don't click here

***Tech Demo First Release!***

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by LOst, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why is it that I can't see any of the graphics D: (I can see Sonic, the platforms, and the bridge, but the foreground and background are just black).

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Pretty darn impressive! The physics are quite good, and it feels very real. Your system requirements are too high though. I'm running on 1.25GB of RAM, and that does just fine. I'm getting basically 60 fps (it fluxuates back and forth between around 57 and 60). Also, my graphics is a cheap 128MB integrated chip.

3. Wow, I'm late to the party. I went to the beach today and missed most of the thunder it seems. :)

The physics are spot on, the art looks fantastic in-game, and it runs perfectly on my friends' pc (Athlon 5200+, 3GB RAM, ATi x1600Pro) at all resolutions.

Great job! If you guys need a beta tester at any time, don't hesitate to ask, as I don't have many talents applicable to this project, yet I've desired to help all the way since April.

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I was not expecting this to get playable, but hot damn am I glad I was wrong.

Here's hoping we don't get a Sega C&D letter!

5. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    That's very fucking cool!!!!!! By the way, my computer is waaaaay below requirements but it still plays just fine. My frame rate was low but it seemed to move just fine. Good wrok.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Running Vista on a MacBook Pro 17 inch, the only problem I had was when I was playing around with gravity swapping and fell through the floor (I haven't been able to repeat it).

Anyway, full speed everywhere except for the 1x zoom setting, where it's rock solid at 60 most of the time.

I think I fell through the floor by rolling on the ground with gravity reversed (making it the ceiling), and then reversed gravity right when I hit the seam between the two chunks.

7. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Even if they do we can ignore it. It's not being sold therfore it's fine. Case and point: Star Trek: New Voyages

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Good work, you guys. :)

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Well, to avoid that, I would change the whole "© Sonic Retro 2008" bit. Not everything is property of Sonic Retro (like the character of Sonic, for example), so including a "certain rights reserved" note would be smart idea.

To follow up on my lag problem, I can't get this thing to run decently anywhere. Not even on the high end PCs at the film school labs. It runs at 5 FPS or less before just saying, "Fuck you, I don't want you to enjoy this game."

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Not only that, but unless Sonic Retro was registered by you as a company, copyrighting your content to it is a big no no. If someone already has the name "Sonic Retro", they get the rights to your work. It's much safer to claim the relevant rights under the real names of the team members.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Actually, all fangames fall outside of fair use, unless they're a parody =/ Seems stupid, but you know, lawyers always look for that kind of things...

Wow, and I thought my computer sucked for new games o_O Here it runs quite nice. Not at 60FPS, but probably more than 30FPS =/

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I have no problems running the tech demo at full speed. Specs:

3.2ghz Pentium 4
    2GB of DDR2 SDRAM
    GeForce 6600 GT

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Just thought I'd let you all know that my PC's monitor actually IS my HDTV. And the game looks AWESOME. Never dipped below 60fps on any of the three versions, though I couldn't go full screen either. Physics and everything seem to be coming along nicely, and you've accomplished your goal of creating some excitement! Here are my specs:

CPU: Dual-core 2.2 Ghz
    RAM: 4GB
    VIDEO: GeForce 8600, 512 MB
    MONITOR: Sanyo 720p
    RESOLUTION: 1360x768

14. I'm running Windows XP SP3 here and it also uses 380, 000K of memory. Same while fullscreen as well.

It runs pretty good. Like most other people, it usually runs between 55-60 fps.

F1 pauses the game, but not the audio.

This is really great!

I can run it fullscreen. My computer:
    - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    - 2x1gb RAM
    - Nvidia GeForce 6600GT

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Very nice! I especially like the standing on the edge animation.

Runs fine on my kinda old computer as long as I don't have anything else open.

16. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Awesome! This feels more exciting than any official Sonic game from the last 7 years or so! If only there were a full level, I'd play it constantly!

Also, sorry if it's not my place to say this, but I thought this topic was about the release of a tech demo, not about system specs.

17. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    We would appreciate everyone posting their system specs and generally how it runs for them, along with any bugs/problems that they have experienced. Thanks for the comments so far guys, the staff really appreciates it!

Please post your system specs, and check if you have Directx 9.0c installed.

For those who were getting black screens or couldn't go full screen, also please post your system specs.

For those who were able to run it in WINE, please post any relevant settings you tweaked to accomplish this.

----------------------------------------

By the way, in case you guys are interested - here are some of the release stats on the night we released the tech demo:

In 1 hour the highest we reached was 157 users viewing the topic at the same time (123 Guests and 34 members).

[​IMG]

18. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I ran it in Wine by simply extracting both RAR files into the same directory.

19. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    My bad, didn't think of it from a testing standpoint. The game ran flawlessly on my computer.

3GHz CPU
    2GB of RAM (2x1GB)
    Radeon X1950 PRO graphics card (512MB)

20. Awesome stuff, and it runs consistently between 56~60 fps on my desktop, which is an Intel 1.8 GHZ Core Duo with 1 GB of RAM and a shitty in-built graphics card. I'll try running it on my laptop later just for the heck of it to see how slow it runs, since that's a 1.8 GHZ Celeron M with 384 MB of RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.