don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    My computer must be too shitty to run it, because all I get a green screen when I try to run any of the three programs...

I saw a video of it on Youtube though, and it looks nice so far. :)

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks everybody for your feedback and specs report!! :)
    We are working hard to give you the best Sonic gaming experience we can, and this is thanks to everyone which contributed to let this happen.
    It was a surprise to see such lower end PCs to run it so smoothly (while some other proven the opposite)!

Please continue posting out your results, they help us to solve bugs and figuring out closer real estimated specs!
    The next step, will be an Alpha ver with a playable level and some shocking feature I cannot spoil yet! ;)

About posts at GAF,

I'm very happy our work is judged and compared into a non-Sonic related videogame industries's major forum, because while someone dislikes the work done, many of them also loves it as we do. That means it has real potential, and that's just what we wanted to show with this Tech Demo.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    God! This topic had 10 pages of posts in a day! Really impressive =)

It's good to see that Sonic 2 HD is being well criticized and accepted.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Don't you worry. These are easy things to fix. I can enumerate display modes and find a close match.
    Such fixes will be fixed with time. At this moment, 60Hz is chosen no matter if your monitor likes it or not, which makes the screen go black. You can always try different things but I doubt you will find an easy fix by yourself.

I know you are good at this so I'm just reminding you that the problem is not to draw one screen (screen being one frame of graphics) but to draw 60 screens in one second. And that the communication between the graphics card and the CPU might be heavy because of the information being sent.
    By the time Sonic 2 HD is released, computers and graphics cards are faster. Nothing is final yet. At this moment many people are happy they can run the tech demo and so am I :)

5. Sciz

Sciz

Geez, you weren't kidding. I haven't seen that kind of dedicated cynicism in a while.

Anyway, this runs at a near-solid 60 fps for me, though full screen fails.

2.0 Ghz Core Duo
    ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
    1 GB RAM
    1280x800 native res
    180 MB RAM consumption at 4x, 191 MB on 1 and 2x
    Windows XP Pro

A friend gets 60 fps on the following:

1.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    Mobile Intel 965 Express GMA Chipset
    2 GB RAM
    1280x800 native res
    ~189 MB RAM consumption
    Windows Vista

Though he also says he gets 30 fps at the title screen, and 40 in 1x.

Fantastic job on the tech side, at least from what I was able to try in the limited areas available. I look forward to the time when it can show its muscle in a proper level.

6. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    I got this running in wine even without the required dll's. I just extracted the first rar, and it started right up.

7. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    1) One cannot make everyone happy, therefore, the best one can do is to aim to make the greater group happy.

If the critics believe the art sucks - then, offer them the job of creating something that does not suck.

"It's not my job to make the art for S2HD" - well - then, "It's not S2HD's job to make you happy... bitch"
    And throw them out like the used condom they are

2) A lot of programmers talk the talk, but fail to walk the walk.
    I still run into programmers who use UT to make their games, but when asked to recreate skeletal animation or rag doll physics from scratch, they crumble
    Again, throw them out like used condoms and move on

3) All in all, I'm not saying to reject all criticism, but 99% of it is just idiots trolling/being stupid - wanting to ruin the happiness of others I guess
    One guy on IRC said "The background sucks" "They could have done something more creative than a field of flowers"

I mean ... that's how S2's background really looks for the most part - and here this idiot is critiquing it
    So I say again, throw them out and move on - they're mumbling idiots

8. GHFan

GHFan

WOW! This is impressive. The graphics are fantastic, but the engine could use some work.

Overall, I'm really excited to see where this goes.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    http://kotaku.com/5050852/sonic-2-hd-tech-...last-processing

Welcome back to Kotaku, people.

...perhaps someone should tell them the specs aren't necessarily as high as listed. For the Kotaku readership, ATI Radeon 9600 ProTurbo 128MB, 512MB RAM, and 1.5GHz Pentium M can run the demo flawlessly. That's technology from four years ago.

10. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Rare framedrops in windowed, probably none in fullscreen.

Takes up 180 MB of memory, runs windowed and fullscreen.

Windows XP x64 Edition
    Athlon XP X2 4200+
    ATI Radeon X550 256MB RAM
    1 GB RAM

Definitely no problems here.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Please do explain how the amount of video memory corresponds to the amount of video bandwidth. I'm not seeing a connection here.

Unless you keep all 60 frames in video memory every second, which is also dumb because that's just a waste of memory. (Why do you need to keep frame A in memory after frame A's already been rendered and you're rendering frame B?)

Also:
    It's this kind of reasoning that leads to PC games being unable to run on anything other than top-of-the-line machines from next year.

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    This demo is great! My only complaint is the GHZ music lead instrument, but the engine is great.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Having read what's been said on SA and Kotaku, I'm hard pressed to see where the concern is. Both have far more positive comments than negatives, and the few imbeciles bothering to troll are met with contempt it seems.

Someone really needs to get Kotaku the straight goods on the system reqs not being so obscene though.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, I'm a bit surprised how positive the reaction is coming from Kotaku.

15. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    By the way, that was tested on my

Intel C2D E8400 @ 3 Ghz
    2GB DDR2 ram
    Nvidia 7300 SE with 256MB Vram, PCI-E x16
    500GB SATA HDD
    1280x1024 LCD

4X ran full and windowed with no skip perfectly, 2x had roughly an average of 6 skipped, and oddly 1x had only 1 or 2 skipped average.

Gonna try it on my old laptop for kicks.

On my LifeBook e7110, with these specs...

Pentium 4 (no HT) at 1.8ghz
    768MB DDR Ram
    40GB IDE HDD
    32MB Vram on an ATI 128 Mobility 7500 whatever, AGP
    1400x1050 LCD

Skips 28 on average with 4x. Gets roughly 10FPS with 2x. 1x gets 5.

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Works full speed on my rig, both fullscreen and window:

C2D 2.13GHz @ 2.90 GHz
    2gb DDR RAM
    1400x900 LCD
    GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB (Overclocked to something)
    Windows XP Pro x64

Still though, I hope to see a complete act finished so I can really be sure that my computer can handle it. I really like the Title + it's music. Maybe we can have another tech demo soonish? :D

Oh and Kotaku, fuck.

17. Wolfblur

Wolfblur

:v Member
    Wow, I really wish I could try it right now, but I'm only around a Mac right now, ^^. With that, are you guys planning to release a Mac version of the final product? Thanks, =D.

As for helping out, I would really love to start trying with the music biz again like I did a few months ago, but I'm really tied up, =o. Plus, I'm not sure about the demand for real instrument players any way, XD.

-Blur

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Jesus christ, this is nearly perfect as a pre-alpha. The only issue is that Knuckles isn't gliding quite right after spinning or spindashing. (try spindashing then jump+glide in the opposite direction.)
    Keep it up, this is wonderful.

I've tested it with:

AMD Athlon XP (2500+) 1.6-2.5ghz
    512Mb RAM
    ATi Radeon 9800 512Mb
    1280X1024 resolution

Keeps the 60fps cap windowed and fullscreen.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    It would be cool for me to see how Wine can emulate Direct3D with the use of OpenGL. If you or someone else can post screenshots of it running, so that I can count pixels, it would be great ;)

20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    http://www.soniccenter.org/gerbilsoft/s2hd-4x-2008.09.17.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.