST/11pm EST) along with a daily contest podcast from 9pm BST/4pm EST to 11pm BST/6pm EST. The results from the contest will be announced on Sunday from 8pm BST (3pm EST) to 11pm BST (6pm EST). The results and the podcast will be streamed on a radio server which will be linked when the week has started. These will also be recorded so if you miss them, you can listen to them later.

An IRC channel has also been setup at irc.badnik.net #hackingcontest so feel free to come in during the week.

We'll also be having other events during the week which I hope to finalise at the weekend including a few hacking workshops - if you have an idea and would like to do it please send me a PM so it can be organised, looking for anything here!

Finally, you'll get the chance to take part in daily hacking contests where the end result will be to produce a level in Sonic 1 by the end of the week. This will be open to everyone and not just Retro and SSRG members.

Again, I hope to have a full schedule posted during this weekend but every day there will be a post on the site explaining that day's events and the daily contest that will take place.