don't click here

That one Sonic CD sprite...

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Falk, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Falk

Falk

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while, and I find it extremely odd that no one else seems to take issue with it. It's one particular sprite from SCD which has been appropriated for another use in like... virtually every recent fangame. Over the past few months I've been increasingly driven mad with the niggling, then somewhat annoying, and now completely overbearing need to know if I'm completely alone in finding the sprite usage extremely jarring (in which case I'm an asshole making a lot of ado over nothing) or if it's bugged other people but not to the point that a thread had to be made about it. (in which case I'm simply an asshole)

The sprite I'm referring to is this:
    [​IMG]

The usage I'm referring to is Sonic descending from vertical springs. WHY is this sprite used then? It originally was in the timeout/idle->gameover animation. Let's look at some points here:
    - Sonic looks pissed
    - Sonic is looking right at the player
    - It just looks awkward in general dimensions, hinting at a scrawnier Sonic with longer limbs.

I mean I can understand its original usage in what's not really a gameplay-affecting gimmick (I'MMA OUTTA HERE), but when a level has a bunch of springs and it shows up every 2 seconds or so it looks utterly retarded.

Firstly, there's absolutely no reason for Sonic to be looking towards the screen. None whatsoever.
    Secondly, there's absolutely no reason for Sonic to look pissed. Combined with the point above it's like you made Sonic do some massive chore jumping on a spring and he's glaring at you out of annoyance. Over and over again.
    Thirdly, if I'm falling at terminal velocity (oftentimes with quite a bit of horizontal momentum as well) I wouldn't look anywhere except the direction I'm headed. Even a simple sprite edit to move his pupils forward/down would make its forced usage so much less awkward.

It's like someone attempted to make Sonic more badass and ended up making him look derp.

2. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I've theorized two reasons people use and abuse it.

1. Megamix.
    2. It's "badass".

And no, you're not alone in your dislike of it.

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Pretty much this. Megamix did this, people thought it was cool, and decided to replicate it in their games. Plus it is one of the most badass sprites from the really old Sonic games.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I've always loved this sprite !

5. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    To be fair. I love it too.

I'm in number 2 of what Caitlin said, I just think it looks badass and a little ninja-esque.

I agree that it is overused and I would love to see some sprite edits of it but in it's defense, it is a nice ending to a springing.

6. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I'm fine with it, as long as people take the effort to alter the eyes so that Sonic is looking where he is going, and not at the player.

7. It annoys me too. I think it's the whole "looking directly at the player" that makes it seem so out of place.

8. DNLeal

DNLeal

Former MMO addict Member
    Costa Rica
    Reading the archives...
    I really don't mind the sprite at all and I like it. I do also agree on how it's been used alot after falling from a spring in fan games and in megamix just because it looked cool.

However, I believe there was more of a use behind this sprite, at least when it comes to just being an "I'm outta here" pose. The eyes still look strange even if he was "looking down".

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I'm sure if you just remove the top two black pixels from Sonic's left (our right) pupil, it'd look more like he's looking downward.

10. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    I have been trying to make it better the time I started to use it in my fan game, but just moving the pupils will not work, he starts to look really wierd.
    I've been trying a lot of chnages on the eyes, but none of then seem to work right

well, im not good with messing aroud with character sprites, maybe someone may be able to make it better...

and, as far as I know, Sonic XG is the only fan game that has the pupils edited to look where sonic is going

11. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    [​IMG]
    Oh well now he's even more focused on us, SH

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    Would that be a sufficient change to the sprite? I've altered the eyebrows, pupils and legs.
    Now we just need everyone to start using it.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not really, but I'll concede that it doesn't really look like he's looking down, either.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This is better compared to the original.

15. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Yeah I never liked the sprite either. I first saw it in Megamix and thought it looked out of place.

It does indeed bug me when other people use it. I much prefer Sonic running in the air (I'm glad this is how its done in Generations).

16. Falk

Falk

Wasn't the perspective of that particular scene super weird anyway?

But yeah the effect that entire thing gave was a 'holy shit did that just happen?' on the first time. I'm sure I'd have the same thing to say about fake3D loops if it happened every 3 seconds.

edit:
    yesyesyesyesyesyes

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Nailed it!

18. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Someone give this to Taxman. I just like it that much.

19. Falk

Falk

Taxman? There's nothing wrong with the way the original sprite was used in Sonic CD. D:

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Shhhhh, I might get credit in an official Sonic the Hedgehog game =P /jk