Taking a cellphone overseas?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RamiroR, Sep 14, 2011.

1. RamiroR

RamiroR

Hey. So basically I'm in Germany right now, and I've been craving for a new phone. So I thought a Sony Ericcson Xperia X10 Mini Pro will do. (It's not incredibly awesome, but it has wi-fi, I'm happy with that).
    I plan to buy it without SIM-lock for obvious reason, but I wanted to know if there is some other factor that might make me go mad when I come back to Argentina with such cellphone.

It'd be great to take it home :B

2. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Who is your provider in Argentina? I imagine the type of connection would make a difference, as well as if they'll allow any phone on their network.

3. Overlord

Overlord

I want to get off Madame Rona's wild ride Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    GSM will work in most countries, you might run into issues if it's CDMA.

4. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Just take it home, It'll not give you any problem in Latin America, we use GSM and 3G here.

Also, nice phone :P

5. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Sony Ericsson phones that have model numbers that end in "A" instead of "I" will work on 2G GSM and 3G GSM in Europe and Latin America. I'm aware of plans by various carriers in the Americas to shut down their 2G networks within 10-24 months to refarm for 4G. So, you'll want to have a phone that supports UMTS 850/1900. Argentina requires a phone that supports GSM1900 and UMTS850 right now, unless your network is Movistar (they use UMTS 1900). GSM 850/1900 is included on every phone sold these days, so that requirement is fulfilled. Few phones in Europe include UMTS 850, because phones usually include UMTS 900 instead. If your network is Movistar, then you're in luck. There are a lot of European phones that include the UMTS 1900 band. The LG Optimus Black would be a good choice. If you need one with a keyboard, then the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro SK17A is a good one too, though the SK17A does include UMTS 850 too. Most LG Android phones released this year and late last year include UMTS 1900 support, at least. The Samsung Galaxy S series of phones in Europe also include the band, as well as the Galaxy S II.