Tails in Sonic 2 (8-bit) *!Release!*

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hackwrench, May 18, 2020.

1. Lostgame

Lostgame

resident geek girl + record label manager Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Omigosh, what?!?

I mean, ugh, I have issues with Sonic 2 SMS, I absolutely cannot stand the boss of UGZ, even playing the SMS version with the larger screen than the GG version that I grew up with gives me no love.

I can *do* it, I just don’t get joy out of it. Everything after that is pretty much a-okay.

This is massively impressive, and will cause me to do a replay.

Before the internet, I had always wondered what I was missing on how to play as Tails.

I painstakingly got all the Chaos Emeralds on the GG version, thinking; maybe this is it...of course, no. :P

Tails has always been my favourite. This is amazing.

2. Hackwrench

Hackwrench

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  3. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I love your hack. Sonic 2 (GG) is the first game I ever played. Playing the game as Tails is incredible. Congratulations!

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I have to say I'm impressed by this. We don't see enough 8-bit hacks and this is the character hack that always needed to happen.

I like you even altered the cutscenes according to the role reversal.

5. Hackwrench

Hackwrench

An honor to hear that from you. I've played so many of your hacks.
    You know, I remember being on a message board years ago (early 2000's) where this was being discussed and remember someone saying "This would be an easy hack as Tails' palette is loaded in every single level." I waited, figuring that hack would come within a few years or so. I never thought that I'd be the one to do it, and that it would be in 2020.
    I have to thank RavenFreak and Glitch for pointing me to the disassembly. Without them, the cutscenes would be unaltered, the life icon wouldn't be reworked, and the hang glider would Sonic's white glider until Tails starts to use it.

What's next for me? I'm looking at Sonic 1 SMS. I found MaSS1VE which is supposed to be able to do some editing, but I can't even get that program to launch. If I have to go in hard mode.. well, it wouldn't be the first time.
    And for the YouTube channel, I'm going to be showing off some exploits and easter eggs that I managed to find, that to my knowledge are not widely known if at all. Quite a few of them are in Sonic games.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
  7. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    This is great! I love it.

Here's one for you: in underground zone act 3, wait for the timer to get to 9 minutes (or set $D29A if you can't be bothered to wait), then jump off the ledge and hold down+2 while Robotnik lifts you up. If you time it perfectly, when Robotnik lets go you can immediately hold right, jump over the boss and go straight to the animal capsule at the end.

This only works if the timer is >9 minutes so it's useless for speedruns :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List