don't click here

Takashi Iizuka

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheKazeblade, Jan 26, 2013.

Is Iizuka a good influence on the franchise?

1. Yeah, he's good!

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. *laughs* No.

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  3. Was good, isn't anymore

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Didn't used to be good, is now

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Undecided

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Before Colors came out, I heard a lot of trash talking about Takashi "Boost" Iizuka, that he was missing the point of the series, too focused on speed, not platforming, etc.

Since Colors and Generations, though, I haven't heard this nearly as much and was curious as to what people's opinions on the man are in general, and whether or not his presence at the helm of the series is a positive or a negative one. I'm not really sure what he does in the position of producer, but since he has been in that title, the games (Colors, Generations) have been pretty dang phenomenal all things considered. Which of course begs the question, is it because of him being a producer that they are good, or is it because he is no longer in a position of direct influence on the game?

I'd like to think that a lot of the credit belongs to Morio Kishimoto and Hiroshi Miyamoto for their direction in Colors and Generations, but it has been only since Iizuka entered the production role that we have seen the removal of unnecessary and cumbersome gimmicks such as the Werehog and more of a focus on pure Sonic gameplay elements, or at least elements that enhance the essentials, rather than hinder them.

Sound off!

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Misfit
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    The word "innovation" is thrown around senselessly these days.

In reality there have only been less than 50 innovators in all of human history.

Takashi Iizuka thinks he's one of them. *breaks down into hysterical laughter*

Anyway yeah, I hate Iizuka for being a headstrong fuckwit who thinks he's above the classics, and I hate him for his shitty clothes and stupid fucking teeth!

3. Yep. He doesn't have much respect for the classics, and he at times even tries to make them sound inferior to the modern games. I think that's mistake one of PR-- cherish the culture of your product, especially when the large majority of fans fuckin' love 'em.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This does piss me off, and he was the mastermind behind many a shit game, but at the same time he was also behind Colors and Generations and those are two of my favorite Sonic games. For that I think he's good, as for PR and his strange hatred for classic Sonic and never considering to bring him back in something called Sonic 4 for fucks sake and his teeth (seriously, take your next 3 paychecks and fix your fucking teeth), those are things he needs to work on.

He's certainly not an innovator though, and he's also quite stubborn. The most creative thing he was behind was Sonic Colors, but the core of that gameplay was based off Unleashed which he didn't make. Generations was a nostalgia fest and Sonic 4 was rehash (Ep 1 in particular, Ep 2 slightly less). And when people were mad about Sonic 4 Ep 1's direction he was like "nahhh it's not that bad, fuck it's better, because you couldn't run on the ceiling in the old games (which you totally could)"

If he doesn't like the classics then fine, just don't bring them up or compare them to the modern games. It's not a fair comparison, they're hardly the same game anymore, but I find modern and classic fun in their own right. Just don't make Sonic 4 again. Either go full classic (16 bit with classic), enhanced classic (Generations classic levels with their graphics and whatnot) or don't, don't half ass it. Also I don't know what his love for Dimps is but they gotta go.

Still beats Naka towards the end though.

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I commend you on making me laugh with that second answer. Describes the guy in a nutshell, really.

6. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Honestly, at this point Iizuka has as much influence in the development as Naka did in the post adventure games.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    He's like Lucas in that his better work tends to come from games in which he's not basically the only guy in charge of decisions -- see also Sonic 3, Nights, Sonic Adventure, etc. Someone's gotta say no to that guy on occasion.

Well, that and the games are better off when they're not the only thing keeping Sega afloat, effectively -- but then again that's hardly a phenomenon unique to him.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    Yuji Naka is a trained programmer. Takashi Iizuka is a trained designer.

Programmers =/= designers (or at least, from the traditional "game design" sense). Sometimes you're landed with people who can do both, but that didn't happen here

Directors/producers/executive roles of this nature are very much "designer++" - you're no longer sorting out the details of the game, but you're still managing its construction from a higher level and the skills are transferrable between the two roles. Programming... not so much.

Yuji Naka not being able to "design" games is totally normal and to be expected, so green lighting Sonic 2006 can be explained. Takashi Iizuka has no excuse - he's designed things throughout his entire career at Sega, so he knew exactly what he was doing when allowing NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and Sonic 4 to exist.

Pushing Yuji Naka into management is questionable and isn't strictly Naka's fault, but far more questionable is why a supposedly trained and experienced game designer thought Sonic 4 was okay.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

A green crystal Member
    The problem with Sonic 4 is the sound direction and game engine, otherwise it's pretty much like New Super Mario Bros with a short budget.

And Sonic 06 was a disaster on the programming side too, even if he didn't code a line he knew the game was badly done.

10. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I think he's a decent game designer and I certainly don't hold anything against him. But like Naka, I don't think he should be in a position to make executive decisions on the games. I hold the same opinion when thinking about Motomu Toriyama and Final Fantasy. He certainly has the ability to write decent additions to stories, but he should not be in a position to make decisions that impact the overall structure of the game. People like these need more direction, someone to watch them and tell them what works and what doesn't - and force them to make the changes and learn from experience.

I did love Sonic Adventure though (the first one). That game is my only exception.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Wasn't Sonic Colours wisps an idea from the original Sonic team, but later adopted by Iizuka? If true he can't be given credit for that idea.

12. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Basically yeah. If you think otherwise then you should stop buying into Sega'a PR bullshit. He seems like an alright guy and probably can make a decent game if he wanted.

That said, the guy really has no idea what makes a good Sonic game. And if I had to guess I'd say any good idea that came from Sonic games recently Iizuka did not support, and in fact probably fought against. Like someone else mentioned, he's a Lucas type, he needs to be told no and can't really be trusted to oversee an entire project.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'll quote my sig for my opinion on the whole Iizuka trash talking:

Code (Text):
    1. def sonicCommunityWhiners():
    2.     if (year >= 2006): causeOfSonicFranchiseSuckage = "Iizuka"
    3.     elif (year < 2006 && year >= 1999): causeOfSonicFranchiseSuckage = "Naka"
    4.     else: causeOfSonicFranchiseSuckage = "CNZ Barrel"
    5.     return causeOfSonicFranchiseSuckage

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    ^I thought Yasuhara-san was responsible for that barrel.

I voted that Iizuka was a good designer in the beginning given his record track record with Sonic 3 (under Yasuhara's direction, granted), NiGHTS, and maybe Sonic Adventure, but I do agree he lost touch with the core Sonic concept (which is mainly platforming with a side of speed, not vice-versa) in the 2000s. Seriously, what was he thinking with Sonic Adventure 2? Did he not see the point of Sonic 10th birthday was because everyone loved and cared about Sonic only? Why did we had to have a game where you control five other characters with different gameplay, and with some tragic back-story about a black hedgehog that resembles Sonic whose human friend died in a space marine raid? Isn't this game suppose to be about SONIC?I didn't mind then, but now... I can't help but wonder why didn't Naka smash Iizuka's face with a keyboard?

15. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    He's fine, I guess. He seems to be doing better as of late, but how much of that is attributable to him, I don't know. I think the franchise needs to be injected with some new blood, and needs someone who both respects the classics and isn't afraid to push new boundaries.

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    He insisted that Sonic 4 needed a homing attack.

If nothing else, it kinda indicates he's out of touch with the paradigms of the 2D games.

17. I suppose that he is good now because of Colours and Generations, but beforehand he wasn't great due to some poor decisions and everything. He just needs to respect the classic games and make sure no new games have kind of Werehog-esque gameplay gimmicks and stuff.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I honestly don't know how to answer this question fairly. He spent a lot of time away from Sonic games after ShTH and before Colours/S4, during which time he was only credited as director for the Rivals games and special thanks in pretty much everything else. Though speaking of Rivals, Backbone originally pitched it as "Sonic Lightning" and then Iizuka insisted on it being a racer instead of a true-to-form Sonic platformer. Colours, S4 and Generations saw him as a producer instead of director as he had been for SA1, SA2 and Heroes.

Hmm, yeah. I'm gonna go with "no". PR nightmare, executive meddling, misunderstanding the series... nah. He's not the only one guilty though. Naka didn't do a lot of good either in later years. And Yoshihasa Hashimoto, Unleashed director, was insistent on the Werehog while others on the development team were strongly against it.

19. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    If I was told correctly, Iizuka was the one who thought Big the Cat was a good idea. That alone already made me answer "no".

20. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    In all honesty, I think the dev team could use some new blood. Iizuka would probably do good as a consultant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.